Chicken Run (For Cover)

Deodato

JKB,

On our financial situation, would it be fair to say there is a game of poker taking place at the moment, no one knows who all the players actually are and, equally, no one knows who is holding the key cards. Yet, in terms of desirable outcomes, 'doing a Motherwell' makes a fair bit of balanced sense.

So, the old adage of 'if you wanted to get somewhere, you wouldn't start from here' applies.

There is a plausible scenario where everything turns out rosy but to do so we have to play chicken run and get close to the edge. There's been plenty of sensible on JKB (way more than in the press) but I would add the following consideration to working out what our next move is, if it is to actually move (or just watch poker play out).

- Debt is insanely cheap, (and thanks to the ECB has just got cheaper) so how does the treatment of our debt play out when interest rates are below inflation and eroding debt in the process?

I'm hopeful. Debt jubilees are a real phenomena during a credit crunch, and incentives are broadly aligned for a going concern status. I guess we just have to sit back, hold on tightly and let go lightly as this one plays out.

By the way, this video summarises why I love the Hearts. What video summarises your love for Heart of Midlothian football club?

Eumir Deodato.

Archived