Webster

CostaJambo

OK I'm the first one to admit I don't go to many games as I live abroad so don't often post in the Terrace but I am finding it hard to understand what is happening at the moment with our defence. In the last few games we have had far more shots and far more shots on target than the opposition yet have lost every one of these games. Is it fair to say Zal's injury probably cost McGlynn his job a few games earlier than it might have happened? What is going on with the defence when the opposition only gets 2 or 3 shots on target the whole game yet still gets a victory? Is Webster the player we thought he was or is the fact that he doesn't have Zal alongside him showing him up as a has-been? Genuine question, I always rated Webby but the last few results have showed our defence is leaking whenever the oposition get a shot on target, is he doing enough or are there other factors regarding our recent defending?

letsalllaughathobos

Webster has been rank for ages, just folk love him cause he's a big honest Scottish laddie, Zal is and has always been far superior to webby,

In my opinion

From Perth to Paisley

When Webby has dropped out its been a more experienced back line that has been left. We now have a back line with 3 U21s playing. It also keeps changing, he's partnered Barr, McGowan and Wilson. We've had Barr, McGowan and Mullen play RB and McHattie and Wilson play at LB. I'm not sure Zal would have done any better in these circumstances. Much easier to just slot in a new CB when the rest of the back 4 stay constant.

Webster's as soft as shite and only ever looks decent when he's beside a dominant centre half like Zal or Prhessley.

Webster's as soft as shite and only ever looks decent when he's beside a dominant centre half like Zal or Prhessley.

Good point.

I don't think he's captain material either - the defence has been terribly disorganised throughout the last 5 games.

Good point mate

Spot on

Our two centre halves were absolutely bullied by one single striker today.

I shudder to think what Thompson and Goncalves will do to them at Hampden.

Even Gary fecking Kenneth brought the best out in Webster.

Tommy Wiseau

Not a leader and doesn't take enough responsibility.

Said yesterday he spoke well, but he had to lead by example. Again he never did that today. Good lord we miss our captain.

He's a great player who is having a bad run of form. On paper, Webster & Wilson sounds brilliant but they've not been producing the good. We certainly miss Zal.

Mind you, I don't think the defence was helped by our midfield and goalkeeper today. Particularly first half.

The regular JKB debate over who is better, Zal or Webster has been answered in the past month.

Unknown user

Yep, even first time round he looked awesome until Elvis was unavailable to play.

There are a few things he does very well but too many weaknesses in his game

Good point.

I don't think he's captain material either - the defence has been terribly disorganised throughout the last 5 games.

This, i was in section A so was watching him closely in the 1st half. He just seemed to have his head down most of the time, no encouragement for his younger, less experienced team mates and just looked a shadow of the player we are used to seeing. i know that being captian isnt always about shouting and bawling at the team, but these young guys need to be encouraged by the senior pros. I didnt see much evidence of that from webster or indeed Stevenson.

The regular JKB debate over who is better, Zal or Webster has been answered in the past month.

With respect mate the original question was nothing to do with which of the two is better, it was more to do with whether Webster is stepping up to the plate so to speak in Zal's absence and marshalling the defence, or rather, why he isn't doing that. With his age and experience I would've expected a lot more but as a non regular match attendee I was just looking for the thoughts of regular match goers.

Going back to my OP I am at a loss as to why we are having far more shots on target but stil losing, despite watching and listening to every game it's hard to form a proper opinion unless you are there in the flesh so was just wondering if Webby has to take most of the blame or perhaps not?

I am pretty stunned at how poor Webster has been without Zal next to him. He really needs to step up and start organising the defence as it is a shambles just now. He is by far the most experienced defender we have and should be performing far better than he has lately.

Jambof3tornado

Even Gary fecking Kenneth brought the best out in Webster.

Correct. So we dont need to spend big to get the best out of webster when Zal goes. Just bring in a CH that is happy to head through the back of a striker.

plastic_bas

I think the main problem is the poor positioning of our right backs since R. McGowan left.

Webster is a fantastic reader of the game but he's never been a strong tackler. When Mullen/D. McGowan have been caught out you find Webster covering in positions he's clearly not comfortable out on the wing. I've never seen Webster spend so much time on at the touchline as in recent weeks and it shows up his lack of athleticism.

Let's not get bogged down in a Webster v Zal debate! They are two quality players who compliment each other and we were just lucky to have them playing together for so long.

Francis Albert

Obviously he relishes responsibiilty and no longer having to "carry" Zal has had a bad effect.

He's struggling to help other players in the defence, which is why it's such a mess.

Compare today to the last derby, where Zal had to talk McGowan through the game at CB - night and day.

rossthejambo

Said it for years, even during his first spell. Whenever Pressley was out he was poor and Berra always looked the better player.

Would seem that the same things happening again because I thought, after the first 15 minutes anyway, Wilson looked much more assured than Webster.

