• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Morgan

• Auldbenches

• Hearts Heritage

• davemclaren

Had we not played East Fife that day ? I had only been going about a year full time then..,

Had we not played East Fife that day ? I had only been going about a year full time then..,

We played East Fife the following day in a quarter final

I remember being told he had died while I was on dinner break at Tynie School, a JFK moment.

We would go into his newsagents almost every day on my way to school, never saw him play but you were always in awe of him, here was a guy who had his shop on Gorgie Road but wouldn't

go anywhere near Tynecastle for 12 years.

A tragic loss at a young age,only 49, he died 6 months after Willie Hamiltons death he was only 37 and then Jimmy Wardhaugh died in January 1978 aged only 49.

So Sad

Edited by jbee647

The King. Hearts record competitive goalscorer. Part of the Terrible Trio.

Did not attend Tynecastyle for 13 years after being charged for match ball used in his testimonial. Died at early age in 1977. Fans remember him with annual dinner.

:vrface: that's ridiculous.

Hearts Heritage

He came back in 1975 for the cup game vs Kilmarnock . Drew Busby scored a goal reminiscent of The King himself , a wonderful flying header from a Roy Kay cross.

Hearts Heritage
Surprised the Hibs fans didn't sing about it yesterday. Filth.

Dreadful post. There are always a good turnout of ex Hibs players at the Dinner paying respect to the King.

I remember walking home from primary school across Harrison Park when the lollipop man told me as he knew me and my brother were big Jambos. I nodded but was not sure who Willie Bauld was in reality but I do remember the lollipop man having a tear in his eye.

Guest Dipped Flake

Still remember the game after he died with all these men in tears all around me - a bit like me the game after Jim Cruickshank died

Remenber being told, shattered. I used to go with my pals into his shop before the game, and when he spoke to us, we were dumbstruck ! In awe of the great man.

Was priveleged to see him play, albeit in the latter stages of his career. But you could see he was a 'class act.'

'The King,' said it on here before, and i'll say it again, we'll never see his likes again.

rudeskaboyuk

I am really shocked at the age of his death. He had only just turned 49 !

anybody have any information on what he died of ?

where was the location of his shop on gorgie road ?

132goals1958

If I recall correctly he attended a Hearts supporters function the night before his untimely and tragic death. Had the pleasure of meeting him one night in the old Blue Lagoon now the Caley Sample Room.There was a song about him to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas --- Cant remember all the words but it started

There is a bonnie Football team their colour is maroon

They have the finest centre that Scotland,s ever known

maroon hills remembered

126 gorgie road

across from Newton Street.

I've heard a couple of reasons, choked on his tongue, heart attack. not sure

When I was doing my month night shift I stopped for a paper when driving to my home in Clerwood. Never mentioned Hearts, and not much more than Good Morning, thanks, from both of us. I don't know if its only me or my personality,or the times, but never was in to treating known people as other than a person I met and never asked about their particular sphere of employment or occupation.

Notwithstanding that statement every time I went in the shop I silently looked at the man and thought of the memories he had left me with. One superb football player.

My father was exactly the same with Bobby Baxter who had a paper shop in Buccleuch Street opposite Gifford Park. Went in for his paper every day, same conversation as mine with Wullie Bauld

Edited by bobsharp

When I was doing my month night shift I stopped for a paper when driving to my home in Clerwood. Never mentioned Hearts, and not much more than Good Morning, thanks, from both of us. I don't know if its only me or my personality,or the times, but never was in to treating known people as other than a person I met and never asked about their particular sphere of employment or occupation.

Notwithstanding that statement every time I went in the shop I silently looked at the man and thought of the memories he had left me with. One superb football player.

