discipline and attitudes in classrooms

Gorgiewave

I know there a few teachers on kickback. What are your experiences of discipline in class? Do the children show interest in learning? What do you do to keep order?

Take one of them up the front of the class and batter them first day. Set the tone.

I bet you didn't realise just how truthful that could be. Because of birth date I was registered for school at 41/2. This was done at St Peters Church Hall, Lutton Place it was being used as an annex to Preston Street School. There was a line up of the kids with their mothers, at some point I was pressed against the hot heating pipes running around the room, I let out a yell, and this disturbed greatly the supervising teacher. She came over grabbed me, shook me, and actually slapped me on the head. I was shocked , in pain from a burn, and quite honestly never did forgot that, as can clearly be seen from this post. I hated school, and the happiest day in my life was when I walked out of Boroughmuir in April 1949, never to go back anywhere close to it.

Prior to what we called the Qualifying Exam again at Preston Street School, we had a set of tests before the actual exam. One math question seemed to have the whole class stumped. The headmaster Mr Moffat came to our classroom, reviewed the tests and particularly that one question. He explained it and explained it, then asked me a question on it, I couldn't answer and was called to the front of the class. He again proceeded to explain the formula, this time to dramatically make his point he banged my head against the blackboard, and he had a few points to make, again has stuck with me through a long life. To say I hated school and most teachers would be an understatement.

The Qualifying Exam was a whole new experience, multiple choice, having an excellent memory I waltzed through it. This led to almost investigations to see if I cheated, and my mother being called to the school so that the complete amazement of the teaching staff could be expressed to her.

Nice to see educators being asked for their views.

I used to work at scotland street school museum which, alongside being a beautiful mackintosh building, is the museum for the history of education in the west of scotland. On an almost daily basis i'd get folk in their 50s speaking to me about the good old days. They'd tell me that bringing back the belt would solve loads of problems and that kids today in school run riot and there's drugs and violence everywhere. I'd always ask them if they were involved in the education system or if they were even, say, dinnerladies

"nope. not been near a school for decades."

Apart from th stuff mentioned...

Learners will show an interest in learning if the learning is interesting. That can be hard at times with certain topics, but engaging the kids limits their tendency to misbehave.

I've been working on a quiet disappointed approach to telling off, getting the kids to say what they've done wrong and why it was wrong. (Also means that when you do shout they shite themselves! :P )

I know there a few teachers on kickback. What are your experiences of discipline in class? Do the children show interest in learning? What do you do to keep order?

How are you finding it in Spain regarding the above?

Some great points already made.

Would add:

1. Don't shout at them! It only really works as a deterrent for the nice pupils and they very rarely misbehave. The ones who misbehave often don't respond to shouting because a lot of them have difficult home lives where they are constantly shouted at so are immune to it. A quiet word in private can be much more effective than shouting at someone in front of the class.

2. Use humour. It diffuses situations and allows you to keep control and discipline pupils without getting angry.

3. The carrot is far superior than the stick (at primary level anyway) I teach p7s usually so they are 11/12 year olds and they aren't all that fussed aboug the things younger pupils are so I use table points system where the top table gets to choose a playlist for the class to listen to during a lesson the following week. It really works to motivate them to behave and use positive peer pressure in reminding each other to bring homework etc.

Teachers are dicks

I'd like you to remember the rules of this board which you agreed to, Morph. You broke one of those rules when you made that inappropriate comment, didn't you? I don't think you are a badly behaved boy, Morph, but you have made a bad choice and that bad choice has a consequence attached to it; a 1 week suspension from posting. Now I want to see you make better choices in the future, as I know you are capable of that, because if you continue to make bad choices the next step is for you to attend Mr Wiseau's lunchtime catch up class to discuss this further. Do you understand those consequences, Morph?

Lots of terrible advice on this thread tbh. Sarcasm, humiliation and shouting - it's the only language these animals understand. B)

PS. Genuinely nothing works better than getting to know the pupils properly so they know you give a shit about them as an individual, having interesting lessons and setting high expectations. Everything else is pretty much window dressing in comparison imo. Always remember one of the best pieces of advice I got from my old Moddies teacher was "they have to respect you for something, whatever that is doesn't matter. It can be your passion, your subject knowledge, your personality or even fear, but if they don't respect you you are fighting a losing battle". Definitely true. Even nightmare classes can be won round if you can gain their respect.

I'm in a brilliant school with generally well behaved kids - in that kind of place (or any kind of place) it's important not to over-praise or over-reward. If they see they get rewarded or gushed at for doing basics, it comes across as something exceptional, not an expected standard. That is one thing I have learned the hard way in my experience.

