We Don't Do Doughnuts, We're British

ArcticJambo

The doughnut thread got me reminiscing for right proper pastries so get to it folks ... share your sweet vices.

Moi ? I practically lived off two cheese & onion pasties and a fruit slice from Greggs through the late eighties - they were absolutely magnificent. Tangy with real raisin/sultanas, and the light pastry wasn't too overpowering, the perfect compliment. In fact had I been asked to give a valedictory speech at graduation I'd have reserved the final special thanks to that motivational force, the C & O pasty and fruit slice. Rock on Tommy. :thumbsup:

Also, big shout out for the original Crawford's iced fly cemeteries - might just be my Desert Island choice. And of course, the Dresden Bun ... not the one that morphed into the poncy Belgian Bun with its wee centered glazed cherry bit, but the Dresden bun - the one that weighted about a pound; totally obliterated by icing ... a good old British GIRUY Gerry pastry. More :thumbsup:

From Perth to Paisley

a Fords Chicken Curry Pie and a YumYum was my lunch fairly regularly for a wee while.

Bring back Fords....always enjoyed a steak pie from there as well.

Was much better than Gregs

Marks and Spencer's Cream Slices. :thumbsup:

Marks and Spencer's Vanilla Slices. :thumbsup:

Marks and Spencer's profiteroles. :thumbsup:

And iced giant yum yums from my local bakery in Oxford. :thumbsup:

Thinking about it, it's a wonder I even managed to fit on a plane to travel to Uruguay at all... :mellow:

I had my first yum yum for years a few days. I used to love them when I was a kid now it's so sweet I struggled to finish it.

I did though.

a Fords Chicken Curry Pie and a YumYum was my lunch fairly regularly for a wee while.

Yum Yums ... good shout, though you're straying awfully close to our hated subject ... they're really just a twisted lazy man's doughnut.

Joey J J Jr Shabadoo

Bring back Fords....always enjoyed a steak pie from there as well.

Was much better than Gregs

Baynes have taken over some Fords shops. Good shop - better than Greggs (IMO) and their steak bakes are the mutts.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Also, big shout out for the original Crawford's iced fly cemeteries - might just be my Dessert Island choice. And of course, the Dresden Bun ... not the one that morphed into the poncy Belgian Bun with its wee centered glazed cherry bit, but the Dresden bun - the one that weighted about a pound; totally obliterated by icing ... a good old British GIRUY Gerry pastry. More :thumbsup:

FTFY

FTFY

:thumbsup: When I was re-reading it after posting I thought that would've been the clever play on words move but by then it was too late.

Can't beat an Apple Turnover.

I'm going to claim a Danish pastry as being British so that's a close second to an Apple Turnover.

Can't beat an Apple Turnover.

Yes you can!

The butcher (oddly) next to my flat years ago used to sell turnovers his wife had made every Saturday.

And I discovered the wonderful thing that is a raspberry turnover. I've never seen them anywhere else to this day but they were amazing. Especially hot with nice vanilla ice cream.

EDIT. Just googled them and Tesco do them!!!

Baynes have taken over some Fords shops. Good shop - better than Greggs (IMO) and their steak bakes are the mutts.

Fords still operate but they were bought by McGhee's the massive bakers from Motherwell, think they now only operate Fords down towards the Borders!

Oh and you really can't beat a Vanilla Slice!

sick.of.romanov

Pineapple cake you used to get from Crawford the bakers, bit like a choc eclair, also used to get a posher version of a vanilla slice from mathiesons, anything with a bit of cream in it will do for me

Yes you can!

The butcher (oddly) next to my flat years ago used to sell turnovers his wife had made every Saturday.

And I discovered the wonderful thing that is a raspberry turnover. I've never seen them anywhere else to this day but they were amazing. Especially hot with nice vanilla ice cream.

EDIT. Just googled them and Tesco do them!!!

Sainsburys too. Had one today magic

Vanilla slice is my weapon of choice, but hard to find a really good one - pastry has to still have a crisp bite to it, and in many pale imitations the pastry is more like cardboard. :(

Yum Yum when I've got a hangover though...

heartgarfunkel

Gutted - I could have sworn Arctic Jambo was a daily double Cheese & Onion pastie and a YumYum man fae Oddfellows Greggs, none of that 'one of your five-a-day' healthy fruit slice PISH.

Not the man I thought you were :sob:

Fisher and Donaldson's Yum Yums

Donaldson's butcher in Earlston's mince pies

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I recommend having the cardiologist on standby if you tuck into one of those!

Gutted - I could have sworn Arctic Jambo was a daily double Cheese & Onion pastie and a YumYum man fae Oddfellows Greggs, none of that 'one of your five-a-day' healthy fruit slice PISH.

Not the man I thought you were :sob:

Yum Yums were essentially the back-up plan. Local was the one on Nicholson St. just up from Surgeon's Hall ... from there into the Ladbrokes in NIcholson's square where it would generally be :sob:

Failing that I'd nip over to Teviot Row and get one of those cheap wee pizzas on the first floor ... they were the biz ... quite the unique taste to 'em. Cost about a pound twenty. :thumbsup:

Yum Yums were essentially the back-up plan. Local was the one on Nicholson St. just up from Surgeon's Hall ... from there into the Ladbrokes in NIcholson's square where it would generally be :sob:

Failing that I'd nip over to Teviot Row and get one of those cheap wee pizzas on the first floor ... they were the biz ... quite the unique taste to 'em. Cost about a pound twenty. :thumbsup:

Those pizzas were tremendous. Had many, many of them for lunch during my time at the University.

