We're all West Ham supporters now

angeleyes

West Ham have paid only ?15M to be tenants of the Olympic Stadium and ?2M pa for the 99 year lease. How amazing for them. the govt ie taxpayers will have to stump up another ?25M to have it converted for football.

Great deal for West Ham, but as a hearts supporter, and a taxpayer, I'm a little bit upset http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21897902

Upset?

WE won't have to keep paying for it if you vote yes 18/9/14 :jj:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This will be part of the Olympic legacy, no?

And I don't regret investing in that highlight of my life and celebration of Britain one bit. :jj:

heartsfc_fan

Upton Park is a cracking stadium. Not sure why they feel the need to move?

Too small for their needs I guess

And I don't regret investing in that highlight of my life and celebration of Britain one bit. :jj:

Highlight of your life?

For real?

Highlight of your life?

For real?

I regularly watch Jessica Ennis crying during the national anthem and end up in tears. :jj:

Alwaysinourshadows

They'll never fill it, west ham supporters aren't happy about moving to the Olympic stadium either

They'll never fill it, west ham supporters aren't happy about moving to the Olympic stadium either

Maybe. Depending on how they price it I could see them selling out.

Maybe. Depending on how they price it I could see them selling out.

They can't even sell out their 35,000 stadium.

It is a joke what has happened to Leyton Orient in all of this.

Alwaysinourshadows

Why did leyton orient want the stadium? They probably get about 6k tops at a home game

Upset?

WE won't have to keep paying for it if you vote yes 18/9/14 :jj:

that's guaranteed for sure :cheesy:

Why did leyton orient want the stadium? They probably get about 6k tops at a home game

They are located about 500 yards away from it or something and believe if the prices are extremely cheap for West Ham's games, they'll lose business, meaning they are messed.

They are located about 500 yards away from it or something and believe if the prices are extremely cheap for West Ham's games, they'll lose business, meaning they are messed.

Groundshare would surely work then. If LO own their ground they could sell it anaw.

Alwaysinourshadows

So they think LO own fans will go and watch west ham instead if it's cheap?

Eh? You're missing the point here.

What the 'O' are saying is if a massive club move nearer to them, it obviously affects their potential support. Simples!

kevinmackenzie14

for some reason i have a hatred towards west ham.. now that they have been approved for this i feel even stronger hate for them. i think that the leyton orient chairman is right about west ham moving so close and offering cheap/free seats every week will hit them hard. if a groundshare was approved it would of been for good for both.

So they think LO own fans will go and watch west ham instead if it's cheap?

They are a relatively small community club who are about to have a Premiership club invade their territory.

It would be like Chelsea building a ground at Fountainbridge or something and selling tickets cheap. No brainer for punters.

They are a relatively small community club who are about to have a Premiership club invade their territory.

It would be like Chelsea building a ground at Fountainbridge or something and selling tickets cheap. No brainer for punters.

Exactly.

Tiberius Stinkfinger

Good move for the Hammers, things move on in the EPL and staying at Upton Park is obviously not an option for the future.

Hearn is doing what he does best and getting himself splattered all over the press, won't help his cause though.

Its called progress.

I'm pretty sure there is a FA rule about clubs moving within a certain distance of another, and this breaks this. Feel sorry for the leyton orient. I sat next to a man and his son at Tynecastle once, who were in Edinburgh on holiday. Leyton Orient supporters. they were v nice and giving themselves the treat of watching a 'really good' team instead of their own! I gave the boy one of my wee badges

MacDonald Jardine

Are West Ham and Orient not already effectively in the same terrritory?

Having watched West Ham the night before we played at Spurs it is a shame. Upton Park reminded me more than a bit of Tynecastle and I liked the west Ham fans who seemed to be there because they had to be not like some of the more fashionable clubs.

Cappuccino Kid

Government bailed out out the Scum in Newcastle for years since Northern Rock went tits up.

Franklin Delano Bluth

80000 seater? Not a chance West 'Am are selling that out.

Sergio Garcia

I regularly watch Jessica Ennis crying during the national anthem and end up in tears. :jj:

I am also often reaching for the tissues watching Jessica Ennis

West Ham have paid only ?15M to be tenants of the Olympic Stadium and ?2M pa for the 99 year lease. How amazing for them. the govt ie taxpayers will have to stump up another ?25M to have it converted for football.

Great deal for West Ham, but as a hearts supporter, and a taxpayer, I'm a little bit upset http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21897902

It's described as a $429 million stadium. It was built primarily for the Olympics.

It makes sense for someone to use it now the olympics are over. West Ham have committed to paying almost half of the $429 million over the course of their tenancy.

Hopefully leyton orient don't suffer, and I'm not convinced they will in any material form.

If Chelsea did build a stadium in Fountainbridge, and hand out free tickets, I personally wouldn't attend their games at the expense of going to Hearts games.

80000 seater? Not a chance West 'Am are selling that out.

Indeed. Especially since it will have about 25% seats less than that.

Franklin Delano Bluth

Indeed. Especially since it will have about 25% seats less than that.

Even still at 60k. Needs a lot of work done in the next couple of years.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

King Of The Cat Cafe

Even still at 60k. Needs a lot of work done in the next couple of years.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Karren Brady, the West Ham vice-chairman, has written to me to say that it will have a capacity of at least 54,000 seats, making WHU one of the top five attended clubs in the Premier League.

It will be UEFA category 4, the highest and the move includes 'opening doors to new revenue streams. Such opportunities would enable further investment in the team and improved training facilities so we can achieve our footballing ambitions.' All from start of 2016/17.

