Windows Vista - problems?

Charlie-Brown

Charlie-Brown

What do peole think of microsoft windows vista? for me it's bloody slow

Also today I had hard drive corruption on my 6 week old laptop which necessitated a complete re-install of windows & lost all previous personal data. :(

Guest S.U.S.S.

Never had any probs, get a good startup cleaner, get rid of all the crap that loads at startup.=, that should help speed it up.

I've never had any problems with it.

Mind you, I knew what the potential problems were and turned all the silly stuff off as soon as I installed it.

Therapist

It's fine on mine. You sure you've got enough memory?

davemclaren
Never had any probs, get a good startup cleaner, get rid of all the crap that loads at startup.=, that should help speed it up.

Do you recommend a good startup cleaner? With my kids downloading everything off the web my desktop takes about 2 hours to start up. It's XP and not Vista by the way. ;)

Not a fan, get the updates, that made my machine run slightly quicker and solved the incompatibility probs with ie7.

Miller Jambo 60

VISTA is pants my laptop is a joke.

XP for me.

Guest S.U.S.S.
VISTA is pants my laptop is a joke.

XP for me.

You need to disable what you dont use, once you do Vista wees all over XP.

Guest S.U.S.S.
Do you recommend a good startup cleaner? With my kids downloading everything off the web my desktop takes about 2 hours to start up. It's XP and not Vista by the way. ;)

Spybot, Search and Destroy, does the start up cleaning and a lot more.

I highly recommend it, any probs pm me and ill email you the file, not very big.;)

Also today I had hard drive corruption on my 6 week old laptop which necessitated a complete re-install of windows & lost all previous personal data. :(

Can beat that. Got my new Dell Inspiron 1525 on Friday morning. Switched it on, set my profile and it started downloading windows updates. Restarted it and it was fecked. The Guy from the technical department got it going again only for it to break down again yesterday (bright red screen). Had to flatten it and start all over again. Vista is so slow, it takes over a minute to open a window.

And now I cant watch any video streams as it closes my internet connection when I try.

New laptop looks the biz but Vistas not good.:mad:

frankblack

This is about the third vista thread in the past year.

Basically Vista is a dud operating system that will be replaced by a new version by the end of next year apparently. Microsoft have basically accepted that is the case.

You are better off running Windows XP. I have Vista on my work machine despite my protests, and XP at home. My home PC is from 2003 and outperforms my work PC.

The main problem with Vista is that it is bloated with DRM, has pointless cartoon graphics, and is largely incompatible with software that worked for 2000 and XP.

Using Vista at work actually hinders my productivity because navigation is horrendous, the control panel is a cluttered mess making it hard to find the "Programs and Features" icon (add/remove programs equivalent), and killing processes that acquire a lock on a resource can be horrendous. Not so in XP.

Yeh, Vista ain't that good. Too much of an arse to get things done that are simple in XP. I run XP with virtualisation software so I can switch to Vista if I really need to.

Vista eats memory, far more than XP, so you should have 2GB at a minimum, plus kill Windows Defender, it's a pile of tosh. I'd also shoot Sidebar dead, what's it for anyway? A big fancy clock and images at most. And as said above, kill Aero, puts stress on the machine, especially so if you have crappy integrated graphics.

Charlie-Brown
Can beat that. Got my new Dell Inspiron 1525 on Friday morning. Switched it on, set my profile and it started downloading windows updates. Restarted it and it was fecked. The Guy from the technical department got it going again only for it to break down again yesterday (bright red screen). Had to flatten it and start all over again. Vista is so slow, it takes over a minute to open a window.

And now I cant watch any video streams as it closes my internet connection when I try.

New laptop looks the biz but Vistas not good.:mad:

I've got a brand new (6 weeks old) fujitsu-siemens laptop with ms windows vista pre-installed.......

I've encountered problems of losing my internet connection when trying to connect to watch or listen to Hearts World or BBC Sportsound commentaries....I can however watch youtube & match highlights on bbc football website.......anybody got any ideas how to solve this problem?

I've got a brand new (6 weeks old) fujitsu-siemens laptop with ms windows vista pre-installed.......

I've encountered problems of losing my internet connection when trying to connect to watch or listen to Hearts World or BBC Sportsound commentaries....I can however watch youtube & match highlights on bbc football website.......anybody got any ideas how to solve this problem?

I'm not the best to ask but have you downloaded the latest up dates.... I'm on Fujitsu and it helped my machine.... think there was an update recently.

Sexton Hardcastle

Def put more memory on it. Most machiens will come with basic memory. It is rememded to have about 2 gigs for vista for all the fancy stuff on the desktop. Maybe try turning some of the features you dont use off. They are extending the life of XP i hear so will be staying with this as long ass possible.

Archived