Those pizzas were tremendous. Had many, many of them for lunch during my time at the University.

Wonder if the pizza oven still exists. Did you take in any of the All-star weekend ?

Wonder if the pizza oven still exists. Did you take in any of the All-star weekend ?

Nah. Only really fancies the game tonight or slam dunk think last night, but tickets harder to come by than a doughnut by Edinburgh City Bypass.

I've never had a sweet tooth but as a bairn used to enjoy the occasional snowball.

Bran scones were more my thing though.

I've never had a sweet tooth but as a bairn used to enjoy the occasional snowball.

Bran scones were more my thing though.

That brings back memories of the wee bakers next to the prom bar in Anfield walking to work and getting a couple of jam brans for breakfast. Dunno if anywhere down here sells them but I've never seen them for years.

Always loved a jammy donut, ended up with a face covered in sugar & a strawberry jam top. Fords in Musselburgh used to an iced jammy donut too, sophistication!

Loved yum-yums when I was wee, my method of choice was to tear the pieces off and them rather than eat it whole.

Empire biscuits (that's all I remember them being called) were nice too although Greggs never quite managed to make them quite right.

A decent chocolate eclair was a treat once in a while too.

Some quality shouts on here.

When I lived in Wales was very partial to a custard tart. Up here me Mrs used to work for Greggs so had access to the wonderful Yumyums, Tipsy Cake, Empire/German biscuits.

The giant custard creams at Costa are good.

Mentioned on the KK thread had a Bearclaw in America last year and that was the dugs baws. Never seen em over here. Love a cakey. :10900:

Up in Edinburgh in the summer last year and was walking along Newington Rd (away from the city) . It was about 1,00 am when I happened upon a ltae night bakers which has for sale the most splendid steak pie I have eaten for a very long time. I seem to recall the guy had won some awards (one for best small baker from the BBC ?).

Anybody know the name of this establishment ?

I was far too pist to remember,

Up in Edinburgh in the summer last year and was walking along Newington Rd (away from the city) . It was about 1,00 am when I happened upon a ltae night bakers which has for sale the most splendid steak pie I have eaten for a very long time. I seem to recall the guy had won some awards (one for best small baker from the BBC ?).

Anybody know the name of this establishment ?

I was far too pist to remember,

I'm sure it's called The Edinburgh Bakehouse, It used to be a Mathiesons I think.

Magic Numbers

When I used to work in Wallyford, I often had a pie from a bakers in Musselburgh, they did some right weird combos, if I remember rightly, would that have been Fords do you think? They were pretty decent pies. That would have been early 90s I reckon.

When I worked at McKay Mazda behind Murrayfield I used to frequent 2 local places - the butchers at Stenhouse(?) Cross, their bridies were amazing, REAL MINCE!!!!!!! and there was a wee paper shop heading up toward Corstorphine Road who sold pastries, he did some kind of sausagemeat & onion bridie, lovely pink sausagemeat & huge bits of fresh onion cooked into it, they were the mutts nuts, no idea which bakery he got them from.

Dessert-wise, a favourite from my childhood was a cream bathbun, heart attack on a plate but my God they were good! Carlton Bakery in Fife do a really good Fudge Doughnut (if I am allowed to mention doughnuts?)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

the best bakery in edinburgh!

http://www.sicilianp...p.com/index.htm

Anyone who has ever had a cake out of here will testify with my statement!

Used to work across the road from there for years, my usual order was 2 doughnut things that had bolognese in the centre insted of jam and a kind of cream horn that had custard instead of cream

I P Knightley

A special mention for the magnificent custard slice.

My first thought, too.

Is a 'vanilla slice' a different beast?

There used to be a bakers in Morrison Street where I'd get my lunch time rolls (tuna and egg) with a custard slice. One summer, they upgraded to include a "Mille Feuille", a custard slice with a bi of jam in the pastry as far as I could see. The wee wifie couldn't hack the French pronunciation and, ever since then I've known it to be the "Milly Filly".

True story, that.

The Mighty Thor

Used to work across the road from there for years, my usual order was 2 doughnut things that had bolognese in the centre insted of jam and a kind of cream horn that had custard instead of cream

I lived round the corner from there for a few years, the bolgnese things were fantastic, although after you banged them through the microwave to heat the filling was usually about the same temperature as molten lava.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I had one of these badboys every day when I was in Germany.

IMG_14851.jpg

Spinnach and cheese in pastry. Honestly unreal.

I used to love Mason's Steak Pies until they put them in Mince Pie shells.

Now my favourite pastry is the Pecan and Maple Danish, which maybe precludes it from here.

I had one of these badboys every day when I was in Germany.

IMG_14851.jpg

Spinnach and cheese in pastry. Honestly unreal.

EE1005_Spanakopita-1_lg.jpg

Get these in Greece. Feta and spinach. Known as Spanakopita. Tsambikos in Pefkos on Rhodes seve the best I've ever had. Love em.

Stephen's steak bridies - Dunfermline. Amazing...used to get them at the football.

They were outstanding.

The only downside was that it oozed out of everyone's pores in the away end at East End Park, meaning it stank like they had some kind of drainage issue.

Oliphants bakers in Linlithgow do some cracking cakes n pastries, my favourite is their steak and onion bridie. Bradfords in Glasgow are good too, their apple turnovers and Chelsea buns are excellent. Surprised at the number of shouts for Greggs on here, most of their stuff is crap when you compare with a decent bakers products.

Archived