Help & advice required please Shed'ers - mouse wars are ON.

redm

Had a lovely experience this morning when alarm went off and I woke up to see a mouse about 5 feet away, throwing itself against my closed bedroom door in a desperate effort to escape. Mouse must have been feeling intrepid and decided to explore the flat only for the door to come off the stopper and trap it in there beside me. Cosy. I got a fright and made some sort of weird strangled squeaking noise and it actually managed to jump a good foot in the air too. Proper springy wee basket. I'd describe the scenes which then ensued but I'm sure you can probably guess how it went....

Anyhow, I've decided that's it. Mouse wars are well and truly on just as soon as I have a plan of attack.

They originally appeared in the flat around Christmas time and at first we tried the standard traps with chocolate/peanut butter etc. but had no luck whatsoever. A concerned friend then sent her cat to stay at my place for a wee mouse hunt holiday and unless he's a meticulous chewed mouse clean-up and disposal expert as well as a furry assassin, I don't think he had much luck catching them either. The mice did seem to move out regardless though and we hadn't seen them since until this morning's incident.

So, this lot evade traps. I can't get a cat of my own so that's out. I don't want to put down poison anywhere because I don't want to kill any of my friends kids or dogs when they come to visit. I haven't tried those sonic plug in thingies but people tell me they're crap and don't work anyway. What can I do, Kickback? Edinburgh isn't short of a rodent or two, your own mouse war hints and tips would be most welcome.

If you know the sorce of entry they use, block it with wirewool, & i would put down bait boxes!!

Jambo_ree

Did you know they can actually crawl into your mouth when you are sleeping and live in your stomach?

Franklin Delano Bluth

Can of lynx and a lighter.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Did you know they can actually crawl into your mouth when you are sleeping and live in your stomach?

:biggrin:

AND THEN MOUSE BABIES COME OUT YOUR BUM.

You know I'm actually going to worry about that a wee bit now? Hmeh. I saw how they can jump and climb....

superjack

Of you catch it alive use it for some feltching.

Insert a cardboard tube up your bottom and then let the mouse have a run around, but don't try and tempt him out by using a lighter as it could get sore.

If you're unsure of the best way to enjoy this experience, search for a radio clip on you tube called Armageddon. That is full of all the advice you need. (Posting on my phone so I can't just post a link)

This is the entrance/exit.

Was wondering if I could cover the vents with some sort of mesh or is that dangerous given that they ventilate the boiler cupboard?

uzy5ygy9.jpg

yrenybet.jpg

Dont cover the vent. It would defeat the purpose of why its there. Mice always move around running along the skirtings of rooms. Put any traps / bait boxes along them. Also put a trap along side next to your bin in the kitchen. Wherever there is a scent of food. Under the vent in your photo i'd put glue pads as long as the cat doesnt go near them it will catch the mice no problem at all if thats where they are coming from.

I've used the sonic plug in things before in a previous flat and they actually did work.

Well, maybe they're worth adding to the armoury just in case then.

Can dogs/cats hear them?

Dont cover the vent. It would defeat the purpose of why its there. Mice always move around running along the skirtings of rooms. Put any traps / bait boxes along them. Also put a trap along side next to your bin in the kitchen. Wherever there is a scent of food. Under the vent in your photo i'd put glue pads as long as the cat doesnt go near them it will catch the mice no problem at all if thats where they are coming from.

I thought mesh might work because it won't block them up as such. Just make them more difficult to crawl through?

And GLUE PADS? As in pads that mice will stick to? Oh blimey. That sounds hideous. I have visions of coming home to squealing, sticky mice careering about the floor. Ack.

Gorgiewave

If you know how they're getting in, close it with polyfilla. My granny had them coming in through the pipe under the kitchen sink. I can't see the picture on my phone, but mesh would have to have very small holes. The ones in my granny's house escaped under the kitchen door. They might also eat through it.

I thought mesh might work because it won't block them up as such. Just make them more difficult to crawl through?

And GLUE PADS? As in pads that mice will stick to? Oh blimey. That sounds hideous. I have visions of coming home to squealing, sticky mice careering about the floor. Ack.

Mice can get through the absolute tiniest of gaps so it tells you just how much you have to fill the vent. You would simply hhave to seal it with it and its not advised.

Yes, nothing better than having to pick a mouse of a glue pad. Rubber gloved of course. The mouse cant move at all once its on it and the glue isnt like watery its just like the sticky side of brown tape but much stronger and the tiniest git gluey. But the thought that its running, pissing and the rest all over your food prep areas soon takes the edge of it :-p If you think its just the one and the vent is probably the only entrance/exit then just glue pad the floor under it and always keep it that way. Poison can take a bit to work and nothing worse than if a mouse is pregnant popping in an out..

But do take the mouse off a glue pad carefully though :-)

Well, maybe they're worth adding to the armoury just in case then.

Can dogs/cats hear them?

Not 100% but I don't think that they affect dogs/cats

Ooh, imagine, you come home and there's wee "Stumpy". The mouse who gnawed off it's own foot to escape....

EreWeG0..

The shed has a different type of vermin discussed than the terrace. :lol:

Dried pasta, leave lots out, mouse eats, goes home, pasta expands in its stomach and kills it.

joe.gausden

You may be able to cover the gap with soffit vent mesh.

2 things you have to do, first make sure that all food is stored properly, use tupperware boxes and tubs etc for everything that doesn't come in a sealed container, mice won't stay where there isn't any food for them!

Secondly buy a trap, most types work the same it's up to you whether you want to kill them or release them away from your house!

