Poseidon

Having done a fair bit of road running and also the occasional hill runs/races, Ive started to do a bit more trail running and i love it. It helps living on the Water of Leith and getting out for a run pretty easily whenever i can be bothered I suppose. I'm heading up North for the Balmoral 15 mile trail race in about 10 days and also entered the Northumberland Coastal run in July. Does anyone have any other recommendations for good trail races that I should look at? Doesn't matter the distance really, although my preferred distance is from 10k up to about 15/16 miles. Or feel free to share stories about races or tips on equipment or anything like that.

torino calcio

I've done the Northumberland coastal run before - it's not really a trail run, it's mostly run on roads. The first mile and a half and the last mile is on the sands, but the rest is on roads so you would be best wearing road running shoes. That aside, it's a great race.

A good race to look out for is the Taprain Law race - it's kind of a hill/trail race - usually held mid May.

There's a cracking book called Scottish Trail Running by Susie Allison - it's got a few good suggestions for routes, if not races. Oh, and enter the Seven Hills race, a fair few roads but good fun!

I've done the Northumberland coastal run before - it's not really a trail run, it's mostly run on roads. The first mile and a half and the last mile is on the sands, but the rest is on roads so you would be best wearing road running shoes. That aside, it's a great race.

A good race to look out for is the Taprain Law race - it's kind of a hill/trail race - usually held mid May.

Ok cheers, just as we'll you said, although I'd have checked it out nearer the time. Funnily enough I've done Traprain in the past and loved it, I'm hoping I can do it again this year

There's a cracking book called Scottish Trail Running by Susie Allison - it's got a few good suggestions for routes, if not races. Oh, and enter the Seven Hills race, a fair few roads but good fun!

might look it up cheers. I've always been tempted but the 7 hills but never entered. Might be tempted to give it a go this year depending on what else I've got on at the time

JamboCampbell

Might aswell take the chance to ask this here as it seems suitable,

Basically im gonna get back into running in the pentlands and various places up north again! Can anyone reccomend a type of trainer/shoe thats more suited to it than a standard running trainer or give advice on where to get fitted/advice on this?

Run and Become on Queensferry St have good advice and fitting service. They've got a big selection of off-road shoes. Inov-8 do good shoes for the hills, but there's plenty of other brands too, Salomon bing one of the other man ones. I'd recommend checking them out

Boaby Ewing

I quite like running on the road as there's a purity to it.

But battering about the hills must be much more fun on a decent mountain bike.

Go on JKB, sell trail running to me.

ArcticJambo

Never bothered with any races but I would simply try to do Munros as fast as I could; as much running as the conditions and my body could take.

A different take on trail running ...While hiking in the Yukon with plastic hiking boots we would run down creeks - boulder hopping I guess you could call it ... very enjoyable although somewhat dangerous. You needed good coordination and critical next boulder planning, and a good pair of gloves, and be prepared to get a few scrapes and bruises but it was probably the most enjoyable 'hiking' experiences I've had.

Unfortunately I had to chuck those boots as they eventually bore holes into my ankles after six days and near ninety miles, of which the last 50 were agony. Make your own fun I guess. Mountain biking looks shite though. :devilish:

A mate did the West Highland Way Race last year, sod that. His time was just under 23 hours.

Not for me, at least not the whole thing. Not until the wife leaves me and takes the kids at least.

I quite like running on the road as there's a purity to it.

But battering about the hills must be much more fun on a decent mountain bike.

Go on JKB, sell trail running to me.

I'm a nature lover too so I love just getting off the busy roads and away somewhere quiet to do a bit of running. I don't listen to music when I run and enjoy listening to all the various sounds of nature as I go. Nothing better than a dirt path alongside a river. Puts me in my happy place haha. Hill running is not the same for me, whilst I do enjoy it it's mostly battering up and down trying not to break my legs so requires a lot more focus.

Never bothered with any races but I would simply try to do Munros as fast as I could; as much running as the conditions and my body could take.

A different take on trail running ...While hiking in the Yukon with plastic hiking boots we would run down creeks - boulder hopping I guess you could call it ... very enjoyable although somewhat dangerous. You needed good coordination and critical next boulder planning, and a good pair of gloves, and be prepared to get a few scrapes and bruises but it was probably the most enjoyable 'hiking' experiences I've had.

Unfortunately I had to chuck those boots as they eventually bore holes into my ankles after six days and near ninety miles, of which the last 50 were agony. Make your own fun I guess. Mountain biking looks shite though. :devilish:

Boulder hopping sounds fun but am unlikely to give that a go any time soon either!

Archived