Malinga the Swinga

For some reason, can't really say I have ever appreciated teachers, that is teachers after I left school and became a parent. Find the majority of ones I deal with to be condescending, and get the feeling they are liberal wishy washy pen pushers, more interested in passing on what they consider to be the main social interests instead of educators.

Honestly think teachers I had would run rings round what passes for teachers these days, although there are exceptions.

Guest C00l K1d

I'd like you to remember the rules of this board which you agreed to, Morph. You broke one of those rules when you made that inappropriate comment, didn't you? I don't think you are a badly behaved boy, Morph, but you have made a bad choice and that bad choice has a consequence attached to it; a 1 week suspension from posting. Now I want to see you make better choices in the future, as I know you are capable of that, because if you continue to make bad choices the next step is for you to attend Mr Wiseau's lunchtime catch up class to discuss this further. Do you understand those consequences, Morph?

Lots of terrible advice on this thread tbh. Sarcasm, humiliation and shouting - it's the only language these animals understand. B)

PS. Genuinely nothing works better than getting to know the pupils properly so they know you give a shit about them as an individual, having interesting lessons and setting high expectations. Everything else is pretty much window dressing in comparison imo. Always remember one of the best pieces of advice I got from my old Moddies teacher was "they have to respect you for something, whatever that is doesn't matter. It can be your passion, your subject knowledge, your personality or even fear, but if they don't respect you you are fighting a losing battle". Definitely true. Even nightmare classes can be won round if you can gain their respect.

I'm in a brilliant school with generally well behaved kids - in that kind of place (or any kind of place) it's important not to over-praise or over-reward. If they see they get rewarded or gushed at for doing basics, it comes across as something exceptional, not an expected standard. That is one thing I have learned the hard way in my experience.

:laugh: :laugh:

Tbf most of my teachers were quick to dish out the old ''you're never gonna pass this class'' type pish. I'm no sure if it was scare tactics at the time to try get you to buckle down or what or they genuinely believed it but it made me take an instant dislike to them.

There were a few decent teachers though (one of them turned out to be a fecking paedo but :what:) I'd like to think you were one of the good guy teachers Tommy. (not the good guy paedo ones but.)

There were a few decent teachers though (one of them turned out to be a fecking paedo but :what:) I

Didnt go to gillespie's did you? Not that we had a monopoly on kiddy fiddlers.

Guest C00l K1d

Didnt go to gillespie's did you? Not that we had a monopoly on kiddy fiddlers.

Nah broughton. He wasn't actually a teacher, he was one of these uni lads who get put on placement but iirc we had him for at least a year and a half.

Some may know him on here, he was the coach at tynie boys club who was involved in that scandal.

He was a really good guy aswell. Don't really want to go into it though as this isn't the thread for it and it'll just get locked :laugh:

How are you finding it in Spain regarding the above?

School discipline is generally held to be one of the main problems in schools. I have been working in a school, a grant-maintained (i.e., mostly public-funded but independently-run) Catholic school, teaching primary 2, primary 6 and first year, doing extracurricular English classes. I also give private classes to five children, two sets of siblings.

In the school, discipline is generally lacking. I may have call their attention several times to start the class. I try not to shout unless speaking firmly repeatedly fails. In a 50-minute period, I estimate I spend a minimum of 25 minutes controlling the class, between telling people to be quiet, to sit down, taking things off people (football stickers, rulers they're hitting their neighbour with, etc.). It is rare for me to address the whole class without somebody shouting a comment or speaking to their neighbour.

The worst thing about it is that, from what the school staff have transmitted to me, is that the basic objective of the class is for the children to have a good time. I don't want it to be solemn, but there has to be a minimum willingness to co-operate and a basic openness to learning. In the older years, this is more or less absent. The first year class is terrible, with two girls in particular who, I've discovered speaking to their other teachers, been spoilt rotten all their lives, openly defy their parents and are not challenged for doing so. I think the attitude they come to school with is, "why should I do what the teachers say, even my mum questions them?".

The best-behaved boy I have is seven years old, always does his work without complaining, comes to my desk to have his worked marked as soon as he finishes, asks for more work and keeps away from those who might distract him. He isn't the brightest and I know he struggles with some of the work, but his attitude is first class. He is the only pupil I have who is not Spanish (or at least he has the skin pigmentation of somebody from Bolivia or Peru). I wonder if that has something to do with his attitude, either good behaviour is commoner there or as an immigrant or person of a different ethnic group he feels greater pressure to try his best.

