Hearts of Glory

Cobblers

The huns would steal the gold out your teeth:mad:

Balderdash - it is a loyalist site not a Rangers site.

Loyalists are proud of the UK's efforts in both world wars. Therefore it seems perfectly logical to me that a song about young britons going to fight for their country at the Somme has been adopted by Loyalists!

As for it "seeming wrong" that our song is on "their" site - Hearts fans have been singing loyalist songs for the last 40 years, and continue to do so.

Share and share alike :rolleyes:

davemclaren

Loyalists are proud of the UK's efforts in both world wars. Therefore it seems perfectly logical to me that a song about young britons going to fight for their country at the Somme has been adopted by Loyalists!

As for it "seeming wrong" that our song is on "their" site - Hearts fans have been singing loyalist songs for the last 40 years, and continue to do so.

Good to see it there alongside a selection of 'paramilitary lyrics'.

Their words not mine.... :mad:

I'm sure the BNP are proud of the UK's efforts in both wars as well but I would think it odd if the song was on their site. Each to their own I suppose.

scott herbertson

" Who cared for the Kaiser or imperial gains

Love of our country

, duty or fame?

Between the whim of an airman and four feathers of shame

We fought for the pals of a wee fitba team "

A song which says that 'love of our country' wasn't the motive for fighting in the war seems a strange choice for a loyalist site!

That'll be why it's run by the LoyalistBears then.:confused:

That'll be why it's run by the LoyalistBears then.:confused:

Give it a rest eh? It is "HOSTED" by LoyalistBears.

I can't see a Rangers song on it?!

" Who cared for the Kaiser or imperial gains

Love of our country

' date=' duty or fame?

Between the whim of an airman and four feathers of shame

We fought for the pals of a wee fitba team "

A song which says that 'love of our country' wasn't the motive for fighting in the war seems a strange choice for a loyalist site! [/quote']

Agreed to an extent, however I think that the song quite rightly portrays the fact that most people who went to fight in WW1 fought with and for their pals. I think British loyalists can be justly proud of that.

"The White Feathers of Midlothian" did themselves proud, and I don't think they would be happy about present day Hearts fans using their memory to score points against, or take the morale high ground against fans of opposing clubs.

I hope that whoever has posted the lyrics has complied with copyright law and has the author and/or publisher's permission.

Colonel Kurtz

Were the players of rangers not found in the main contrived jobs in the Govan shipyard which carried conscription exemption....

No fighting,never mind No Surrender

Francis Albert

.... and I believe there were more "volunteers" to fight the Kaiser from what is now the Republic than from the North (although poverty probably had more to do with that than loyalty).

monkfish1979
Agreed to an extent, however I think that the song quite rightly portrays the fact that most people who went to fight in WW1 fought with and for their pals. I think British loyalists can be justly proud of that.

Why? What does it have to do with being British? British Loyalists now can GTF. Few of them - if any - have experienced anything like what happened to these guys during the world wars.

Proud of people for making a huge sacrifice for something they believed in? Fine, it's admirable that these guys felt strongly enough to put everything at risk to preserve their own way of life.

"Proud" of an "institution" that is used more and more by people with the most base of intentions to try and justify mindless hatred? GTF. People like that shouldn't be allowed to spawn.

Give it a rest eh? It is "HOSTED" by LoyalistBears.

I can't see a Rangers song on it?!

"The White Feathers of Midlothian" did themselves proud, and I don't think they would be happy about present day Hearts fans using their memory to score points against, or take the morale high ground against fans of opposing clubs.

Oh that's OK then:confused:

Who's trying to score points. I just thought it was sad that a song written predominantly about Hearts Players (and those who fought alongside them) had been posted on a site that had nothing to do with them or Hearts with clear sectarian prejudices.

I'm sure all the non protestants who fought in MacCrae's battalion are really proud of where their memorial song has ended up.:confused:

Why? What does it have to do with being British? British Loyalists now can GTF. Few of them - if any - have experienced anything like what happened to these guys during the world wars.

Proud of people for making a huge sacrifice for something they believed in? Fine, it's admirable that these guys felt strongly enough to put everything at risk to preserve their own way of life.

"Proud" of an "institution" that is used more and more by people with the most base of intentions to try and justify mindless hatred? GTF. People like that shouldn't be allowed to spawn.

