Charity Challenge Match 18th May - Forth 'Help a Child Appeal'

Jack Alexander

Jack Alexander

I've been asked to post an official announcement regarding the forthcoming challenge match at Tynecastle in support of the Forth One 'Help a Child Appeal'.

The opposing sides are the Foot Ball Club of Edinburgh (the world's first football club) and a team representing McCrae's Battalion. The McCrae's lads (managed by John Robertson) will be wearing a special (and quite stunning) jersey, commissioned for the game and currently being manufactured to the highest possible standard. It's the colours of the undefeated battalion team and they haven't been seen since 1917.

I'm also producing a special commemorative programme for the event. It will cost a donation of ?5.00 to the 'Help a Child Appeal' and will get you entry into the ground on the day. For those of you who can't afford a fiver, we'll have a bucket available beside the turnstile.

So ... Tynecastle Park, Sunday 18 May. Kick-off 2.00 pm.

The old stand is being opened for the day and the Directors' Suite and the Executive Suite are being made available for players, sponsors and guests. Refreshments will be on sale at one of the kiosks in the ground.

This is a unique occasion - in aid of a charity that does great work for disadvantaged kids across the Lothians and Fife. It's exactly the kind of thing that the lads who served in McCrae's would want us to be doing in their memory. Anyone who wants to come along and join us will be welcome.

Advertisers or potential sponsors who would like to take out a little space in the programme are also welcome to contact me - although that'll need to be before Saturday 10 May. It'll cost you no more than a donation to the cause.

upthehill

Undefeated? You never told me that before you signed me up!!! I've been called a poor mans Callum Elliot! good work getting Robbo, and organising the rest of it aswell.

Jack Alexander
Undefeated? You never told me that before you signed me up!!! I've been called a poor mans Callum Elliot! good work getting Robbo, and organising the rest of it aswell.

No pressure, Iain. I believe next season is going to be Calum's breakthrough year, so there's hope for you yet.

As Jack has posted, this unique fixture takes place on Sunday 18 May at Tynecastle, with proceeds going to the Forth One 'Help a Child Appeal'.

Forth One: The Foot Ball Club of Edinburgh v. The McCrae's Battalion Trust

Please come along on the day and contribute to a very worthwhile cause for children across Edinburgh, the Lothians and Fife.

Jack also mentioned that the McCrae's team on the day will be wearing specially commissioned jerseys, in the colours of the undefeated Battalion team. These colours have not been seen on the field of play for 91 years.

JKB and the McCrae's Battalion Trust have had a discussion, and we're looking at making a very limited number of McCrae's team jerseys available to people who are willing to contribute that bit more to the 'Help a Child Appeal'.

In addition to the jerseys to be worn by the squad on the day, there are 10 more available. If there's enough interest, JKB and the Trust can make these available as part of a "premium sponsorship package".

This would cover entry to the game, and a copy of the special commemorative programme being produced for the event. It would also cover half-time snacks in the Directors' Suite, and entry after the game to the Executive Suite to mingle with the players and coaches from both teams (including John Robertson) as well as other personalities and dignitaries. And the package would also include one of the 10 available McCrae's Battalion jerseys. Last but by mo means least the money you would spend would be for the benefit of the Help A Child Appeal.

Bear in mind that the guys who have signed up to play for the team have committed more than ?40 each, and will also be raising sponsorship funds as well. If you are interested in contributing a bit more to the Help A Child Appeal by availing of the package described above, please drop me a line by PM.

All th every best with this, we will try our best to come along, as should everyone.

Good Luck

Anyone else planning on going - or will I be there myself?:wacko:

I'll be there, injured, keeping Robbo company on the bench until my last minute cameo! Hope it's big enough for both of us!

bigsuperslim1874

Im gonna be playing for the Foot Ball Club of Edinburgh on Sunday and it is gonna be a cracking day of football and fundraising. Plus you can be sure that there will be 22 guys out on the pitch running themselves ragged and how many times have we seen that at tynie this season? :sad:

Everyone who can should come along and be a part of history - it is only a matter of time before FIFA recognise this club and city as the birthplace of Football. Here is a link for all the info :-

http://www.footballclubofedinburgh.co.uk/

WeeToonJambo

Definitely traveling through for this one. I hope the weather is as good in Edinburgh as it is here in Glasgow. That should help boost the crowd.

Going to the game as its a nice day and a chance to tell my boys about the McCrae's guys.

As Big Super Slim says, we'll probably see more effort than some of our players have shown this season too.

going to be playing for the Mcrae's Battalion

I am so excited

Lovely day for a game of football as well

going to be playing for the Mcrae's Battalion

I am so excited

Lovely day for a game of football as well

Just been speaking to Jack Alexander, and it's all systems go for today.

So if you have a bit of time to spare, get yourself down to Tynecastle and cheer on the two teams who are putting in the effort.

Enjoy the day.

Hearts Heritage

I'll be there with the trusty LH camera so You'll see some photos later.

Come along a lovely sunny Sunday just like 10 years ago.

scott herbertson
I'll be there with the trusty LH camera so You'll see some photos later.

Come along a lovely sunny Sunday just like 10 years ago.

