diets that work

nikki 74

what diets have other kickbackers used and had success with? i,v followed my own diet and have cut right back on bread , pasta and potatoes and have started having salad with my meals (the salad makes up 60% of my meal) and have started drinking water when i get hunger pangs and so far i have managed to come down from a size 16 and i am almost into a size 12 now, i,d be happy if i managed to get into a size 8/10.

The Merse
a controlled one with excercise

That's the only sustainable one thats for sure.

Don't stuff your face and do some exercise and that's all you need to do really I'd say.

Shame I don't do that myself but hey ho.

;)

coppercrutch

I am no dietitian. You don't have to be to give this most simple of advice.

Calories in = less than calories going out.

Balanced diet.

Lots of fruit and Veg.

Lots of exercise.

Simple. All the rest are a sham. Never had to use one myself. :)

lyonjambo
I am no dietitian. You don't have to be to give this most simple of advice.

Calories in = less than calories going out.

Balanced diet.

Lots of fruit and Veg.

Lots of exercise.

Simple. All the rest are a sham. Never had to use one myself. :)

I totally agree with you on the three other points but if you have less calories going in than out then you will have no energy at all and your body will start to retain fat and water as it will think it is being starved!

An average woman should try to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day and a man around 2000-2500! A balanced diet and plenty of exercise will keep you slim. Calorie intake should actually be increased if you are doing loads of exercise as you will need more to keep your energy up.

coppercrutch
I totally agree with you on the three other points but if you have less calories going in than out then you will have no energy at all and your body will start to retain fat and water as it will think it is being starved!

An average woman should try to eat around 1500-2000 calories a day and a man around 2000-2500! A balanced diet and plenty of exercise will keep you slim. Calorie intake should actually be increased if you are doing loads of exercise as you will need more to keep your energy up.

We are in agreement :)

However the question was about 'diets' and if you are looking for a 'diet' that works - then less calories in than going out is sort of a necessity...:rolleyes:

lyonjambo
We are in agreement :)

However the question was about 'diets' and if you are looking for a 'diet' that works - then less calories in than going out is sort of a necessity...:rolleyes:

ummmm do you mean less calories than usual? :confused: if you burn up all the calories that you consume your body will starve! Your intake of calories sould always be more than you burn even if you are on a diet!!! r

Regular exercise and healthier meal options that provide "good" fats and release energy slowly will make you lose weight whilst still being healthy!

what diets have other kickbackers used and had success with? i,v followed my own diet and have cut right back on bread , pasta and potatoes and have started having salad with my meals (the salad makes up 60% of my meal) and have started drinking water when i get hunger pangs and so far i have managed to come down from a size 16 and i am almost into a size 12 now, i,d be happy if i managed to get into a size 8/10.

Instead of eating say three reasonable size meals a day. Eat five to seven small meals a day with the same amount of calories as the three meals would have had. This will keep your metabolism at its optimum level resulting in reduced hunger pains and will give you more energy throughout the day. Drinking green tea will also help with the metabolism its extracts from green tea which you get in most diet pills. If you are exercising I would recommend high intensity interval training. Good luck

Kalamazoo Jambo

You can't expect to lose weight if calories in aren't less than calories out.

lyonjambo

Yes you can, it is all about burning energy....no one can survive if by the end of the day they have burned all the calories they have eaten off. I am suggesting that a person should take regular exercise and not eat unhealthy food, but you will only cause damage to your body if you burn every single calorie you eat!!!! That is not the point of a diet. You WILL lose wieght by eating healthily and exercising and of course you will lose weight if you burn all your calories out of your system but your body wont thank you for it as it is not healthy!

Kalamazoo Jambo

At the risk of oversimplification - one pound of body fat contains about 3,500 calories - in order to lose weight, you need to burn more calories than you take in.

The sensible way of doing this is by managing your calorific intake, and increased exercise.

coppercrutch

That is what I was trying to point out..............

And BTW I have actually put on half a stone since getting fitter and eating healthier.

That is what running up hills does to your thighs !!

Kalamazoo Jambo
That is what I was trying to point out..............

And BTW I have actually put on half a stone since getting fitter and eating healthier.

That is what running up hills does to your thighs !!

Yep, muscle is a lot denser than fat.

It all sounds so easy - but why isn't it. How do you know how many calories you take in, and even more difficult how do you know how many you burn. It's not like we are cars with fuel gauges.

I eat a lot less than I did 20 years ago yest I am 3 1/2 stone heavier ???

Kalamazoo Jambo
It all sounds so easy - but why isn't it. How do you know how many calories you take in, and even more difficult how do you know how many you burn. It's not like we are cars with fuel gauges.

I eat a lot less than I did 20 years ago yest I am 3 1/2 stone heavier ???

Your metabolism slows as you get older, which basically means that you don't burn as many calories as you used to.

Also, sometimes small changes in your lifestyle make a difference over time. Even an extra mile of walking a day makes a big difference.