Sorry, but what are you on about?

In my opinion people who can't string coherent sentences together "shouldn't be allowed to spawn". :rolleyes:

monkfish1979
Sorry, but what are you on about?

In my opinion people who can't string coherent sentences together "shouldn't be allowed to spawn". :rolleyes:

Where, exactly, does what I posted not make sense? I made the point that present day loyalists tend to use their "patriotism" as an excuse to spout pesh and start fights. Terribly sorry if my use of language offends or confuses you.

Spellczech

Is "loyalist" not reference to the monarchy rather than religion or the country? Just a small point.

MacDonald Jardine
Is "loyalist" not reference to the monarchy rather than religion or the country? Just a small point.

It's certainly not the religion.

It's loyalty to the Crown, which defines the British system of government.

There could be an argument about whether you could have a loyalist to a future Britsh republican government.

Colonel Kurtz

I suppose they will be claiming "The Green fields of France" as a loyalist song and the poems of Wilfred Owen.

They meet the same criterea as Hearts of Glory, insomuch as theyr all about WW1

They have also laid claim to the entire back catalogue of hits by Queen

MacDonald Jardine
I suppose they will be claiming "The Green fields of France" as a loyalist song and the poems of Wilfred Owen.

They meet the same criterea as Hearts of Glory, insomuch as theyr all about WW1

They have also laid claim to the entire back catalogue of hits by Queen

The "Green fields of France" or "Willie McBride" is used as a loyalist song, and more specifically by one paramilitary group.

scott herbertson
I hope that whoever has posted the lyrics has complied with copyright law and has the author and/or publisher's permission.

I doubt if Craig will bother.

Anyone with half a brain can see the song has no connection with loyalism, even by a rudimentary reading of the lyrics. The song was inspired by Jack Alexander's book - a beautifully crafted and profoundly researched book, which puts more eloquently than I can say, the case for the sacrifice made by those who fought in the war to be about comradeship and fellow feeling, not 'love of country' or loyalism in any sense other than loyalty to ones friends, family and local society, and for the power of peer pressure in 'volunteering'.

Jack Alexander
Oh that's OK then:confused:

Who's trying to score points. I just thought it was sad that a song written predominantly about Hearts Players (and those who fought alongside them) had been posted on a site that had nothing to do with them or Hearts with clear sectarian prejudices.

I'm sure all the non protestants who fought in MacCrae's battalion are really proud of where their memorial song has ended up.:confused:

Because of the terrible losses sustained by 36 Division on 1/7/16 the area immediately adjacent to La Boisselle/Contalmaison is considered 'holy' ground by Ulster Loyalists. The German defensive position on 36 Div's front was awesome and the achievements of the Division that morning almost matched it.

I've seen a great many 1 Julys on the Western Front and in the last few years there's been a visible deterioration in the calibre of 'pilgrim' travelling to France in memory of the Ulsters. Last year we shared a hotel in Arras with a large group in matching blazers and 'official' ties. When we tried to engage them in conversation on the subject of 1916, their response (almost to a man) was 'I don't know much about it, pal. You'd be better talking to our group leader." It didn't stop them staying out in the town's main square until three in the morning, singing sectarian songs at the top of their lungs. Perhaps that's just their way of paying tribute to a brave generation of young Irishmen.

I've also had occasion to point out that there were many Catholics in 36 Division. Not all Catholics were Republicans. I nearly got lynched. In Contalmaison itself I've told people that McCrae's Battalion had no truck with any kind of sectarian divisiveness. It was a 'broad church'. On observing that Paddy Crossan (possibly Hearts' most wholehearted player of all time) was a Catholic and that Harry Wattie (posthumously) became brother-in-law to a Catholic, I was told '**** them, then."

Personally (and I'm not writing on behalf of the MB Trust) I deplore any attempt by any group to claim the story of the Footballers' Battalion for their own peculiar ends - particularly if those ends are twisted by the kind of hatred and ignorance so often displayed in the name of defending the Union. 'Hearts of Glory' (it seems to me) expresses a tolerant and fraternal view of the world utterly opposed to that displayed by the website in question - and I hope that Craig is successful if he decides that he would like to have it removed.

Colonel Kurtz
The "Green fields of France" or "Willie McBride" is used as a loyalist song, and more specifically by one paramilitary group.

you dont do Irony then

Archived