My father was exactly the same with Bobby Baxter who had a paper shop in Buccleuch Street opposite Gifford Park. Went in for his paper every day, same conversation as mine with Wullie Bauld

Shocked to hear he died so young, absolute legend, my late father was always telling me how wonderful he was. R.I.P.

maroon hills remembered

As a youngster I used to deliver papers for him in the morning and after school. Often, while waiting for the papers to arrive, he would ask me how I was getting on with the amatuer team that I played for at the time and I would tell him. More often than not he would give me one or two tips to use on the park. Sadly they were wasted on me. As bobsharp said he never mentioned Hearts. May well have done so to Jimmy Wardhaugh or Alan Gordon and other players who came into the shop but I never heard him talk about them in general conversation.

I was telling my own son just recently that I've only ever had two hero's in my life, my own father and Willie. He never did anything to diminish that hero worship.

Before my time but probably our best ever player, from what I was told. Used yo have a link on the London Hearts site to a poster I was given by my Granddad of a poem dedicated to him (anyone remember reading it?)

Before my time but probably our best ever player, from what I was told. Used yo have a link on the London Hearts site to a poster I was given by my Granddad of a poem dedicated to him (anyone remember reading it?)

In fact I've done some digging and found it. :)

Quite apt too:

ripWB.jpg

He choked on his tounge .

Bob, I would echo this - I was regularly in and out of the shop in the early seventies and Willie was a very quite unassuming person - a true gentleman.

Wee Johnny Hamilton was the same in his shop in Slateford Road at the top of Robertson Avenue - though the paperboys always told me that Hammy was tighest fisted guy they has ever met!!

Great memories, used to go into his shop on way to school as well, seeing the King made me go all shy, used to go into Johnny Hamiltons shop as well, he was always grumpy I remember

We played East Fife the following day in a quarter final

I remember being told he had died while I was on dinner break at Tynie School, a JFK moment.

We would go into his newsagents almost every day on my way to school, never saw him play but you were always in awe of him, here was a guy who had his shop on Gorgie Road but wouldn't

go anywhere near Tynecastle for 12 years.

A tragic loss at a young age,only 49, he died 6 months after Willie Hamiltons death he was only 37 and then Jimmy Wardhaugh died in January 1978 aged only 49.

So Sad

I remember them all.

I would actually say that Willie Hamilton was the best player I've ever seen, some of the things he could do and goals he scored were amazing!

However Willie Bauld was the King, best centre forward in the land.

R.I.P. Willie

If I recall correctly he attended a Hearts supporters function the night before his untimely and tragic death. Had the pleasure of meeting him one night in the old Blue Lagoon now the Caley Sample Room.There was a song about him to the tune of The Yellow Rose of Texas --- Cant remember all the words but it started

That is China's party piece!

Ask him for a rendition at the dinner on Saturday.

I only remember the first verse:

There's a team down by Tynecastle, their colours are maroon,

they have the finest centre that Scotland's ever known,

you can talk about your Reillys, your Buckleys and them all,

but you should hear the roar go up when Willie's on the ball.

Reilly was the imposter from Hibs, and Paddy Buckley was the centre forward at Aberdeen.

I idolized Willie Bauld, and watched his career at Hearts from the first game to the last. He was hero-worshipped by Hearts supporters unlike any player since, although Robbo comes a close second.

He choked to death in his house on Slateford Road, near the foot of Craiglockhart Avenue. The Hearts world was devastated by his death.

I remember a few years back taking my son on the Hampden tour. Got chatting to one of the older guys leading it who asked what team we supported, then proceeded to tell me that although I was too young to remember Willie Bauld he was the best player this guy had seen.

