DIY - Building a garden fence

Era Macaroons

Era Macaroons

As Kickback is the fountain of all knowledge I thought I may as well throw this in the pot.

I usually think such tasks are a piece of pi$$ then get 1/2 way through it, start flapping and call in my joiner mate. who has to pick up the pieces.....not this time tho, Im determined to conquer 'the fence'

I plan to build a huge fence at the weekend. L-shaped

20m x 10m ranch style fence (horizontal planks) 6 foot high

I need to buy a lot of wooden posts and planks...where best to buy this ? Rembrand timber?

Any tips / horror stories welcomed!

theres a horror story in my back garden. Not mine but the neighbours put up a fench not unlike the 1 ur describing. Terrible job, Its about as straight as steve from the clum video.

Dig the holes for the supporting pillars deep and make sure youve secured it with cement.

Its a bigger job than you think though.

Era Macaroons
theres a horror story in my back garden. Not mine but the neighbours put up a fench not unlike the 1 ur describing. Terrible job, Its about as straight as steve from the clum video.

Dig the holes for the supporting pillars deep and make sure youve secured it with cement.

Its a bigger job than you think though.

haha

ive got the holes all dug out (2 feet deep) but I am mincing it a bit it case it looks guff.......or blows over next week.

fortunatley my fence wont border any neighbours.

Father Tiresias
As Kickback is the fountain of all knowledge I thought I may as well throw this in the pot.

I usually think such tasks are a piece of pi$$ then get 1/2 way through it, start flapping and call in my joiner mate. who has to pick up the pieces.....not this time tho, Im determined to conquer 'the fence'

I plan to build a huge fence at the weekend. L-shaped

20m x 10m ranch style fence (horizontal planks) 6 foot high

I need to buy a lot of wooden posts and planks...where best to buy this ? Rembrand timber?

Any tips / horror stories welcomed!

Dead easy mate!!

Get all you need from Forest Craft at Granton. Tell the guy how high your making the fence and how long it is and he'll sort you out with the posts and planks.

Sand, chips and cement from Builders Supply in Inglis Green Road and your sorted.

Dig the holes to about 60cm deep and try to keep them from not getting too wide.

Job done!!

Nucky Thompson

Get your wood from lawsons timber in Sighthill industrial estate, cheap and free delivery. The planks are 3.6m long and you want a post at every 1.8m.

DON'T get your chips, sand and cement from a builders merchant. Go to Granton builders on West Granton Road for the chips and sand(half the price) and get the cement from B&Q warehouse(cheapest in town)

Make sure you borrow a cement mixer to mix your concrete, hand batching that amount will kill you:rolleyes:

Era Macaroons

Ive been away, but thanks to Chizzy and The Boo for the tips.

especially about where to get the stuff cheap

project under way!:)

Era Macaroons

this was my first attempt but I was convinced people could see through it if they they were walking past at a certain angle

fence_thumb.jpg

championsleaguefan

Jm scotts timber gorebridge cheap as.

order your concrete in already mixed from concrete place that I forget the name off down a country lane near Ikea. (haha what a riddle) or try wee mix save bags of time. make sure all the posts are at the right distance apart save cutting all the boards.

Thats your free tips from an ex fence builder.

this was my first attempt but I was convinced people could see through it if they they were walking past at a certain angle

That looks like something from The Blair Witch Project :rolleyes:

Era Macaroons
Jm scotts timber gorebridge cheap as.

order your concrete in already mixed from concrete place that I forget the name off down a country lane near Ikea. (haha what a riddle) or try wee mix save bags of time. make sure all the posts are at the right distance apart save cutting all the boards.

Thats your free tips from an ex fence builder.

thanks ...will check this out also.

also while im at it .....how much would u pay for a large skip....140 + vat ?

and would u put all posts in first....or build post then put planks on followed by another post etc...or does it not matter!

i am no diy expert but have completed many taska under the supervision of my all knowing grandfather. i built a pretty big fence about half the lengths that you are attempting. the only thing i remember my grandad going on about was keeping it straight. to do this we ran string from the first post and tied it off at the other end. it has to be tight and then all the posts you set after that must be just on the string. this will make sure your posts are straight. be prepared for blistered hands or get a shot of a nail gun for putting planks on

Era Macaroons
i am no diy expert but have completed many taska under the supervision of my all knowing grandfather. i built a pretty big fence about half the lengths that you are attempting. the only thing i remember my grandad going on about was keeping it straight. to do this we ran string from the first post and tied it off at the other end. it has to be tight and then all the posts you set after that must be just on the string. this will make sure your posts are straight. be prepared for blistered hands or get a shot of a nail gun for putting planks on

thanks for the string tip.....are nail guns as good as banging in 'proper' nails ie nails with a head on them, dont nail guns sink right in to the wood?

Archived