Edit: here's a simple way to estimate your calorie requirements...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

Your metabolism slows as you get older, which basically means that you don't burn as many calories as you used to.

Also, sometimes small changes in your lifestyle make a difference over time. Even an extra mile of walking a day makes a big difference.

Edit: here's a simple way to estimate your calorie requirements...

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/calorie-calculator/NU00598

Thanks, but it still does not tell me how many calories I am having.

Basically I just have to live with being a fat bas,,, ooops person!

Pete Seeger

5 small meals a day, each one containing a good supply of protein. Plenty egg whites, nuts, meat and fish. I've put on about half a stone in a month. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Dunno how anyone could live without bread/pasta/fish/potatoes ... that's the majority of my diet! :eek::eek:

Here's a question for the fitness fanatics:

Is it good for you to exercise everyday or should you be having rest days?

Dunno how anyone could live without bread/pasta/fish/potatoes ... that's the majority of my diet! :eek::eek:

Here's a question for the fitness fanatics:

Is it good for you to exercise everyday or should you be having rest days?

If its weight training you do you should have at least two days of a week.

If its weight training you do you should have at least two days of a week.

Mainly cardiovascular really mate.

Any advice on what to do if you despise salad and vegetables.

I like fruit but that's a bit weird to put at the side of your plate.

Mainly cardiovascular really mate.

I would still take one or two days off. It canny be good for you doing cardio every day.

Pete Seeger

Not sure how good they are for you beccause I eat veg but there's always these vitiman tablets. Doubt you would get all the goodness from a pill that you would get from fresh veg and salad though.

Bindy Badgy

Most salads are a wast of time nutritionally. All they are is water.

However, plenty of fruit and vegetables is important.

Can you not just mix veg through stuff instead of having it separately at the side of your plate. Then at least you're disguising the taste a bit.

Otherwise I suppose you could take vitamin tablets, but I wouldn't really suggest relying too heavily on them

I'd say a pill was even weirder to put at the side of a plate.

Looking to lose a little weight before I go to Ibiza in 5 weeks time. Not too much, just wanting to shed the beer belly I've built up over the last 5 months. Too busy with dissertation for trip to shops, also without a car I can't buy too much, so just ordered off tesco.com. Gone for fresh salmon, lean beef steak, skinless chicken, turkey breast, whole grain bread, a few bits of fruit, massive box of cornflakes and semi-skimmed milk.

Wanted to get soup and just realised I've fogotten. ****

The Old Tolbooth
Stuff the diet, I like big girls!;)

Thats fair enough, but can you eat a whole one? :eek:

Pete Seeger

Looking to lose a little weight before I go to Ibiza in 5 weeks time. Not too much, just wanting to shed the beer belly I've built up over the last 5 months. Too busy with dissertation for trip to shops, also without a car I can't buy too much, so just ordered off tesco.com. Gone for fresh salmon, lean beef steak, skinless chicken, turkey breast, whole grain bread, a few bits of fruit, massive box of cornflakes and semi-skimmed milk.

Thats a good selection. Try oily fishes like smoked makeral. I didn't eat much veg until a couple of years ago but i find that any meat goes really well with asparagus and green beans. Full of the good stuff. Dunno if you've ever tried soya milk but I'm almost converted. It's actually pretty good.

Stewart MacD

Not bad, but skip the corn flakes.

blondejamtart

Have you thought about making the vegetables into soup? When my kids were younger and going through fussy eating phases, I used to find they would happily eat all kinds of soup (especially if it was liquidised or blended), even if they wouldn't eat the actual vegetables normally.

coppercrutch
Mainly cardiovascular really mate..

I do about 4 days a week. Warm up good before each run and stretch properly after each one. Probably do 20 minutes warm down and stretching each time. Get very few injuries and my fitness is doing well.

Vary your cardio as well.

One day do short sharp training for maybe only 20 minutes (Lampost training is good, or find a short hill and sprint up it and jog back down a few times)

Another day do hill running, great for your leg muscles. Immense for overall fitness. But it can make you feel physically sick if you are working hard. :rolleyes:

Another day do a longer steady run. Easy pace but keep it going for maybe an 40-60 minutes.

Final day do something different. Maybe take your bike out or go for a swim. Even five a side football is great for your fitness.

And most important start off easy with short distances and build it up when you feel ready. Your body will tell you when you can go that little bit further, or run that little bit faster.

After a few months you will notice the difference.

I do about 4 days a week. Warm up good before each run and stretch properly after each one. Probably do 20 minutes warm down and stretching each time. Get very few injuries and my fitness is doing well.

Vary your cardio as well.

One day do short sharp training for maybe only 20 minutes (Lampost training is good, or find a short hill and sprint up it and jog back down a few times)

Another day do hill running, great for your leg muscles. Immense for overall fitness. But it can make you feel physically sick if you are working hard. :rolleyes:

Another day do a longer steady run. Easy pace but keep it going for maybe an 40-60 minutes.

Final day do something different. Maybe take your bike out or go for a swim. Even five a side football is great for your fitness.

