Cyclists arrogance.. ALWAYS the car drivers fault ?

CJGJ

What do you think ?

Cycling campaigners are calling for a new law in Scotland to make motorists automatically at fault in an accident.

The UK is one of only five European countries that do not currently have the law, known as "strict liability".

Campaigners, including the mother of a 32-year-old Edinburgh man killed in a collision with a lorry in 2011, said the law would help reduce the number of cyclists killed and injured.

But critics said it was unfair, and smacked of the "arrogance" of cyclists

Under a strict liability law, motorists would be held responsible in the civil courts for all accidents involving cyclists - unless they can prove they were not to blame.

Supporters of the Campaign for Strict Liability say it would greatly reduce the time it takes for accident victims to win compensation.

However, opponents of the idea said cyclists and motorists should be equally responsible for road safety.

Alan Douglas, a motoring journalist and member of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, told the BBC: "I think this is an absolutely astonishing suggestion. Everyone using the roads is subject to the same law.

"We all have equal responsibility, and surely the person who should be held responsible for an accident is the person who causes it.

"This assumption that it is always the motorist at fault is absolutely breath-taking. It smacks of the sort of arrogance that we hear from some cyclists."

Chris Benoit

It's a joke, not wanting to get into a driver v cyclist debate but any time I've had any issue with cyclists it's been them at fault. I also have issue with the fact to drive on the road I must have a license, insurance and have taxed my motor but any old ****nugget can get a bike and ride on the road.

I've got to agree with Alan Douglas' quote in the article above.

This is an ambulance chaser's charter being pushed by the media all day today with a one-sided view from grieving families of cyclists. They had two alternatives - make motorists liable for accidents regardless if its their fault or get all the motor vehicles off the road so more cyclists can use them. Cloud cuckoo land fantastic nonsense that has no place in the real world.

If a cyclist causes an accident involving motor vehicles how can it be proved if they flee the scene? They don't carry insurance or registration plates.

If there were no CCTV, how can liability be proved in an accident involving a cyclist if there are no third-party witnesses? Dp we set up a CSI squad for cyclists?

As a cyclist I would like to point out there is a difference between cyclists and people who have a bike. I see people every day on bikes I want to have a go at, and often do when I'm on my bike.

9 times out of 10, its the drivers fault. Pure fact.

Is that before or after the cyclist jumps a red light??

cyclists expect drivers and make allowances. drivers don't expect cyclists. this is a fact.

everyone makes mistakes, but mistakes are made by what we perceive as the unusual. factor in the above and the vast majority of times we see motorists at fault.

Jambos_1874

They don't have lights on their bikes when cycling at night, they don't think red lights apply to them and they cycle side-by-side with other cyclists thus holding up everyone else behind them. Most cyclists are clueless and I would expect that they are directly at fault for a lot of the accidents they're involved in. To automatically assume it's the motorist's fault is absolute nonsense.

Absolute joke, hands cyclists free reign to do as they please. Obviously they aren't going to deliberately get into accidents (oxymoron, I know, you get my point), but they could easily cause damage to a car which they feel has done them wrong and then just blame the driver.

The People's Chimp

No doubt the taxi driver who deliberately knocked me down, then fled the scene, would say it was my fault for being on a bike and having the audacity to hold my position on the road.

15 years as a motorist and never had a problem on the road, get on a bike and the number of crazed fools who seem intent on ignoring/hitting/endangering/abusing cyclists goes through the roof. There is a deep seated psychological issue with many drivers who can't bear to see a cyclist in front of them, even if only at a red light, or going junction to junction to lights. This is a fact. It may or may not relate to small penis syndrome but it is frightening.

They don't have lights on their bikes when cycling at night, they don't think red lights apply to them and they cycle side-by-side with other cyclists thus holding up everyone else behind them. Most cyclists are clueless and I would expect that they are directly at fault for a lot of the accidents they're involved in. To automatically assume it's the motorist's fault is absolute nonsense.

I have lights. Very powerful ones.

I always stop at red lights.

I never go side by side with another bike unless I'm overtaking it.

I'm not clueless and have had a driving licence for almost 30 years.

Don't generalise. Does that mean all van drivers are dangerous drivers like the one who hit my shoulder with his wing mirror on Queen Street recently?

Jambos_1874

I have lights. Very powerful ones.

I always stop at red lights.

I never go side by side with another bike unless I'm overtaking it.

I'm not clueless and have had a driving licence for almost 30 years.

Don't generalise. Does that mean all van drivers are dangerous drivers like the one who hit my shoulder with his wing mirror on Queen Street recently?

