Any Cricket players??

edinburgh_red

heartgarfunkel

"We would show you a picture of our pavilion, but unfortunately it was burnt down during the 2006 season."

Quality. Hopefully by one of your own players.;)

Seriously, good luck in your hunt for players. Going by the website, I get the impression that it could be quite a social set-up. I live away from Edinburgh nowso can't take up your offer, but would urge Kickbackers to give it a go, it's a great game to play, and very social. Some of the the best laughs I've ever had were playing for the truly shocking Meadowbank C.C. in the late 80s/early 90s. Couple of decent players and loads of idiots, happy days, edged fast deliveries into my coupon a couple of times, the ball is not soft.:cheese:

super_vlad
Hi there, just wondering if there's any budding cricketers here looking for a regular game!?? If so then look no further than here! http://www.edinburghsouthcc.org

Many thanks!

Sounds quite good, i'll see if some of my mates are interested and get back to you. What days to you play ?

rossi_1983
Hi there, just wondering if there's any budding cricketers here looking for a regular game!?? If so then look no further than here! http://www.edinburghsouthcc.org

Many thanks!

I have hardly ever played cricket (only an occasional hit with mates) but am interested in playing it more

Would be tempted to come along, as long as the standard isn't too high

I though Cricket was a company who make smoking paraphernalia.

...what do you mean its a sport? :confused:

CornhillHearts
"We would show you a picture of our pavilion, but unfortunately it was burnt down during the 2006 season."

Quality. Hopefully by one of your own players.;)

Seriously, good luck in your hunt for players. Going by the website, I get the impression that it could be quite a social set-up. I live away from Edinburgh nowso can't take up your offer, but would urge Kickbackers to give it a go, it's a great game to play, and very social. Some of the the best laughs I've ever had were playing for the truly shocking Meadowbank C.C. in the late 80s/early 90s. Couple of decent players and loads of idiots, happy days, edged fast deliveries into my coupon a couple of times, the ball is not soft.:cheese:

Did you play in the famous 2 all out game?

I used to play a bit when I was younger, but haven't swung the willow for a while now.

Used to keep stumps too.

Not so quick between the wickets as I used to be though...

Mister Dee

Wait a minute, I've been on this website for years beggingfor players to play in my cricket team (Boroughmuir CC) & now I've been superceded by someone who has never posted on here before? Where's the justice I ask you?!!

http://www.boroughmuircc.co.uk

For those interested in playing in the right spirit, we were awarded the Division 2 'fair play' award.

Both our teams won their first league games on Saturday, but we are still looking for players who have played a bit.

heartgarfunkel
Did you play in the famous 2 all out game?

Sadly no, I'd been asked to swing my bat elsewhere at that point for not being good enough.:)

I did once get hit for six 6's though. It wasn't my fault, honest;)

For those interested in playing in the right spirit, we were awarded the Division 2 'fair play' award.

Both our teams won their first league games on Saturday, but we are still looking for players who have played a bit.

Fair play? I don't think I've ever seen a ruck in cricket!

Played Cricket for years, captained my club played for the district but the best thing I ever done in a pitch was....

Streaking, on the meadows after a very very heavy session, it got a mention on the East of Scotland site!

I never had a clue who the teams were just decided their game needed spiced up a bit.

Denny Crane
Cricket's for gays:evilno:

Speaks someone who clearly hasn't proven their 'manlieness' in facing an over from Brett Lee and his 100mph bouncers.:rolleyes:

rossi_1983
Wait a minute, I've been on this website for years beggingfor players to play in my cricket team (Boroughmuir CC) & now I've been superceded by someone who has never posted on here before? Where's the justice I ask you?!!

http://www.boroughmuircc.co.uk

I knew someone had been wanting players, but couldn't remember who, so when this advert came up I signed up!

Cameron Toll is a better location for me anyway, but since I have never properly played cricket, it is unlikely that my decision will be any great loss to you!!! :P

Denny Crane

I think he meant in terms of batsmen walking instead of waiting to be given out by the umpire, bowlers not running out the non-striker prior to delivery, not appealing for catches which have not carried, not deliberately bowling short deliveries at tail enders and no sledging.

Walter Payton

I'd be interested as long as I got to field somewhere like the slips where you're not required to do a lot of running after the ball!

Walter Payton
I think he meant in terms of batsmen walking instead of waiting to be given out by the umpire, bowlers not running out the non-striker prior to delivery, not appealing for catches which have not carried, not deliberately bowling short deliveries at tail enders and no sledging.

