Windows 8 and new PC suggestions

Italian Lambretta

Italian Lambretta

Was lookng to by a new All in One touchscreen PC but reading the reviews about windows 8 its put me off.

So looked at Apple Mac but they are not compatible with my Web design software and they dont come with an integrated Cd drive.

So im not sure what to buy now.

Anyone got any suggestions?

kingantti1874

Windows 8 is great as long as you buy a touchscreen laptop or tablet... Using with a mouse is tragic

Windows 8 is great as long as you buy a touchscreen laptop or tablet... Using with a mouse is tragic

Only tragic if you are daft enough to run it in 'tile' mode, click into desktop mode and it's the same as any other windows machine!

kingantti1874

Only tragic if you are daft enough to run it in 'tile' mode, click into desktop mode and it's the same as any other windows machine!

Yes mate 100% agree, should have made myself clear...

Windows 8 is pretty much windows 7 with no start button.

Remove all the useless tiles and put apps that you use regularly on the tile page.

You'll mostly press Desktop and use it like Windows 7 anyway.

If you want, there are apps which give you the start button back (there are even rumours, Microsoft is gonna put it back in an update)

The boot up time of win8 is brilliant.

John Gentleman

Download 'Classic Shell' (though there are dozens of alternatives). Classic Shell is free and open source. The default installation bypasses the 'metro' screen and, best of all, restores your START button.

That is a giant feck-up on the part of Microsoft though. About on the scale of Coca Cola when it tried to launch 'New Coke' as a replacement for, ..emmm...'Old Coke'. A demonstration of how to alienate all of your customer base in one hard lesson.

kingantti1874

Download 'Classic Shell' (though there are dozens of alternatives). Classic Shell is free and open source. The default installation bypasses the 'metro' screen and, best of all, restores your START button.

That is a giant feck-up on the part of Microsoft though. About on the scale of Coca Cola when it tried to launch 'New Coke' as a replacement for, ..emmm...'Old Coke'. A demonstration of how to alienate all of your customer base in one hard lesson.

Not really, they've sold over 100million copies which is on par with 7 after the same amount of time... They are trying to transition to a more modern, competitive interface especially in the tablet space... Going to take time to make such a leap... I actually like the tiles and apps when using for 90 % of tasks...

But if you have an older pc, with a std trackpad and a mouse, no multitouch or no touchscreen you'd be as well staying with 7

The People's Chimp

Have it on the work laptop which is an HP probook, with i5 chip. Runs pretty well, just use W8 in desktop mode and it's totally fine.

The only people who dont like Windows 8 are the ones that havent figured out you can change it into windows 7.

I'll let you draw your own conclusions on their mental capacity.

John Gentleman

Not really, they've sold over 100million copies which is on par with 7 after the same amount of time...

Aye, but only because it's pre-loaded on new machines........so your average punter has no choice. I know one mid-sized corporate who recently bought a heap of Win 8 boxes only to have his ICT people wipe them clean and install Win 7.

At least in the case of 'New Coke', consumers had a reasonable alternative in Pepsi .

Aye, but only because it's pre-loaded on new machines........so your average punter has no choice. I know one mid-sized corporate who recently bought a heap of Win 8 boxes only to have his ICT people wipe them clean and install Win 7.

At least in the case of 'New Coke', consumers had a reasonable alternative in Pepsi .

You say a company selling new kit with the latest OS as if it's a bad thing?

Companies have been buying new desktops and laptops and rolling back windows versions to suit their servers/internal systems for years, there will still be companies out there that roll back to XP!

In fact most IT hardware tenders will ask for a price to 'downgrade' the current OS!

Was lookng to by a new All in One touchscreen PC but reading the reviews about windows 8 its put me off.

So looked at Apple Mac but they are not compatible with my Web design software and they dont come with an integrated Cd drive.

So im not sure what to buy now.

Anyone got any suggestions?

You can use windows on mac, read this link: http://www.parallels.com/uk/

MS seem to be backtracking on Windows 8 now, I'd not be buying any device with that OS on it just now....

Windows Blue anyone?

Archived