unexpected casting in films

Neilson's Shank

Neilson's Shank

Day off today so I had a look on Sky movies for something that I had fancied but never got round to watching.

Settled on Gangs of New York, pretty good, and was surprised by seeing Alex Happy Howden and Bill Barclay appear.

This is the most unusual piece of casting since Ricky Fulton appeared as a KGB Major in Gorky Park.

Any other unusual bits of casting.

Maroon Sailor

Day off today so I had a look on Sky movies for something that I had fancied but never got round to watching.

Settled on Gangs of New York, pretty good, and was surprised by seeing Alex Happy Howden and Bill Barclay appear.

This is the most unusual piece of casting since Ricky Fulton appeared as a KGB Major in Gorky Park.

Any other unusual bits of casting.

Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins !

Christian Bale as batman and Tom Cruise as jack reacher are two recent ones off the top of my head but I am sure there are stranger ones.

The bloke that played Pingu in Nathan Barley appearing as one of the lead roles in Cloud Atlas.

PsychocAndy

Glen Michael's bit was cut in Kick Ass.

rudi must stay

John Barrowman in Zero Dark Thirty.

was going to say that too. The worst casting choice i've ever seen in a movie

Ryan Jarman

Worst casting ever award goes to Elijah Wood in Green Street :vrface:

Currahee!

Sean Bean in Ronin.

I like to think he got bombed out from Robert De Niro for being a terrible actor rather than a terrible character.

The bloke that played Pingu in Nathan Barley appearing as one of the lead roles in Cloud Atlas.

He's done well himself and is very well thought of. I can't take him seriously in anything though as I can only see him as Pingu.

Sean Connery as a Russian sailor from Fountainbridge, Sean Connery as an Irish cop from...Fountainbridge etc etc.

chubby1973

John Wark in Escape to Victory.

he got one line & it was dubbed!!

He's done well himself and is very well thought of. I can't take him seriously in anything though as I can only see him as Pingu.

Sean Connery as a Russian sailor from Fountainbridge, Sean Connery as an Irish cop from...Fountainbridge etc etc.

he was also an Italian taxi driver, (sophie lauren movie, some thing princess?)

Ryan Jarman

Ian brown in harry potter. Whit.

Phil Selway, Jonny Greenwood and Jarvis Cocker too.

Thought Gerard Butler was an odd casting for his role in Olympus has fallen

Tim Booth in Batman Begins.

I still remember saying aloud in the cinema "****s sake, that's Tim Booth from James!"

I P Knightley

Hang on. Didn't his Irish cop play a 15th century Portuguese nobleman? From Fountainbridge?

Always thought that Ewan McGregor came over in Trainspotting as a public schooler trying (poorly) to pull off a Leef Jakie accent.

Jimmy McNulty

John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. Knowing nothing about the movie when I went to see it, my original thought was WTF?

Kalamazoo Jambo

I think some people have moved from unexpected casting to shite casting, which isn't necessarily the same thing. Unexpected (at the time) but ultimately great casting would for me include Jim Carrey in The Truman Show and Leslie Nielsen in Airplane! One moving from comedic to straight roles, and the other going in the opposite direction.

Slightly off topic cause its not a movie thing, but Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bel Air did the voice for Shredder, the bad guy in the teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon. Weird.

EreWeG0..

Mr Bronson of grange hill popping up as darth vaders right hand man in empire strikes back and hitler in indiana jones and the last crusade.

He did well in both

Maurice Moss

Not a film but Stephen Graham as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire.

Vincent B.A

Slightly off topic cause its not a movie thing, but Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince of Bel Air did the voice for Shredder, the bad guy in the teenage mutant ninja turtles cartoon. Weird.

Ringo Starr done the voice over in Thomas The Tank Engine.

In terms of poor castings, Russell Crow in the film Robin Hood was a bit of a strange one. His accent was all over the place. If i remember right, I'm sure Sean Connery played a Spainard in Highlander.

Forza Cuore

A shot at glory?

It is. My Mrs and Me are sitting just to the right of Duvalls left eye in the stand there. Most boring day of my life...

Archived