He was a Celtic fan too and said he rated Bauld higher than any of the Lisbon Lions etc. That has always stayed with me, and caused me to wonder at how good a player he must have been.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Great memories, used to go into his shop on way to school as well, seeing the King made me go all shy, used to go into Johnny Hamiltons shop as well, he was always grumpy I remember

Aye Johnny Hamilton was a torn faced wee git, absoloutley no time for kids in his shop, was always telling them to hurry up and buy something, - an absolute salesman. ....LOL

Aye Johnny Hamilton was a torn faced wee git, absoloutley no time for kids in his shop, was always telling them to hurry up and buy something, - an absolute salesman. ....LOL

Used to pop into his shop when I was a boy and could agree with that. Don't know if he just couldn't be bothered with lots of kids in the shop but once I reached adulthood he would natter for ages about the old days. Used to see him in the gym at Capital Hotel occasionally, always had time for a blether and was still fit as a fiddle in his mid 70s but recently heard that he'd had a stroke a couple of months back and was quite poorly

• 8 years later...

I thought I would bump this thread as I only found out this evening, on the GOAT thread, what The King of Hearts died from.

I found this to be absolutely saddening.

RIP Mr Hearts

Geddyalexneil

I met him once. I asked him if he knew my mum as she said they had known each other when they were growing up. In a shock of huge proportions not only did he confirm he knew my mum but that he had asked her out when they were both teens. Apparently (he told me) she was too much of a tomboy climbing trees etc to go out with a boy. I had to double check he was definitely thinking of the right person! I mean my wee mum? He was. Could have knocked me down with a feather finding out that.

He was most gracious when I met him and was happy to give me an autograph. 

My mum was a Heart's fan as she said "how could I support any other team than the one Willie played for?" Thanks to her I support Hearts. For that I am eternally grateful.

My pap and my dad raved about him when I was wee.

What do folk that saw him play, live, think of the great man?

Willie was the King.

Robbo, the Ace.

Rudi, the Prince.

Tell me your thoughts and memories of Willie Bauld.

7 minutes ago, Geddyalexneil said:

I met him once. I asked him if he knew my mum as she said they had known each other when they were growing up. In a shock of huge proportions not only did he confirm he knew my mum but that he had asked her out when they were both teens. Apparently (he told me) she was too much of a tomboy climbing trees etc to go out with a boy. I had to double check he was definitely thinking of the right person! I mean my wee mum? He was. Could have knocked me down with a feather finding out that.

He was most gracious when I met him and was happy to give me an autograph. 

My mum was a Heart's fan as she said "how could I support any other team than the one Willie played for?" Thanks to her I support Hearts. For that I am eternally grateful.

That’s a tremendous story, Geddy.

Thank you for posting that.

Francis Albert
On 12/03/2013 at 06:55, jbee647 said:

Sounds in character. Also a bloody pain in the neck  for any opposing defender. A great player. One of my early favourites along with Tricky Tommy Traynor on the other wing. Two wingers ... Imagine!

My late Dad’s hero.  He was chuffed when he realised my future Grandparents lived next door to WB’s parents in Newcraighall when my Dad started seeing my Mum.😁 (Back in the 50s).

He idolised many players at that time given how good Hearts were but Willie Bauld was the one. 

To emphasis how much WB was revered, my late Hibs supporting Uncle said he was his favourite player at that time.  I also spoke football with an old Hibby resident of a carehome in Joppa one time, around 2001, when I worked on its renovation. He said when his Uncle took him to derbies in the 50s, he’d say, “we’ll beat them today, pal”.

He’d reply, “not if Willie Bauld is playing”.....  🙂

Edited by Debut 4

Das Viertel Hearts

It must have been Incredible to see a player of such talent and surrounded by others of similar stature!!! On their day capable of beating any of the world's finest!!! 😊

Francis Albert

My parents worshipped Willie Bauld. I probably saw him.play because I was taken to games from the very early 60s but have no recollection. I do remember neighbours going to see his funeral procession to see the king for the last time

Francis Albert
On 11/03/2013 at 07:50, Hearts Heritage said:

He came back in 1975 for the cup game vs Kilmarnock . Drew Busby scored a goal reminiscent of The King himself , a wonderful flying header from a Roy Kay cross.

Yes but I believe he attended an earlier game "incognito" to see a relative "nephew" or "cousin"? Will have to look it up. I think it was in a short lived magazine called 1874 which I have somewhere.