hobo penny-pincher

maroonlegions

maroonlegions

Police catch penny-pincher enjoying a dip in new pond

POLICE have swooped on a man picking up coins from the pond in St Andrew Square ? and charged him with theft.

Officers were alerted by an office worker who spotted the man dipping into the water feature, which is part of the ?2.6 million revamp of the newly opened garden. Police said today a 34-year-old man had been cautioned and charged for "theft by lifting".:rolleyes:

Although the coins have been thrown away for luck, they are collected and given to charity and stealing them is said to be technically illegal.

The charge comes after the Evening News reported this week how signs are to be erected warning people not to throw money into the water, just weeks after the garden opened to the public for the first time in 238 years.

Ian Broadfoot, of the Edinburgh City Centre Management Company, praised the office worker who called the police and asked other members of the public to do the same.

He said: "We were informed by Lothian and Borders Police that there had been an incident in the garden on Tuesday afternoon concerning the alleged removal of coins from the water feature.

"The police responded to a telephone call from a concerned office worker who had read the article regarding the garden in Monday's Evening News. I would like to thank the vigilant office worker for contacting the police. I would like to encourage other workers or visitors to the garden to report any further incidents to the police."

He added: "To help us to ensure that this ceases to happen we would urge visitors to the garden to keep their money in their pockets or purses.

"The newly opened garden is a tranquil and beautiful location that has been designed for all to enjoy and we are confident that the action of these few individuals will not have an adverse affect on this city centre oasis."

A police spokesman said a report would be sent to the procurator fiscal in connection with the incident, which took place at about 4.20pm.

The reopening of the garden was hailed as a great step forward in rejuvenating the city centre.

As well as the so-called reflecting pool, the park boasts new lighting, a cafe and a new pathway linking department stores Harvey Nichols and Jenners.

City centre councillor Joanna Mowat branded those stealing from the pool as "neds".:107years:

She said: "My overriding concern is that we're going to have to have signage put up which is going to detract from the vistas.

"I would suspect it's not homeless people doing this. I would hope there would be a little bit of discretion shown by the police if that was the case."

Designed by renowned architect James Craig, the garden was an integral part of his New Town masterplan.

Traditionally, it was open only to a select group of local residents and businesses, which have included philosopher David Hume, who lived at No 8, and politician and inventor Henry Brougham, who lived at No 21.

The pond is not the first high-profile water feature to be blighted by opportunists.;)

:107years::107years:

Police catch penny-pincher enjoying a dip in new pond

POLICE have swooped on a man picking up coins from the pond in St Andrew Square ? and charged him with theft.

Officers were alerted by an office worker who spotted the man dipping into the water feature, which is part of the ?2.6 million revamp of the newly opened garden. Police said today a 34-year-old man had been cautioned and charged for "theft by lifting".:rolleyes:

Although the coins have been thrown away for luck, they are collected and given to charity and stealing them is said to be technically illegal.

The charge comes after the Evening News reported this week how signs are to be erected warning people not to throw money into the water, just weeks after the garden opened to the public for the first time in 238 years.

Ian Broadfoot, of the Edinburgh City Centre Management Company, praised the office worker who called the police and asked other members of the public to do the same.

He said: "We were informed by Lothian and Borders Police that there had been an incident in the garden on Tuesday afternoon concerning the alleged removal of coins from the water feature.

"The police responded to a telephone call from a concerned office worker who had read the article regarding the garden in Monday's Evening News. I would like to thank the vigilant office worker for contacting the police. I would like to encourage other workers or visitors to the garden to report any further incidents to the police."

He added: "To help us to ensure that this ceases to happen we would urge visitors to the garden to keep their money in their pockets or purses.

"The newly opened garden is a tranquil and beautiful location that has been designed for all to enjoy and we are confident that the action of these few individuals will not have an adverse affect on this city centre oasis."

A police spokesman said a report would be sent to the procurator fiscal in connection with the incident, which took place at about 4.20pm.

The reopening of the garden was hailed as a great step forward in rejuvenating the city centre.

As well as the so-called reflecting pool, the park boasts new lighting, a cafe and a new pathway linking department stores Harvey Nichols and Jenners.

City centre councillor Joanna Mowat branded those stealing from the pool as "neds".:107years:

She said: "My overriding concern is that we're going to have to have signage put up which is going to detract from the vistas.

"I would suspect it's not homeless people doing this. I would hope there would be a little bit of discretion shown by the police if that was the case."

Designed by renowned architect James Craig, the garden was an integral part of his New Town masterplan.

Traditionally, it was open only to a select group of local residents and businesses, which have included philosopher David Hume, who lived at No 8, and politician and inventor Henry Brougham, who lived at No 21.

The pond is not the first high-profile water feature to be blighted by opportunists.;)

:107years::107years:

I fail to see how that is illegal. People throw money away, and someone picks it up.

cosanostra

City centre councillor Joanna Mowat branded those stealing from the pool as "neds".

hahaha!!

I fail to see how that is illegal. People throw money away, and someone picks it up.

i'm with you. might not do it personally but seems a bit harsh. Sounds like easy pickings for the police if you ask me.

Archived