Iron Man

ArmiyaRomanova

ArmiyaRomanova

Some bloke trussed up in tin pyjamas, I thought.

And I didn't go for the Marvel comic either.

But the film's a real action blast. A few laugh-out-loud moments too.

Maybe not the smartest plot in the world, but it does the job and doesn't flag.

Decent performances from Robert Downey Jr., Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow too.

But the real standouts are production design, costuming and CGI.

State-of-the-art stuff, a constant visual feast.

Worth seeing for those elements alone.

Looks good. Films like this are not usually my cup of tea but I was pleasantly surprised with Transformers and this looks like it is along the same lines.

ArmiyaRomanova
Looks good. Films like this are not usually my cup of tea but I was pleasantly surprised with Transformers and this looks like it is along the same lines.

I didn't see Transformers, but from what I heard Iron Man is certainly a more involving and 'human' story, with a strong thematic core.

Some bloke trussed up in tin pyjamas, I thought.

And I didn't go for the Marvel comic either.

But the film's a real action blast. A few laugh-out-loud moments too.

Maybe not the smartest plot in the world, but it does the job and doesn't flag.

Decent performances from Robert Downey Jr., Jeff Bridges and Gwyneth Paltrow too.

But the real standouts are production design, costuming and CGI.

State-of-the-art stuff, a constant visual feast.

Worth seeing for those elements alone.

Maybe I should just read up on the film, but is it got anything to do with the book by the same name? I remember having to read it at school, and for some reason it was more memorable than most.

ArmiyaRomanova
Maybe I should just read up on the film, but is it got anything to do with the book by the same name? I remember having to read it at school, and for some reason it was more memorable than most.

Nope, it's this...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Man

ironman.jpg

Read an interesting interview with Robert Downie Jr in the american GQ this month.

Iron Man (or rather his alter ego) had a story line in the late 70's where he became an alcoholic and battled his addiction. a nice bit of casting.

Dean Winchester
Read an interesting interview with Robert Downie Jr in the american GQ this month.

Iron Man (or rather his alter ego) had a story line in the late 70's where he became an alcoholic and battled his addiction. a nice bit of casting.

Starks (Iron Man) was an alcoholic in the comic book and he built the suit to escape from a band of terrorists who where forcing him to make weapons for them. He secretly built the suit in their workshop to keep his heart beating (regulates his heart and controls piece of shrapnel which threatens to kill him should the suit's chestplate be removed).

I think the movie follows the same kind of storyline from what I've seen of the trailer.

Generic Username

Iron Man does look the business from what I've seen and from what I've read it's the beginning of the comic book cross over.

In Empire last month the director was talking about Stark featuring in the new Hulk movie that's also out in the summer but only a quick cameo. I wonder which film will be the first proper cross over comic book epic.

They all live in the same city most of the time, how come they never bump into each other?!?!

Ivan Drago
Starks (Iron Man) was an alcoholic in the comic book and he built the suit to escape from a band of terrorists who where forcing him to make weapons for them. He secretly built the suit in their workshop to keep his heart beating (regulates his heart and controls piece of shrapnel which threatens to kill him should the suit's chestplate be removed).

I think the movie follows the same kind of storyline from what I've seen of the trailer.

I dont know if they mention it in this one, but apparently the subject of alcoholism will be dealt with in the next film.

Dean Winchester
Iron Man does look the business from what I've seen and from what I've read it's the beginning of the comic book cross over.

In Empire last month the director was talking about Stark featuring in the new Hulk movie that's also out in the summer but only a quick cameo. I wonder which film will be the first proper cross over comic book epic.

They all live in the same city most of the time, how come they never bump into each other?!?!

I think Justice League is rolling along for but their not using the likes of Brandon Routh/Christian Bale to play Superman/Batman etc.

Ivan Drago
I think Justice League is rolling along for but their not using the likes of Brandon Routh/Christian Bale to play Superman/Batman etc.

yeah they are planning on making one but its proving to be a struggle i think.

there are plans to make an 'Avengers' film (based on the Marvel comic, not the dodgy show), not sure who's actually in that but its basically marvels equivalent of Justice League. however the problem with that is that marvel are taking a more hands on role with there films now (i think iron man was part produced by marvel), and in the interests of continuity they want all the same actors (e.g. if iron man is in it they want Robert Downey Jr)

Bert Le Clos
I didn't see Transformers, but from what I heard Iron Man is certainly a more involving and 'human' story, with a strong thematic core.

That's because the main character is a 'human' and not a machine ;)

Dean Winchester
there are plans to make an 'Avengers' film (based on the Marvel comic, not the dodgy show), not sure who's actually in that but its basically marvels equivalent of Justice League. however the problem with that is that marvel are taking a more hands on role with there films now (i think iron man was part produced by marvel), and in the interests of continuity they want all the same actors (e.g. if iron man is in it they want Robert Downey Jr)

The only problem with that is casting wages... Robert Downey Jr, Tobey Maguire, Edward Norton, Hugh Jackman, Who-ever plays ant-man in that movie etc.

Ivan Drago
The only problem with that is casting wages... Robert Downey Jr, Tobey Maguire, Edward Norton, Hugh Jackman, Who-ever plays ant-man in that movie etc.

yeah exactly so theres big doubts if its going to go ahead. I think Marvel feel that it would take away a lot if the proper actors werent used, and it would lose a lot of the epic and massive feel to it, which would basically be the whole point in the film.

Archived