I did say "most" cyclists, not all but that's still a bit of a generalisation I guess. I'll bet you've seen plenty of the above behaviour from cyclists though? Regardless, there are plenty of idiots on the road whether it's on two wheels or four (or three in Peckham).

As a cyclist I would like to point out there is a difference between cyclists and people who have a bike. I see people every day on bikes I want to have a go at, and often do when I'm on my bike.

I did say "most" cyclists, not all but that's still a bit of a generalisation I guess. I'll bet you've seen plenty of the above behaviour from cyclists though? Regardless, there are plenty of idiots on the road whether it's on two wheels or four (or three in Peckham).

In bold.

skinnybob72

There are arseholes who drive cars.

There are arseholes who cycle bikes.

Both of these statements are fact. To suggest that one group of arseholes are the cause of all accidents involving cars and bikes is simply not correct.

mulleted_jambo

There are arseholes who drive cars.

There are arseholes who cycle bikes.

Both of these statements are fact. To suggest that one group of arseholes are the cause of all accidents involving cars and bikes is simply not correct.

Absolutely correct.

Lots of cyclists break the rules as do lots of people who drive cars. I find it funny when people say all cyclists go through red lights and none of them have lights/reflective clothes. Most of them follow the rules but obviously people will notice the ones that don't. Lots of drivers drive like idiots too.

Also you don't have to pay road tax for certain low emission cars so you will never have to for bikes.

Having said that to say it is the drivers fault every time is totally ridiculous.

Tommy Wiseau

If cyclists and motorists don't look out for each other, someone will get hurt. That someone will, almost always, be the cyclist.

Some of the cycling I see driving is horrific and a danger to themselves - as a driver, it's a worry because I wouldn't be able to live with myself if something happened on the road, so I take extra care around them and give them extra room, just in case they are a zoomer. That said, **** being a cyclist on our roads with some of the treatment you see other drivers giving them. Practically running them off the road to get a wee bit ahead in the traffic ffs.

How many cyclists kill someone when they are in an accident or stuff up?

Cyclists can feck me off when they jump lights or don't signal etc but in the grand scheme of things they will always come worse off in any accident involving a motor vehicle.

Motorists should give more consideration to cyclists. As a previous poster stated there are idiot drivers and idiot cyclists but there are infinitely more cars on the road than bikes therefore there is without doubt more idiot drivers than cyclists.

I am neither a cyclist or a driver and I have had far more issues with cyclists.

I have see many jump between road and pavement, sometimes charging down the pavement. They cycle through red lights, even when there are pedestrians crossing and cycle the wrong way up one way streets.

There has been a few times I have almost been hit by one, and if I have said anything, I have received a mouthful of abuse.

Can I add, I know a driver who did have a accident involving the cyclist. She was breathalysed. The cyclist was not. Surely they both should have been. I know it is standard practice for road accidents, but just the car user?

Both were fortunately fine, but the cyclists lights were apparently not sufficient and there was a lack of viable clothing worn by him. Not sure myself it there is a legal limit or not. My friend also said he did not signal when he was turning, which contributed to the accident.

Even if statistically more drivers are at fault (I don't know if they are or not), this is utterly ridiculous.

It totally goes against common sense.

The same rule would also put Cyclists immediately at fault if they were to hit a pedestrian... nuts

I've never had a problem with cyclists when driving, as others have said I assume that they are going to be a complete tool before I even get close to them so give them miles of room just incase.

I have encountered issues with cyclists as a pedestrian though, on more than a few occasions some utter clown has almost crashed into me as a result of them hopping onto the pavement at speed in order to avoid stopping at red lights.

But I have to be fair and say I have encountered more shite drivers than I have shite cyclists. I reckon some people get their licenses by sending away the tokens from a cornflake box along with a cheque.

The same rule would also put Cyclists immediately at fault if they were to hit a pedestrian... nuts

Does this make any drivers feel better about the proposed law?

Can I just add that the fake cyclists annoy me more than anything else! :angry:

There is a guy who gets on my train in the morning at Rutherglen with his bike and all his gear and then gets off again at Argyle Street, it's 2 feckin stops FFS!!!!!!

What is the point in that??

Can't say I have ever come close to knocking someone off their bike, but I have seen a fair number of cyclists and drivers a like do some pretty wreckless stuff around one and other on the roads.

The Great Khali

I'm a bit sensitive to this topic (won't go into details) but I shall give my view on it.

As Tazio said, there is a difference between cyclists and folk wanting to get fit so deciding to get on their bike and go to work.