As a bowler I never saw the problem with that if the batsman was trying to get too much of a head start!;)

Remember playing a lower grade game in Australia though and as somebody who was strictly a lower order batsman, I was actually doing pretty well having got my eye in and making something of a stand with around 20 runs (bit of a record for me). Getting a bit cocky and trying to dictate the tempo myself (the opposition were trying to intimidate us tail end charlies!), for the last over or so I'd started doing some "gardening" just outside my crease in between each ball. Went out again while I thought the ball was being returned to the bowler by the fielders only to realise the Wicketkeeper had "dummied" throwing the ball back round, and had taken the bails off as soon as I left my crease. No class or honour there! :rolleyes:

No sledging??

Sledgless crickets for poofs... FACT.

Sorry Matt but nothing worse than a game with no sledging. Even when batting I'd rather hear jip from the close fielders than not.

Walter Payton
No sledging??

Sorry Matt but nothing worse than a game with no sledging. Even when batting I'd rather hear jip from the close fielders than not.

:)Couldn't believe it when Ricky Ponting was complaining about the Indians' "Racism" in the field. Lucky I found the abuse funny when the opposition teams realised it was a Scot making the calls in the middle or getting ready to bowl...

Anyone know of any clubs west Edinburgh, South Queensferry direction that will take players that haven't played before but are keen too. (And also aren't that fit) ;)

Denny Crane
No sledging??

Go back to my post. I never said I condemned it. I was making a point to a poster as to what constitutes good conduct on a cricket pitch.

Personally, sledgeing is fine if done in the right spirit (Warne v Collingwood, Viv Richards v Greg Thomas, Brandes v McGrath, Botham v Marsh). What I find rather distasteful (real abuse instead of just being a wind-up) is when it really gets personal (McGrath v Tendulkar and Sarwan - that's when it stops being funny).

Mister Dee

You're kidding.

It's becoming more & more regular.

CornhillHearts
Anyone know of any clubs west Edinburgh, South Queensferry direction that will take players that haven't played before but are keen too. (And also aren't that fit) ;)

East League website here http://www.eastleague.org.uk/

Corstorphine is possibly nearest the Ferry for Edinburgh clubs. There are a few just on the other side of the water. One of the best I've played at if your looking for social/location and if you've got transport is a wee place called Broomhall on the banks of the Forth. (they have 2 elevens)

How come you are in W Calder and bypass Fauldhouse & Livingston???

'Mon Fauldhouse

Mister Dee

'Mon Fauldhouse

Loyalty.

Both Faulhouse & Livingston are good sides, but I've played for Burrie for 23 years.

I moved to West Calder 10 years ago, but I decided it would be better to stick with my pals than potentially play against them despite the extra travelling I have to do.

Loyalty.

Both Faulhouse & Livingston are good sides, but I've played for Burrie for 23 years.

I moved to West Calder 10 years ago, but I decided it would be better to stick with my pals than potentially play against them despite the extra travelling I have to do.

Fair Do's Mr D, what's the latest with Boroughmuir and Meggetland?

'Mon Fauldhouse

Fauldhouse.... quality team to play.... play the game the way it wasnt intended. class.

Funny as feck when a certain band goes past and all the players start tapping away... Warm tea's too.... quality.

Fauldhouse.... quality team to play.... play the game the way it wasnt intended. class.

Funny as feck when a certain band goes past and all the players start tapping away... Warm tea's too.... quality.

... we made the Herald last year when one home game fell on the same day as the Gala day ... there was a journalist playing for the Stirling team who wrote his piece about getting held up approaching the cricket club by Fred Flintstone playing the flute

... we made the Herald last year when one home game fell on the same day as the Gala day ... there was a journalist playing for the Stirling team who wrote his piece about getting held up approaching the cricket club by Fred Flintstone playing the flute

Sure its not the only thing Fauldhouse have made the papers for! ;)

I'm ex Leith, had a few good battles with you's fighting it out at the top of the East 2nd div.

That was a good few yrs back now tho.

CornhillHearts
Sure its not the only thing Fauldhouse have made the papers for! ;)

You been reading the Sun again Kenny?

You been reading the Sun again Kenny?

No, a white paper on 'how to break bones'

:P

Mister Dee
Fair Do's Mr D, what's the latest with Boroughmuir and Meggetland?

For those who don't know, the Council in their infinite wisdom gave half of Megggetland to Applecross & Wimpy homes in return to greatly improved facilities -for the rugby Club!

All the other sports, cricket, hockey , football, & athletics have been shafted in terms of space & significance.

We were due to be back at Meggetland this season, but the pitch wasn't in good enough condition to use. Now the developers are washing their hands of the pitch repair & the council refuses to do much to it either. We are making a bit of progress, but it still isn't ready yet.

Hopefully next year!

For what it's worth, Craiglockhart is a magnificent place to play cricket, although it's a bit batsman friendly for my liking! (speaking as a bowler).

Archived