And most important start off easy with short distances and build it up when you feel ready. Your body will tell you when you can go that little bit further, or run that little bit faster.

After a few months you will notice the difference.

Good advice CC but I'm mainly at the Gym at the moment.

My weights not a problem but after going to the gym for about a week or so I'm shocked at how bad my fitness is!

I play fives twice a week and could run about all night but put me on a rowing machine and I'm fecked within minutes!

coppercrutch
Good advice CC but I'm mainly at the Gym at the moment.

My weights not a problem but after going to the gym for about a week or so I'm shocked at how bad my fitness is!

I play fives twice a week and could run about all night but put me on a rowing machine and I'm fecked within minutes!

Get out of the gym !! Look at the weather, and running is free. ;)

Edinburgh has loads of great runs to go on. You should take advantage. I just don't get this whole gym thing. I hate them !!

I've been using the gym in the last 6 months and I'm quite a bit fitter and not quite as podgy as before.

I still have the odd beer and burger, so I'm not losing weight as fast as I could, but for me it's all about gradual lifestye changes, like replacing cornflakes with porridge, and only having chippies only when I'm drunk instead of two nights a week as well as the late night take-away on a Saturday.

I don't do a lot of cardio when I'm in the gym. Just a wee short blast at the beginning, and then a quick swim afterwards. I always start with the rowing machine and do 2000m or 3000m (trying to beat my PB - down to 7min 19sec for the 2000 - which is pretty quick). Then I just hit the weights doing all major muscle groups before going to the pool.

People think you need to do cardio to lose weight, but weight training actually burns a higher percentage of fat, and you burn calories while you're recovering as well.

I don't want anyone to take this as a dig at them, and certainly not the thread starter who's obviously being successful with her diet, well done (if that doesn't sound too patronising), but...

It annoys me when people moan about it being difficult to go on a diet. The obvious answer is to just eat less ****e and more good stuff and do more exercise. Crash diets don't work, they're a stupid idea, you'll lose weight in the short term then go back to the same old habits and start losing weight again.

Cutting back on unhealthy stuff isn't difficult. I usually have a high calorie (sp?) intake because I do a lot of exercise (four days a week at the gym for about two hours, one hour's CV and one hour's upper body work), so when I broke my leg I was a bit worried about how much I'd be eating and how that'd affect my weight / fitness as obviously I couldn't get as much exercise done...so I just stopped eating sweets, crisps etc. and drinking fizzy juice until I was able to start exercising again, and am still eating less because I'm not able to get much CV done as the leg's still not quite right. It was really easy. Anyone who claims otherwise is talking pish, to eat ****e you have to make a conscious effort to do so in actually buying it then opening the pack and eating it. I really don't see how anyone can find it difficult to stop.

championsleaguefan

How I lost 3 stone in 6 months.

1 Breakfast rice crispies or wheatibix with skimmed milk.

2 lunch Slimfast shake with skimmed Milk.

3 Dinner 100g pasta with a little amount of sauce (one jar of sauce would last all week ) one chicken breast chopped up.

4 Snack on fruit I chop up fruit usually apple, banna ,pineapple,Strawberries and plums. Eat this when the hunger grabs you.

5 Drink lots of water.

6 walk at least 3 miles 3 times a week. Bought weights bench and weights do 5 sets of 8 reps bench press same for arm curls,shoulder press ,squats. press ups with feet on a chair and hands on the dumb bells works the shoulders and chest. now for the hard bit build up your sit up slowly untill you can do 100 sit ups in a row (when I started I could only manage 10 belive me its hard but it get easier) do leg raises and abb crunchies introduce weights to you sit ups put a weight plate on your chest to do this.

I know it sounds hard but it get to be a routine.

I was 15 stone 9 pounds now I am 12 stone 8 pounds.

I now eat more steak,chicken ,turkey oh and poached eggs.All these foods give you protien I also started to use Whey protien to help with building muscel. I am putting some weight back on now but its the right kind rock solid muscel. I have a six pack poking through now. My mates all think I am dying as I have lost so much weight.

Down side to this is I have had to buy a whole new set of threads.

But I feel really good and look good.

So go on try it I was like anyone else you think you cant do it try it for six weeks and I bet you see a diffrence and when you do you will be encouraged to keep it up.

So the boys fat what he gonna do eat some more.

Not bad, but skip the corn flakes.

Wanted to have a kind of small thing that I quite liked to eat but I think I'll get skimmed next time. Going to walk to university today if I can get my ****ing IPod to work.

How about e's? :rolleyes:

You'll get plenty of that where your going boyo! :eek:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Eat what you want and do some exercise.

All fatties are lazy in my opinion.

:eek:

;)

the voice from above
Kidding! :eek:

Bit rich coming from the guy that said snort more coke. :cool:

snorting coke for a diet supplement is exclusively for the rich :cool:

snorting coke for a diet supplement is exclusively for the rich :cool:

:laugh:

That counts me out then. Not a bucket to **** in nor a window to throw it out of.

Archived