So : I'm forever blowing bubbles, pretty bubbles in the air...

It will be a sad day when West Ham leave Upton Park. It's a great stadium, not unlike Tynecastle for atmosphere. Fans very close to the pitch and able to intimidate the opposition. Midweek night, under lights again like Tynecastle are very special. But I understand the decision. A bigger stadium, much better transport links, should be more affordable tickets for punters and,IMO a successful West Ham team could sell out a 54k seater.They're taking the Bobby Moore statue, renaming the stands in his and Sir Trev's names. Just hope we don't have the biggest stadium in the Championship.

I also understand Orient having an issue with it but dunno about groundsharing, It would be like us playing Cowdenbeath as Murrayfield. No atmosphere.

Nookie Bear

?2m a year does not sound much right now but, if the tv bubble bursts or West Ham and their crowds go on an unfortunate (!) decline then it may become a problem.

Rudolf's Mate

?2m a year does not sound much right now but, if the tv bubble bursts or West Ham and their crowds go on an unfortunate (!) decline then it may become a problem.

While I agree with your comments, I think this is a huge win for WH.

A lot of lower league fans have a liking to premier league teams. They drop the prices for the Olympic stadium and you'll find other fans attending games when their team is playing away.

Although there is a major hatred down here between Southampton & Portsmouth. I knew several fans who had season tickets to both despite mainly being Portsmouth fans.

Bottom line is they price it right and they will increase their crowds.

Nookie Bear

While I agree with your comments, I think this is a huge win for WH.

A lot of lower league fans have a liking to premier league teams. They drop the prices for the Olympic stadium and you'll find other fans attending games when their team is playing away.

Although there is a major hatred down here between Southampton & Portsmouth. I knew several fans who had season tickets to both despite mainly being Portsmouth fans.

Bottom line is they price it right and they will increase their crowds.

Not disagreeing but it is a 99-year agreement and it is impossible to judge how much of a problem that ?2m will be to WH in 10 or 20 years time.

I don;t think it will be a problem but it might be.

Rudolf's Mate

Not disagreeing but it is a 99-year agreement and it is impossible to judge how much of a problem that ?2m will be to WH in 10 or 20 years time.

Totally, its a gamble however they'd need to be incompetent to mess it up!

Despite the economic downturn, sky and the EPL have gone from strength to strength. I don't see that changing.

Totally, its a gamble however they'd need to be incompetent to mess it up!

Despite the economic downturn, sky and the EPL have gone from strength to strength. I don't see that changing.

It is West Ham remember. Hopefully all will be groovy but I don't really see an alternative to what is happening. Again like what is going on with Hearts at the moment. Just have to live in hope.

Nookie Bear

It will be a sad day when West Ham leave Upton Park. It's a great stadium, not unlike Tynecastle for atmosphere. Fans very close to the pitch and able to intimidate the opposition. Midweek night, under lights again like Tynecastle are very special. But I understand the decision. A bigger stadium, much better transport links, should be more affordable tickets for punters and,IMO a successful West Ham team could sell out a 54k seater.They're taking the Bobby Moore statue, renaming the stands in his and Sir Trev's names. Just hope we don't have the biggest stadium in the Championship.

I also understand Orient having an issue with it but dunno about groundsharing, It would be like us playing Cowdenbeath as Murrayfield. No atmosphere.

What are the fans saying about all this? It seems awfully similar to us moving to Murrayfield but I am not getting the impression the fans are going mad about it (?)

Indeed. West Ham have just made a ?213m commitment. That sum is around half of the cost of the "?429m venue". The venue has already served the purpose for which it was built.

I don't really get the seethe...

What are the fans saying about all this? It seems awfully similar to us moving to Murrayfield but I am not getting the impression the fans are going mad about it (?)

I think the majority have got used to the idea now. Initially there was resistance but they seem to have accepted it's a way forward.

They've had fair amount of sell outs this season

Eh? You're missing the point here.

What the 'O' are saying is if a massive club move nearer to them, it obviously affects their potential support. Simples!

It's a BS argument really. The Boleyn ground isn't really that much further from the orient than the OS. Its only bringing them marginally closer.

If Orient fans wanted to watch West Ham, they already would be

Edit: a correction to my previous post. They've had 13 sell outs in a row, which I think equates to more than a fair amount.

Rudolf's Mate

It is West Ham remember. Hopefully all will be groovy but I don't really see an alternative to what is happening. Again like what is going on with Hearts at the moment. Just have to live in hope.

Yes, I did actually think that when posting the original message. Nothing would surprise me tbh.

Seymour M Hersh

Great deal for West Ham, but as a hearts supporter, and a taxpayer, I'm a little bit upset http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/21897902

No we're not all supporters. We may all have paid a miniscule amount of money toward them getting the OS but then surely something similar happened with Man City.

Diadora Van Basten

If your upset by that then I won't tell you about the deal that rangers got at the expense of the taxpayer

That's a lot of rent if West Ham were to get stuck in the Championship. Less rent than that has crippled Coventry.

Independence

I can only assume that you are talking in jest. Even the most hardened Unionist will not agree that the Olympics created any 'legacy' for Scotland!

A celebration of Britain? Yes, if you believe the English controlled media who talked up the Olympics to make money. Personally, I didn't see any celebration of Britishness in Scotland. I didn't see any Union Jacks being displayed from buildings out of cars etc etc. Perhaps in areas such as Larkhall there were some but that has nothing to do with Britishness and everything to do with sectarianism.

Olympics = media and Westminster propaganda!

Of course this is just an opinion.

Archived