website creation

Jambof3tornado

Jambof3tornado

Ok kickbackers, I'm after any advice or hints/tips on buying a domain name and web hosting for a small business the wife is looking to get going. Looked on 123 reg site, is it any good?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Ok kickbackers, I'm after any advice or hints/tips on buying a domain name and web hosting for a small business the wife is looking to get going. Looked on 123 reg site, is it any good?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My friend does this sort of thing. I can PM you his details if you like? He's built a few sites.

The People's Chimp

Is wix.com hosting or did you host through 123 reg mate?

Think i just paid the reg fee at 123 reg and then paid wix to host. While the website is a bit ronseal, it's mile ahead of some that competitors have paid for so I'd say wix is pretty cost effective.

Jambof3tornado

So once you register the name can you move it to different hosts or are you stuck in once place? Also if you design the site can it be moved to another host?? (Thick as mince about all this, bbc computers all round when I did it at school)

One thing to watch out for if you register with 123 is they've blocked off the ability to set a forwarding email for [email protected] unless you're hosted by them too. Bit of a pain - best to see if the hosting company will also register for you. I'm currently using www.justhostme.co.uk

JamboInSouthsea

Have heard that WordPress is a pretty good bit of kit for building your website, never used it tho' but it's mainly free, some themes you have to pay for.

Also I use Kompozer, which is free, to produce 'what you see if what you get' websites, a bit like DreamWeaver...it generates the HTML if you don't know how to write it although it's always worth learning.

I'd shop around when choosing your host and see who offers the best deal and security...this will depend on the website and how much you can afford.

Archived