Part of my problem is that because I'm not a permanent member of staff, I don't really have any power to punish and not much support from the staff in general.

That is an absolutely magnificent paragraph, Sir. :thumbsup:

I guess my main principles in teaching are empathy, humour, keeping things interesting and unpredictable... and boundaries. Knowing where the line is, and letting any of them know if they're in danger of crossing it - but with a smile on my face, and almost always in a way that makes them laugh.

I guess (I don't know - it's for the students to assess) I win their respect - which, I agree, is crucial to absolutely everything - through a combination of being caring and gentle (I have that aura about me: the same aura has always resulted in tons of people coming up to me and asking me for directions), and through at least appearing to know an awful lot of stuff. In my first few months here, student after student told me they couldn't believe how I knew so much about Uruguay, and couldn't understand how I did; and they also plainly appreciated the way I steered well clear of boring textbooks.

It's quite a difficult balancing act I try and strike: there's always a danger of me being that little bit too soft. But I never, ever get angry; I just project my voice in a different way. And the only real problem with discipline I've had was in the UK: with a completely notorious group of late teens/early twenty-somethings, all from the sub-continent, who'd reduced previous teachers to tears and left them running out of the classroom to report them. No-one had a clue how to handle them: they were completely out of control.

But the real problem, which I'd already established, was that their treatment by this college and by the UK authorities was an absolute disgusting disgrace. So in my first lesson with them, when they tried it on with me, I started laughing. This shocked them so much they almost immediately shut up; and pretty quickly, grasped that I was the only one there who cared about them in any way. By the end of the year, they were all pleading with me to teach them on their next course elsewhere, inviting me to their last dinner before Ramadan began, and demanding that I come visit them in India or Bangladesh in the future. Which was all pretty gratifying. :)

Konrad von Carstein

You know what? For all your posturing and sometimes w*nky posts and put downs on here, some of the above (not the Morph stuff, which was funny :D) shows that you are probably a decent bloke wanting to be as good a he can be at what he does (evidenced by some other posts you have made about your job elsewhere on here)....good on you.

*just re-read that I sound like a w*nky sycophant KMN :(

I have a few classes with ...lets call them....."characters". Fortunately in my short teaching career I've always seemed to have been given classes with "disruptive" pupils and if anything its just giving me the experience and the confidence to teach these classes. I reckon one of my strongest skills is getting good and productive working relationships. I try to use a lot of humour in my lessons and its worked for me so far. Its already been mentioned but for me if you take a genuine interest in your pupils it pays dividends. In my previous role I had a lad who I would see standing outside other teachers classrooms all the time.....so I was quite proud I never sent him out of mine once. He had a few hobbies he was really into and even simply asking him about it as he came into the classroom or as he left just worked. Once I had him on side it meant that whenever he started sailing close to the wind it only took a few words or a "Come on mate...lets get the work done". We had some moments where a quiet chat was required but that was it. Once you ignored other teachers prejudices he was a nice lad and quite a funny bu99er.

I think the other thing that I find helps is knowing when to let things go or ignore stuff. When doing my teacher training one of our lecturers spoke at great deal about this and this helped me a lot. Other teachers on here will know what I mean when you sometimes have a pupil who is trying really hard to be distracting in a very subtle way.....tapping pencils, humming, whistling quietly etc. They want the attention or to get a reaction and when you ignore it and they don't get what they want they just stop.

A good short sharp shout does work when its appropriate. Sometimes they need to get a fright and they need to see that there's some stuff that can't be tolerated....like bullying. Having been bullied myself at school for about a year I've always been very quick to stamp it out and my classes know if they poke fun in a nasty hurtful way in my room I'll tear a strip off them. My bully made my life hell for a whole year before i told someone and it started off pretty tame but then gathered pace quickly and I was getting a right doing about 2-3 times a month. F__ker once clocked me with a brick from the top of a valley in the woods as I was cutting through the bottom it.....(To be fair his aim was pretty spectacular)

I honestly don't know how I would be teaching in say a private school or one where discipline was not an issue cos I've never been in a school like that. That said I don't think I'd change it if offered. Best job I've ever had.......now......what to do with my week off............

Konrad von Carstein

You take that back Willis. I am not a decent bloke and my posts are always w*nky :dry:

I take it all back...you are a f*d and Millar Jambo was a superior poster to you in every way (if you could understand Frontier Gibberish) :)

In my class the troublemakers used to get taken out of class on Thursday afternoons to go powerboating and the like. :seething:

That is an absolutely magnificent paragraph, Sir. :thumbsup:

I guess my main principles in teaching are empathy, humour, keeping things interesting and unpredictable... and boundaries. Knowing where the line is, and letting any of them know if they're in danger of crossing it - but with a smile on my face, and almost always in a way that makes them laugh.

