pc help

dode41

On monday morning had power cut in my street,power was restored some 14 hours lately and i found my pc wouldnt power up,so on tuesday with help from pleasant lady from Dell we got pc working again we achieved this by disconnecting dvd/cd driver,hard drive both my memory sticks and graphics card and then reconnecting them bit by bit,but since then pc has twice failed to power up and i have had to go through procedure already mentioned,do i need to replace something that has been damaged as a result of power being restored? cheers in advanced

Mark_Mywords

When the power came back on there must have obviously been a surge (spike), which has probably fried one of your components. It could be any one of your hardware components that are damaged.

When your system does not boot, does it beep at all?

You are going the right way about it by removing them all, then replacing them one by one. This usually pinpoints the problem, unless the problem is intermittent.

Once you do find the culprit, please buy surge protection.

Mark.

When the power came back on there must have obviously been a surge (spike), which has probably fried one of your components. It could be any one of your hardware components that are damaged.

When your system does not boot, does it beep at all?

You are going the right way about it by removing them all, then replacing them one by one. This usually pinpoints the problem, unless the problem is intermittent.

Once you do find the culprit, please buy surge protection.

Mark.

It wont wont even power up,instead of getting green light i am gettin an orange flashing light at front of tower,also i have surge protection its as if pc is switched off for a period of time it doesnt power up.

Mark_Mywords
It wont wont even power up,instead of getting green light i am gettin an orange flashing light at front of tower,also i have surge protection its as if pc is switched off for a period of time it doesnt power up.

IMO, it's either your motherboard or PSU that's more likely suspect. There may be a capacitor that has almost blown(swollen up). This would explain your PC not powering up if it's been off for a while.

Insist that they repair the PC for you if it's still under warranty. If it's not under warranty, I would take it to somebody that can do a diagnosis for you (shop/friend).

IMO, it's either your motherboard or PSU that's more likely suspect. There may be a capacitor that has almost blown(swollen up). This would explain your PC not powering up if it's been off for a while.

Insist that they repair the PC for you if it's still under warranty. If it's not under warranty, I would take it to somebody that can do a diagnosis for you (shop/friend).

pc no longer underwarranty,but if repair is expensive i have cover under home insurance,cheers for your help

Mike Hunt

Sounds to me like your power supply is goosed and you need a new PSU.

Can you borrow someone's PSU and try it on your pc ?

If its the problem Silicon do a 450w PSU for ?14

PSU SILICON

Archived