Oh and the sonic devices might work initially but like anything rodents will just become used to the noise!

Notbrainwashed

I think the sonic devices are at least worth a shot, seeing as it's the only thing not tried yet and some people reckon they work (incidentally my grandparents have them and don't claim to have seen any mice in their place). Worth a blast.

After that? Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

I think the sonic devices are at least worth a shot, seeing as it's the only thing not tried yet and some people reckon they work (incidentally my grandparents have them and don't claim to have seen any mice in their place). Worth a blast.

After that? Take off and nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure

:laugh: Or alternatively, use tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs, sonic, electronic ball breakers, nukes, knives or sharp sticks.

PortyJambo

We've had a problem for a while now with mice (fingers crossed it seems to be sorted at the moment), and those sonic devices work at first but then I reckon the mice invented mouse-earplugs or something as they seemed to do nothing after a few weeks! Old fashioned mousetraps, humane catch-and-release traps, enclosed poisoned traps...all worked and caught a mouse or two, but they kept coming back and then avoided the traps. We live in a tenement and 3 of the other flats have now got cats, so it seems to be a building-wide problem.

Read some horror stories about the glue traps, and to be honest, although I hate mice now, I don't hate them that much.

The last, and to now most effective thing we tried, is this electrified rat-trap http://www.amazon.co...0?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Put peanut butter in it and didn't turn it on, so that the mice would get used to it, then when they thought we were being kind and leaving out a nice source of food every night we flipped the switch on the electric chair. Two dead mice later, and no sign of them since. The trap's still down, but not on at the moment so any new ones get their (false) hopes up.

Oh, and as you can see from above, there is never just 1 mouse....

Whatever you do don't think about the fact that mice don't have a sphincter on their bladder and constantly dribble urine.

I had a mouse problem not long after moving in after I got the house rewired, but before the plastering etc was done (so they could get about fairly easily). I got two cats and, lots of dead mice later, they soon got the idea and never came back to the area, never mind my house. Neighbours who had also had mice were very impressed by the ruthless efficiency of my mini tigers!

Tams bird

I have the sonic thing. Rubbish. Poisoned them. Filled the hole side of the fridge with expanding foam... Found a skeleton when getting new fridge... Eek...

Peanuts work, but sometimes smaller mice can eat the bait without setting the trap off as they are so light.

You can get the humane traps though,like a tunnel with a slight bend in them. Mouse runs up the far end for food, trap tips, door shuts. Then you can waterboard the little ****s.

I caught a mouse with my bare hands last week when I was emptying my compost bin. I felt like Bear Grylls.

Snake Plissken

"One pair can produce 2,000 offspring in a matter of months". Bloody hell. :dizzy2:

Sounds familiar...

335036.jpg

Cheers, Snake. Guaranteed that wee piece of footage there will feature prominently in my mousemares tonight.

So we're going for mesh, sonic boxes, glue pads, humane traps, pasta and nuclear weapons then. Gotcha.

After reading some mouse management stuff online I think I'll probably try the sonic whaddyamacallit, get some steel wool and stuff it in any gaps I find in cupboards and then get a wee bit mesh for the vents. Sprinkling peppermint oil around also helps if you're short on lion poo, apparently.

Some guy in the English countryside was saying on a forum that he's had a problem with mice for about a year now but can't bring himself to kill them. He catches them in humane traps and then disposes of them outside but before he releases them he paints a wee bit Tipex on their heads just so he can tell if it's the same beasties crawling back in time and time again. Apparently it is too. :biggrin:

I was laying a carpet for my brother when he has a bit of a mouse problem going on. I was on my knees tapping in carpet tacks when I caught sight of one out the corner of my eye about 2 foot from me and managed hit it square on with a lovely shot with the hammer. Burst everywhere and all my brother did was moan about the mess I'd made on his new carpet.

Ungrateful bugger.

Franklin Delano Bluth

I was laying a carpet for my brother when he has a bit of a mouse problem going on. I was on my knees tapping in carpet tacks when I caught sight of one out the corner of my eye about 2 foot from me and managed hit it square on with a lovely shot with the hammer. Burst everywhere and all my brother did was moan about the mess I'd made on his new carpet.

Ungrateful bugger.

applause_thumb%5B2%5D.gif?imgmax=800

ArcticJambo

The shed has a different type of vermin discussed than the terrace. :lol:

Dried pasta, leave lots out, mouse eats, goes home, pasta expands in its stomach and kills it.

Similar to how some Inuit would kill wolves (competition for resources in hard times) ... small pieces of baleen, sharpened and folded, and frozen just enough to to insert in meat scraps. Wolves eat scraps and baleen opens up inside stomach, cutting insides causing wolves to die of internal bleeding.

Not sure where you're going to get Bowhead whale baleen though redm.

Guest GhostHunter

Homebase/B&Q and buy a humane mouse trap.

Then block up the access point.

Then fumigate - mice pee just about every 5 secs, and poo equally as frequently....those little black pellets on your floor, aren't sock fluff.

Snake Plissken

You can always count on AJ for a crowd pleasing fairytale.

I hope one day he releases a children's book.

Bedtime Stories with Arctic Jambo would out-sell Harry Potter tenfold.

Chester Perry

Surprised no one's done the 'I'll come round and take a look at your rat' type joke yet.

Franklin Delano Bluth

**** it, why not?

spiderthatcouldprobably.jpg

Currahee!

Don't cover the vents at the boiler.

They are sized for proper air flow and covering them, even with mesh can reduce the airflow and reduce the effects of your boiler at best or cause poor combustion and cause CO poisoning/death at worst.

Archived