I guess (I don't know - it's for the students to assess) I win their respect - which, I agree, is crucial to absolutely everything - through a combination of being caring and gentle (I have that aura about me: the same aura has always resulted in tons of people coming up to me and asking me for directions), and through at least appearing to know an awful lot of stuff. In my first few months here, student after student told me they couldn't believe how I knew so much about Uruguay, and couldn't understand how I did; and they also plainly appreciated the way I steered well clear of boring textbooks.

It's quite a difficult balancing act I try and strike: there's always a danger of me being that little bit too soft. But I never, ever get angry; I just project my voice in a different way. And the only real problem with discipline I've had was in the UK: with a completely notorious group of late teens/early twenty-somethings, all from the sub-continent, who'd reduced previous teachers to tears and left them running out of the classroom to report them. No-one had a clue how to handle them: they were completely out of control.

But the real problem, which I'd already established, was that their treatment by this college and by the UK authorities was an absolute disgusting disgrace. So in my first lesson with them, when they tried it on with me, I started laughing. This shocked them so much they almost immediately shut up; and pretty quickly, grasped that I was the only one there who cared about them in any way. By the end of the year, they were all pleading with me to teach them on their next course elsewhere, inviting me to their last dinner before Ramadan began, and demanding that I come visit them in India or Bangladesh in the future. Which was all pretty gratifying. :)

306%20-%20animated_gif%20house.gif

Bad discipline is nothing new or an urban problem. My mother went to primary school in rural Argyll in the 30s. She said she had one quite timid female teacher who was run ragged by the boys in the class, really nasty stuff. The teacher was reduced to tears a number of times and the headmaster would often come in to pull out the troublemakers. She even had her car (a prized possession in those days) vandalised.

As I say - these were primary school pupils, in Kinlochleven, in the 30s.

This is all good advice, but can any of the teachers who have posted suggest the best way to deal with their colleagues who are totally Billy Bonkers and cause mayhem wherever they go??

Short of starting LNCT11, which takes forever and a day, I end up having to sit tight and wait on them royally fecking something up.

:(

Guest C00l K1d

Ken what else i hated about my teachers, the whole pressure about going to uni. With my teachers there were no other options in their minds apart from uni.

There's a lot of people i know from school going to uni now just for the sake of it. I reckon the teachers had a large part to play in that.

There's no point in going if you really have no desire to imo.

Take my hat off to teachers, particularly high school teachers, as I can only imagine how difficult it would be to try and guide, motivate, encourage and teach a room full of people.

I say "particularly high school" because of the added extra difficulty of working with teenagers with their mood swings etc.

Ken what else i hated about my teachers, the whole pressure about going to uni. With my teachers there were no other options in their minds apart from uni.

There's a lot of people i know from school going to uni now just for the sake of it. I reckon the teachers had a large part to play in that.

There's no point in going if you really have no desire to imo.

Can see where you are coming from mate.

There was a huge amount of pressure put on us to go to uni and it was made to seem like the only option.

I endsd up with a degree in a subject I had or have no real interest in.

Guest C00l K1d

Can see where you are coming from mate.

There was a huge amount of pressure put on us to go to uni and it was made to seem like the only option.

I endsd up with a degree in a subject I had or have no real interest in.

I really do feel there should be a different way that advising students futures should be treated.

Even when i had set out to do what i wanted to do they were still saying i wouldnt get anywhere without a university degree :laugh:

If i had went to uni instead of following what i wanted to do, I wouldn't be getting paid to do something i love.

Stuart McNeill

I love the topics and discussions that appear in The Shed!

I was always the one encouraged by family to try my hardest in school and I always wanted to. However my biggest downfall was the fact that I am easily distracted and love to talk! (Still gets me into trouble nowadays)

I want to go back to college but the thought of sitting there at 8 o'clock in the morning being treated like I'm ten sitting in a dull, cold, boring classroom, reading out a textbook! Kills me!

The problem I noticed in school was the fact that teachers all have different teaching styles and if one didn't suit me, I found that class shit and I didn't really like to be there whereas P.E or something similar was amazing, no matter how bad I was at it!

A question I often think is. How did you guys think to become a teacher and have the confidence in remembering everything?

Tiberius Stinkfinger

If I thought for one second that my children where being taught by any of the "alleged" welts teachers that have already posted on this thread, I would be removing them from that "said" school with immediate effect.