Jambos_1874

The defence has collapsed without Zal. McDonald has generally had very little to do in the games we've lost other than pick the ball out of the back of the net. It's just that whenever the opposition have an attack with any cutting edge they just seem to walk right through. Webster hasn't been great recently but the other defenders need to shoulder some of the blame. I just hope they can get it together for the final and derby.

Thunderstruck

I think we need a settled defence. Stick with Webster and Wilson in the middle and leave McHattie and Mullen as full backs. It is also important to have someone strong in front of the back 4 - Barr has done well there and Denis did well in that role on Wednesday.

The defence needs to be comfortable and understand each other.

Webster can only pick up one guy at one time. Its not his fault that as a team we've been shite at the back for **** sake. Aye, zal might have taken care of most things, but he can't be responsible for a makeshift defence filled with inexperience. Individual errors have cost us recent games, not an individual.

Getintaethem

With Zal out we don't have a defender that will attack the ball. We also don't have a defender that can see a pass.

Tommy Wiseau

Webster can only pick up one guy at one time. Its not his fault that as a team we've been shite at the back for **** sake. Aye, zal might have taken care of most things, but he can't be responsible for a makeshift defence filled with inexperience. Individual errors have cost us recent games, not an individual.

Let's just take a look at a wee case study. Webster out injured, Edinburgh derby at Tynecastle. The defence that night was Barr at right back, Zaliukas and Dylan McGowan centre back, McHattie left back. Zaliukas talked the rest of the defence through the game and McGowan in particular was excellent as we got a clean sheet. Today's defence was McGowan, Webster, Wilson and McHattie. McGowan gets hooked after 50 minutes after having a major part in 2 goals against us and we look shaky all afternoon. Very similar ability and experience levels, very different outcomes.

No one is blaming Webster for our defensive problems, they are just saying he should be taking more responsibility to organise and help the younger players through.

kissthebadge

Against Inverness when Ngoo got booked for raising his hands and was committing a foul a minute, I was looking for Webster to have a word with him, or even the ref. neither happened.

He doesn't appear to organise the defence and is happy to push up without bringing the rest of the defence with him.

Today we lost a goal within a minute and the FIRST thing he did was tie his shoe laces. The second thing he did was re-tie his shoe laces. No inquiry, no conversation with his fellow defenders, no "come on boys concentrate " shouts. From what I see each week, he has no leadership qualities. He was a great defender, he still is an excellent defender but only IF playing next to a faster, more aggressive centre back.

He seems to be a man dependant on confidence, he appears to have zero at the moment.

rossthejambo

Against Inverness when Ngoo got booked for raising his hands and was committing a foul a minute, I was looking for Webster to have a word with him, or even the ref. neither happened.

He doesn't appear to organise the defence and is happy to push up without bringing the rest of the defence with him.

Today we lost a goal within a minute and the FIRST thing he did was tie his shoe laces. The second thing he did was re-tie his shoe laces. No inquiry, no conversation with his fellow defenders, no "come on boys concentrate " shouts. From what I see each week, he has no leadership qualities. He was a great defender, he still is an excellent defender but only IF playing next to a faster, more aggressive centre back.

He seems to be a man dependant on confidence, he appears to have zero at the moment.

The only player I seen geeing up the others was Taouil, he was at it all afternoon.

My favoured centre half didn`t have a great first half today..........He was culpable at the 2nd goal but like the rest of the team, he setlled and looked more solid as the game wore on.

Seymour M Hersh

For a man that spouted forth about (para-phrase) stepping up to the plate he was utterly silent to his young back four. No coaching, organising or leading as far as I could see.

The only player I seen geeing up the others was Taouil, he was at it all afternoon.

Sutton was talking to ngoo a lot

Cappuccino Kid

But I'm sure someone on here told us how much Webby talked that big Liff through games.

Said this to my mate at the game. Webster is a good player but never is he a leader in your life. Zal is, and whether people like it or not Pressley certainly was too. He has gone missing since he has been left responsible for the defence. Zal is a far superior player IMHO.

davemclaren

Zal and Webster are a great pairing as Zal attacks the ball and Webster sweeps up behind him. Without Zal, or a similar type player, the defence is shaky and Webster is less effective.

upgotheheads

Yes

Definitely miss Zal... buy laying the blame squarely at Webster's feet is a bit much... The whole team is honking right now, losing comical goals. It doesn't help playing a different defensive lineup each match.

I agree Webster is the most senior player and should be the leader on the park but he is also a player who hates losing and let's his frustrations get the better of him.

2nil down inside 10 mins yesterday and we were beat. Awful first half due to new set up lack of leadership and players not taking responsibility for their own performances. We rallied in the second as oddly enough being 2nil down allowed us to play.

It's a fear of losing that is stopping us from playing. Confidence is everything and for that we need strong man management and yes leadership from our experienced players... but we also need 11 leaders out there, players who are focused and know their role.

Yesterday showed us up for a team that has been messed around with too much.

Webster needs to step up but he needs his team mates to do so also.

Archived