Top 20 best supported clubs in Europe

CJGJ

Shows the importance of getting the ticket price to product quality correct. See Germany for details.

Also the fact they have 80 million people in their country. We have 6 million.

Shows the importance of getting the ticket price to product quality correct. See Germany for details.

Both comments are correct IMO.

The German set up is a lot light years a head of scotland who put all thier eggs in two baskets.

queensferryjambo

The German league slashed prices years ago when attendances started to slump in the 90s. They figured fill the stadium and get the same money as a 3/4 full stadium - it worked really well - not sure if prices went back up though. Some grounds also have standing sections in Germany and atmosphere is really good at games. Oh and they have a reasonably good competitive league.

The figures in this survey must be wrong though as I work with a Rangers fan and he reckons they get an average attendance of 100,000 at home games ;) - he thinks that big gates make them better than other teams - my answer is always the same - just because 10 zillion flies like the taste of shite doesn't mean I want to eat it.

kevinmackenzie14

ticket prices are 15 euros a ticket no matter what game it is, champs league,europa league, big derbys... not sure about kids ticket or concession ticket prices though.

ticket prices are 15 euros a ticket no matter what game it is, champs league,europa league, big derbys... not sure about kids ticket or concession ticket prices though.

I paid ?31.50 to see us play dundee midweek, scottish football eh?

Quite happy to give the club the money at the moment but it is a crap state of affairs.

kingantti1874

I read this over and over, and whilst a nice thought the German clubs can only do this because they get massive TV revenue to subsidise the low prices.. If Scottish clubs did this - wed have to go part time or go bust as already pathetic revenues would be more than halved..

German clubs have massive economies of scale in their favour with both the population and as a consequence the large media deal the Bundesliga has. The main difference between the EPL and the Bundesliga is that German clubs used their media deal to keep the ticket prices low, the EPL clubs handed the TV cash to players and agents instead.

The SPL has neither the population or media income to draw on in order to have lower ticket prices, meaning clubs have to charge top buck for an inferior product, with the population unlikely to grow by much, the only chance we have of lower ticket prices is if Sky or BT finally start giving the SPL clubs and decent deal for their TV rights instead of treating the league as an inconvenience in their scheduling.

Yep, 12 quid to watch Bayern will do for me! Too many glory hunters not from Glasgow love the bigots and it really isn't surprising at all that those two are up there.

Andrew Gilbert Wauchope

Both comments are correct IMO.

The German set up is a lot light years a head of scotland who put all their eggs in two b*st*rds.

Fixed that for you....

Cappuccino Kid

I read in one of the papers last week that although sevco are claiming sell outs, strathclyde police have said the actual attendances at the past 4 games have been between 8 & 10 thousand lower than claimed

Yep, 12 quid to watch Bayern will do for me! Too many glory hunters not from Glasgow love the bigots and it really isn't surprising at all that those two are up there.

Bayern tickets are actually quite expensive. Typically ?40+ for home Bundesliga games. They can do this because Munich is a very wealthy city and Bayern have more international appeal than most other German clubs.

http://tickets.telegraph.co.uk/bayern-munchen-vs-werder-bremen-tickets/allianz-arena-munich/23-february-2013/E-1008222/

If you're talking about Germany, this is not necessarily true. It will depend where you're sitting in the stadium. Last season I paid over 40 euros to see Cologne against Leverkusen and the season before that even more to see Bayern in a CL group stage match.

I do agree that Germany has, without a shadow of a doubt, got the whole thing about as right as it is possible to achieve.

German clubs have massive economies of scale in their favour with both the population and as a consequence the large media deal the Bundesliga has. The main difference between the EPL and the Bundesliga is that German clubs used their media deal to keep the ticket prices low, the EPL clubs handed the TV cash to players and agents instead.

The SPL has neither the population or media income to draw on in order to have lower ticket prices, meaning clubs have to charge top buck for an inferior product, with the population unlikely to grow by much, the only chance we have of lower ticket prices is if Sky or BT finally start giving the SPL clubs and decent deal for their TV rights instead of treating the league as an inconvenience in their scheduling.

Thanks, you just did my job for me. So many people just turn around and say look at the prices, without looking at how and what else they do in germany. `Yes some standing seats are really cheap for members, but even lower down the division, about 15-20? a ticket, are you say ?5 is the difference between u going to a game or not? nonsense, its the cost of everything else that all adds up, for example many cities in germany transport to the game is free with a match ticket. Beers are sold inside & outside the stadium at decent prices, sometimes like in berlin 1? a pint!

The biggest difference between both countries is how the fans view the club, in Germany it is "their" club, thru physical ownership & emotional bond with the club, where as here it is "his/they" club attitude from us!

By the way, last weekend's attendance in the Bundesliga 2 derby between Hertha and Union Berlin at the Olympic Stadium: 74,244.

