White Rose Resistance Movement 70th Anniversary of executions

heartgarfunkel

heartgarfunkel

300px-WhiteRose.jpg

Munich

These three lost their heads on this day in 1943 for standing up to the Nazi regime. Along with the others in the group, and all of those who don't conform to evil, I salute them.

'Sophie Scholl, The Last Days', the film is well worth a watch, though the title is a bit of a giveaway in terms of a happy ending :thumb:

Has anyone been to any of the sites in Munich that tie in with their actions? Got the Bavarian capital in my sites for a visit this year.

To call these people heroes doesn't even start to cover it. In Munich there are lots of sites connected with them, especially on the Leopoldstrasse and around the university and the graves of the three are in Perlach, on the south side of the city. Incidentaly, the square in front of the university in Innsbruck (where I live) is named after one of their members, Christof Probst, who studied there.

'Fraid not HG but Flabs & I did spend a bit of time at a 'bookstore' in a certain part of town ... a couple of magazines from which I learned the art of fisting. We also went to the rather excellent German Military museum that had tonnes of fantastic miniature battle scenes and some crackin full sized bombers & fighters. An agreeable way to spend a few hours stopover on our way to Bologna.

I know this response doesn't quite answer your historical planing based questions but thought it might be helpful if you fancied something else. :thumbsup:

The Real Maroonblood

300px-WhiteRose.jpg

Munich

These three lost their heads on this day in 1943 for standing up to the Nazi regime. Along with the others in the group, and all of those who don't conform to evil, I salute them.

'Sophie Scholl, The Last Days', the film is well worth a watch, though the title is a bit of a giveaway in terms of a happy ending :thumb:

Has anyone been to any of the sites in Munich that tie in with their actions? Got the Bavarian capital in my sites for a visit this year.

IIRC one of the walking tours I did covered this.

Munich is a great place to visit.

I am going back this year.

Konrad von Carstein

300px-WhiteRose.jpg

Munich

Showing my ignorance, but what is the story behind your post?

ETA: Googled and was humbled, we are horrible species!

Haven't been to Munich, the White Rose are mentioned in the Bendlerstrasse in Berlin (centre of the 20th July coup) which is well worth a visit.

heartgarfunkel

Haven't been to Munich, the White Rose are mentioned in the Bendlerstrasse in Berlin (centre of the 20th July coup) which is well worth a visit.

Been there Dougie, great museum to the German resistance. We also went out to Plotzensee prison where the death chamber has been preserved as a memorial - a deeply unsettling place to visit. A mundane building with a horrendous history. As well as commemorating the thousands who were guillotined in the room, the metal beam from which the July 1944 bomb-plotters were hanged is still in situation. Some very disturbing stuff about the use of the bodies of victims was on the news recently.

http://www.gedenkstaette-ploetzensee.de/index_e.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-21086388

heartgarfunkel

'Fraid not HG but Flabs & I did spend a bit of time at a 'bookstore' in a certain part of town ... a couple of magazines from which I learned the art of fisting. We also went to the rather excellent German Military museum that had tonnes of fantastic miniature battle scenes and some crackin full sized bombers & fighters. An agreeable way to spend a few hours stopover on our way to Bologna.

I know this response doesn't quite answer your historical planing based questions but thought it might be helpful if you fancied something else. :thumbsup:

Cheers AJ, bet you and Flabs spent **** all in that bookshop! :thumb:

Cheers AJ, bet you and Flabs spent **** all in that bookshop! :thumb:

Wouldn't accept the old five pence pieces ... rather inconvenient that.

Can recommend Mike's bike tours. Cover more ground obviously than on foot and they visit a couple of the sites relevant to the story along with other great Munich sites

during the nazi years in germany another flower was also used to oppose the regime , the forget me not, which might surprise a few when they find out who were involved in it

Inspirational people.

Sophie Scholl is as much a Christian martyr as Dietrich Bonhoeffer and yet her story is less well known.

Archived