9 out of 10 cyclists (I appreciate you'll get the odd radge) won't jump lights, will always signal and follow most things correctly and accidents I've heard of or seen have always been the drivers fault. Again, I appreciate that it won't always be the drivers fault, you can and do get radges on a bike, which is why I don't think that rule would be completely fair.

I used to be a frequent cyclist, even winning medals for road races, when I was younger until an incident, which has made it difficult for me to get back on the bike. I occasionally go up some country roads and stuff, because I do miss it but I do find it tough to go on the main roads.

Radio Ga Ga

Why do cyclists insist in cycling on the main road when there is a cycle path running parallel with the road ? As an example, the A8 from Newbridge to Gogar has a perfectly good cycle path, however, the number of Raspers who still pedal along the dual carriageway is astonishing.

The Great Khali

Why do cyclists insist in cycling on the main road when there is a cycle path running parallel with the road ? As an example, the A8 from Newbridge to Gogar has a perfectly good cycle path, however, the number of Raspers who still pedal along the dual carriageway is astonishing.

Because it is their right.

The Mighty Thor

There's a simple answer. Make all cyclists take a test, just like car drivers and motorcyclists do. Make cyclists register, license and MOT their bikes, just like other road users. Make cyclists have insurance just like other road users. In short if cyclists want to use the roads they should do so on the same basis as all other road users, with the road traffic act giving provision to prosecute those that don't.

Maroon Sailor

Pet hate with cyclists are the ones that have earphones in - totally oblivious to other road users and pedestrians for that matter

Seems to me that both sides are chock full of arseholes.

Pedestrians are the lowest form of scum.

Pet hate with cyclists are the ones that have earphones in - totally oblivious to other road users and pedestrians for that matter

As both a cyclist and a driver, I agree 100% with this :thumbsup:

I find it quite frightning the amount of cyclists who don't wear a helmet!

I travel through Edinburgh every day for work and just can't understand this. I don't understand why you wouldn't give yourself that protection. They always fall into the 'people who have a bike' category.

Dr. Bapswent

I predict this thread will be full of hugely ill informed car drivers who haven't been on a bike in traffic in years.

However there is no way a law should make an accident always the drivers fault.

Even if they are to blame for being ignorant most of the time.

I predict this thread will be full of hugely ill informed car drivers who haven't been on a bike in traffic in years.

However there is no way a law should make an accident always the drivers fault.

Even if they are to blame for being ignorant most of the time.

tbf,the law doesn't make them automaticaly lose any case they are involved in. it does put the onus on them to prove their innocence. I don't think tthat's a perfect system, but alot of people seem to be presenting this as "motorists will be instantly found guilty irregardless" - and thats certainly not the case.

Dr. Bapswent

tbf,the law doesn't make them automaticaly lose any case they are involved in. it does put the onus on them to prove their innocence. I don't think tthat's a perfect system, but alot of people seem to be presenting this as "motorists will be instantly found guilty irregardless" - and thats certainly not the case.

Well in that case it might be a sensible approach.

But i expect the concept will be vociferously fought by all road drivers who believe then road is the sole domain of cars. Purely on the basis that (even though its maybe just a sensible approach to working out each case) its wording suggests they are at fault.

What do cyclists think of horse riders on public highways? I treat them much the same....sneak up behind and hit the horn.

Well in that case it might be a sensible approach.

Certainly that's what i picked up when i read it, i may be wrong. It's just incendiary to only take a comment from a motoring journalist though. All in the name of 'balance' i guess.

Boaby Ewing

I am neither a cyclist or a driver and I have had far more issues with cyclists.

I have see many jump between road and pavement, sometimes charging down the pavement. They cycle through red lights, even when there are pedestrians crossing and cycle the wrong way up one way streets.

There has been a few times I have almost been hit by one, and if I have said anything, I have received a mouthful of abuse.

:pleasing:

I find it quite frightning the amount of cyclists who don't wear a helmet!

I travel through Edinburgh every day for work and just can't understand this. I don't understand why you wouldn't give yourself that protection.

Probably because it's their prerogative and wont harm anyone but themselves.

What's more worrying is number of cyclists who refuse to wear high viz gear thereby making them hard to spot, and someone else's problem !

Wearing high viz should be compulsory on bikes in this country.

I say that as a cyclist.

Probably because it's their prerogative and wont harm anyone but themselves.

What's more worrying is number of cyclists who refuse to wear high viz gear thereby making them hard to spot, and someone else's problem !

Wearing high viz should be compulsory on bikes in this country.

I say that as a cyclist.

yes at night, dawn or dusk but in the day in neon lycra? no thanks!

Archived