Raging that I'm not going to Berlin until next week and there's no football on while I'm there.

Bayern tickets are actually quite expensive. Typically ?40+ for home Bundesliga games. They can do this because Munich is a very wealthy city and Bayern have more international appeal than most other German clubs.

http://tickets.teleg...2013/E-1008222/

Sorry, should've said when they're away, but no matter, the product is till better than anything, any other European country (excepting Spain) have to offer :)

By the way, last weekend's attendance in the Bundesliga 2 derby between Hertha and Union Berlin at the Olympic Stadium: 74,244.

Raging that I'm not going to Berlin until next week and there's no football on while I'm there.

you could go to FC Energie Cottbus v SSV Jahn Regensburg, its on sunday at 1.30. Cottbus is only about 40 mins on the train from Berlin, nice wee stadium at cottbus

you could go to FC Energie Cottbus v SSV Jahn Regensburg, its on sunday at 1.30. Cottbus is only about 40 mins on the train from Berlin, nice wee stadium at cottbus

Cheers buddy, but I'm coming back on Sunday. I'll just have to devote myself to other cultural pursuits, such as sampling as much local beer as my ageing frame will take.

Anyone remember the name of that sports bar people were talking about on a previous Berlin thread that shows masses of football?

Winning most weeks because you're playing SPL players against part timers, novelty of new opposition, cheap tickets (in comparison to what you're used to paying). Nah, I'll not be patting them on the back and congratulating them for getting good numbers.

Cheers buddy, but I'm coming back on Sunday. I'll just have to devote myself to other cultural pursuits, such as sampling as much local beer as my ageing frame will take.

Anyone remember the name of that sports bar people were talking about on a previous Berlin thread that shows masses of football?

this place http://www.fcmagnetbar.de/news

Winning most weeks because you're playing SPL players against part timers, novelty of new opposition, free tickets. Nah, I'll not be patting them on the back and congratulating them for getting good numbers.

Fixed that for you.

Thanks, you just did my job for me. So many people just turn around and say look at the prices, without looking at how and what else they do in germany. `Yes some standing seats are really cheap for members, but even lower down the division, about 15-20? a ticket, are you say ?5 is the difference between u going to a game or not? nonsense, its the cost of everything else that all adds up, for example many cities in germany transport to the game is free with a match ticket. Beers are sold inside & outside the stadium at decent prices, sometimes like in berlin 1? a pint!

The biggest difference between both countries is how the fans view the club, in Germany it is "their" club, thru physical ownership & emotional bond with the club, where as here it is "his/they" club attitude from us!

I heard someone this week on the radio say that in Germany lots of the clubs are sporting clubs rather than just football clubs. So they have e.g tennis facilities, hockey pitches, gyms etc that local people are members off. So although the match attendance is say 40,000, the actual club membership can be several hundred thousand.

i.e they make far more income from non-football supporting members than match day sales as the club is seen as part of the community, not a faceless corporate organisation.

Rangers fans go on about having the highest attendance in Div 3, ******* great, that's like being kept back a year at school and saying your the tallest in your class.

They need to get a grip!!!!

I heard someone this week on the radio say that in Germany lots of the clubs are sporting clubs rather than just football clubs. So they have e.g tennis facilities, hockey pitches, gyms etc that local people are members off. So although the match attendance is say 40,000, the actual club membership can be several hundred thousand.

i.e they make far more income from non-football supporting members than match day sales as the club is seen as part of the community, not a faceless corporate organisation.

This is true. It's the same in many other European countries. Even a club like Bayern Munich which emphasises the "FC" in its official title (as opposed to clubs like Dortmund and Hamburg whose names make it clear that football is only part of their origins and activities) promotes and finances other sports. For example, it has a basketball section which runs 25 teams.

Nothing at all from Ligue 1. No PSG, no Lyon, no Marseille. Not a single team from a country with roughly the same population as the UK. Is it a historical thing or is it simply because the French league is, frankly, as dull as ditchwater?

Nothing at all from Ligue 1. No PSG, no Lyon, no Marseille. Not a single team from a country with roughly the same population as the UK. Is it a historical thing or is it simply because the French league is, frankly, as dull as ditchwater?

It's both I'd say. But then, of all football's major countries, France are the only one without a genuine nationwide passion for the sport. Bizarre, given they invented the World Cup, European Championship and the European Cup!

But much as parts of France (but only parts) prefer rugby, there's something about the French which means they're generally far happier sneering at professional sport than getting truly into it. It's comical how quickly they'll turn on their own players at Roland Garros, or their own rugby team at the Stade de France... and only one country could ever have invented a publication as magnificent as L'Equipe. Whose so-sharp-it'll-cut-itself take on things is an absolute joy. :thumbsup:

Archived