Davy

The older but fitter member of the Herbertson brothers iterrible trio is playing so some photos will be good

davemclaren
3-2 to the McCraes battalion trust good day out. well done to all involved

When I saw the teams line up I thought the FCofE would win hands down given the 'stature' of the opposition. :cool_shades:

Fair play to the Trust however for really getting into it once going a goal behind. Not the worst match I've seen at Tynie this season. ;)

th_Pict0290.jpgI think the rolling subs used by the battalion team was probably the telling factor but nevertheless well done to all

When I saw the teams line up I thought the FCofE would win hands down given the 'stature' of the opposition. :cool_shades:

Fair play to the Trust however for really getting into it once going a goal behind. Not the worst match I've seen at Tynie this season. ;)

Dave could not agree more

They looked the better team first ten mins.

We got to grip with them, the best team won in the end.

th_Pict0290.jpgI think the rolling subs used by the battalion team was probably the telling factor but nevertheless well done to all

have you got anymore photo's ?

yes

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_014jpg.jpg

good stuff many thanks

Keep them coming

I am behind the boy with the suit

Next to the ginger haired boy, chesney as robbo was calling him.

Think the LB for FCOE (my uncle) was the oldest player on the pitch, sixty next month but managed to play for the first 45 mins:)

scott herbertson
Think the LB for FCOE (my uncle) was the oldest player on the pitch, sixty next month but managed to play for the first 45 mins:)

You must mean eddie fenwick I guess (on the left)

How long did my brother (Keith - fourth from the right at the back) last for - he's getting on a bit himself?

;)

How long did my brother (Keith - fourth from the right at the back) last for - he's getting on a bit himself?

;)

Keith went off after about 1/2 hour then cam back on for the last half hour, left him at Eddies about an hour ago, he is feeling a wee bit sore;)

I played in the game today, Keith done well, played right back for most of the game, he was on and off like all the trust team were today.

wasn't the loneliest man there today;)

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_015.jpg

;)

aye Davy mentioned how old Keith was Scott. He was , as mentioned earlier ,there with his professionals camera so there will soon be hundreds on the LH site

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_017.jpg

Another Kickbacker looking to the right to see if Annabel has got anything for him his left was crocked he told me:dribble::dribble:

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_018.jpg

Seeing there was proper video evidence for th GFA in case of foul play

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_013.jpg

Never give your wife the camera to take some photos at a football match.

No point posting the others up as all they are all 22 dots in the horizon.(mind you a couple of the dots were quite a bit bigger than the other dots).

Nice to see and hear the security were acting like it was an old firm match.

Apart from that a nice wee day and thanks again to Jack Alexander, the organisers and Robbo.

103_1456.jpg

[/img]103_1457.jpg

103_1459.jpg[/img]

103_1471.jpg[/img]

103_1475.jpg[/img]

103_1466.jpg[/img]

;)

Dad did pretty well (for a 54 year old...). He's announced his retirement from playing at Tynecastle now after being unbeaten in two matches.

aye Davy mentioned how old Keith was Scott. He was , as mentioned earlier ,there with his professionals camera so there will soon be hundreds on the LH site

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_017.jpg

great photo Brownkg

makes it look like I knew what I was doing :)

sorry I didnt get a chance to speak

defo time to retire on a high

thanks to Jack for organising, Robbo for his time, and kickbackers and friends for the ?200 sponsorship raised:thumbs_up:

Another Kickbacker looking to the right to see if Annabel has got anything for him his left was crocked he told me:dribble::dribble:

Mccraes3vFCe2_18052008_pict_018.jpg

Swine! But not a bad photo...

A big thank you to all, who played in yesterdays game hopefully there will be a lot of cash raised for a very worthwhile charity. WELL DONE EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU.:thumb:

sandylejambo

i was at the game and the players did really well the crowd could have been bigger but i'm sure the orginisers made a few quid for the kids,,,, and i got one of the mcrea's shirts,, ye-ha

i was at the game and the players did really well the crowd could have been bigger but i'm sure the orginisers made a few quid for the kids,,,, and i got one of the mcrea's shirts,, ye-ha

they did come in XXL ;)

bigsuperslim1874

Just thought I would echo the sentiments of what has already been said. It was a cracking day for a game of footy and an decent standard of football as well. The rolling subs were the major factor IMHO in deciding the game - i was absolutely cream crackered and I play regular Sunday football! Disappointed to lose but in the grand scheme of things, one of the reasons we were playing was to remember those all those years ago who lost a lot more.

Oh and I got my photo taken with Robbo so that make me a happy laddie. :)

Guest S.U.S.S.

Got one as well, got robbo to sign it.

Was a nice day and good match, all involved should be proud.

SNAP, they look the biz & it`s just right for being framed. Although I have to agree with you on the attendance, especially as the weather was very good and maybe could have drawn a bigger crowd than what was there.

What do you guys, reckon the attendance was ?

I played in the game,never really had time to think about it.

What do you guys, reckon the attendance was ?

I played in the game,never really had time to think about it.

The Herald said just over 500 which is not bad?

The Herald said just over 500 which is not bad?

Hmmm, good, that's more than one of the SPL games from this season.:)

Anybody have a link to the herald article.

Also who was the guy taking the photo's.

He had a CIS Cup jacket on ?

Archived