More Apple problems - Anyone Help?

Magic Numbers

Magic Numbers

Bought 2 iPod Touch's at Christmas for my 2 sons. Both worked fine until 1 of them stopped charging.

Had a look at the underside, and on the faulty one, it looks as if the pins are totally exposed, whereas on the one that works,

there is some sort of housing or board that they are a part of.

This, of course means that every time you try & charge the duff one, the pins are getting bent.

Now, given that it is only 3 & a half months old I took it into Currys, where we bought them,

they agreed it was a warranty defect but informed me they couldn't help, and I had to contact Apple myself. So I did.

A friendly American lady took all of the details & sent out some packaging to me to send the unit back for examination.

Two-three days passed & the iPod arrives home, with a standard letter that says that they have examined the iPod,

and have "determined that your iPod requires service because of an external cause such as accidental damage."

So I am straight on the phone to them tonight, the chap I spoke to was very apologetic but he couldn't tell me anything

regarding the fault, as the technician had only noted "accidental damage" on the case file. I spent ages on the phone with

this chap & got nowhere. I wanted him to tell me what I had done that was accidental as I didn't want to do it again, but he

couldn't offer any information at all, and simply kept offering to have it repaired for almost ?90 - Not on, I'll put some

money to the repair cost & buy a new Nexus or similar.

Ultimately I may try an Apple Store, but it's not exactly convenient given my working hours & location of the Scottish

stores (Glasgow & Aberdeen). Anyone any advice for me? Does it sound like I have a case for having a warranty repair?

I don't want to take a day off to try & sort this out if it is a waste of time, I would lose more than the ?90 by taking the

time off & the travel costs etc.

Mega peed off at this, my son is gutted that his favourite gadget no longer works & Apple just seem incompetent &

shoddy, despite their company image etc.

Help!

Apple Store all the way.

Flatmate took her broken iphone in last weekend (11 months old) and they replaced it free of charge.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Keep at them on the phone

I had this with a second gen 40Gb ipod that had a damaged screen (which I had done) but the problem was the battery. Took quite a few phone calls and it went back twice and I got the same note as you both times saying it was accidentally damaged etc etc.

I think tbh they get that many a day to do they probably dont even look at any case notes if they even get them and just churn thru them.

Eventually I got an 80Gb one from them by way of apology (they sent me a 20Gb one first time but i wanted the bigger one for work as i used it as a covert HDD at the time to save work for my portfolio as a freelance designer )

Your contract is with Currys, you bought it from them. Demand they repair or replace it as its faulty / not fit for purpose, it's then up to them to take it up with who they bought it from (Apple in this case) that's not your fight.

Last resort, does your house insurance cover accidental damage? So long as it doesn't cost you a no-claims bonus, that may be an option.

Apple Store all the way.

Flatmate took her broken iphone in last weekend (11 months old) and they replaced it free of charge.

Do this. Take it to the Apple store. Take your son and tell him to put on the sad puppy eyes.

Magic Numbers

Thanks guys, will have some more words with the retailer 1st, might try & find a store supervisor or manager to help, as so far the guy I dealt with last time around was like one half of the Chewing the Fat electrics store workers, lol. If that doesn't work, I will probably head for the Weege over the next few weeks, have actually been hearing quite good things about their Glasgow store as far as helpfulness goes!

Archived