Real serious deviants IMO.

If I thought for one second that my children where being taught by any of the "alleged" welts teachers that have already posted on this thread, I would be removing them from that "said" school with immediate effect.

What's the problem?

were

::troll:::'>

A question I often think is. How did you guys think to become a teacher and have the confidence in remembering everything?

Not sure what you mean by remembering everything mate.

Stuart McNeill

Not sure what you mean by remembering everything mate.

I mean, you've studied for 3-4 years but how are you able to remember everything you have learnt in that specific subject to teach your class?

Stuart McNeill

Apart from holidays, it's amazing what work teachers put into there job. (Behind the scenes)!

My biggest fear and probably most stupid, is that I feel like I would forget everything I've learnt in any job I will do!

Also, another thing I hated about school was when a teacher was annoyed at a previous class and then would still be annoyed and take it out on your class!

Apart from holidays, it's amazing what work teachers put into there job. (Behind the scenes)!

My biggest fear and probably most stupid, is that I feel like I would forget everything I've learnt in any job I will do!

Also, another thing I hated about school was when a teacher was annoyed at a previous class and then would still be annoyed and take it out on your class!

I don't think a teacher would have retained everything. On the other hand, there are some things that might be explained very often and therefore would be easy to remember.

I mean, you've studied for 3-4 years but how are you able to remember everything you have learnt in that specific subject to teach your class?

As someone else said you don't have to remember every single thing about your subject all the time. Most lessons involve a lot of preparation and recapping on what you want to teach and more importantly what the best method of teaching it to the pupils is.

Also, the concept of education is very different from in the past. It used to be that pupils were looked at as empty vessels that needed to be filled with facts. Like in Hard Times by Dickens.

Modern education is about skills. If a pupil asks me a question I don't know the answer to then it's best to be honest and say "I'm not sure but I know how we can find out" (dictionary, encyclopedia, reference book, internet etc.)

The job of a primary school is to transform needy, dependent primary 1 pupils into independent, confident primary 7s ready for high school. Whether they learn off by heart the capital of Finland along the way is of less importance imo.

Budgie, do you think secondary should be similar: don't worry about knowledge, but teach skills for university or the workplace?

Their walk had brought them into broad Chambers Street. The group had changed its order, and was now walking three abreast, with Miss Brodie in front between Sandy and Rose. ?I am summoned to see the headmistress at morning break on Monday,? said Miss Brodie. ?I have no doubt Miss Mackay wishes to question my methods of instruction. It has happened before. It will happen again. Meanwhile, I follow my principles of education and give of my best in my prime. The word ?education? comes from the root
e
from
ex
, out, and
duco,
I lead. It means a leading out. To me education is a leading out of what is already there in the pupil?s soul. To Miss Mackay it is a putting in of something that is not there, and that is not what I call education, I call it intrusion, from the Latin root prefix
in
, meaning in and the stem
trudo
, I thrust. Miss Mackay?s is to thrust a lot of information into the pupil?s head; mine is a leading out of knowledge, and that is true education as is proved by the root meaning. Now Miss Mackay has accused me of putting ideas into my girls? heads, but in fact that is
her
practice and mine is quite the opposite. Never let it be said that I put ideas into your head. What is the meaning of education, Sandy??

?To lead out,? said Sandy?

From The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie, by Muriel Spark

Budgie, do you think secondary should be similar: don't worry about knowledge, but teach skills for university or the workplace?

Yeah, totally.

Skills for learning, skills for work and skills for life. :thumbsup:

And, Budgie, how are skills learnt without practicing on knowledge? And wouldn't acquiring knowledge - not isolated facts like a capital city but understanding - be a big part of building confidence?

And, Budgie, how are skills learnt without practicing on knowledge? And wouldn't acquiring knowledge - not isolated facts like a capital city but understanding - be a big part of building confidence?

Yeah, knowledge is important but it's at the bottom of Bloom's Taxonomy for good reason.

fx_Bloom_New.jpg

Yeah, knowledge is important but it's at the bottom of Bloom's Taxonomy for good reason.

What is the good reason? Because it's the foundation of everything else?

What is the good reason? Because it's the foundation of everything else?

In a sense, yes. But also because it is the easiest skill and requires less higher order thinking than the others.

An example would be with reading. Lower down the school children are taught the mechanics of reading before being taught the various skills. The first of these skills are simple recall: What colour is Biff's hat? Where did Kipper put the ball? (REMEMBER) before moving onto questions like: Why is Biff wearing a hat? (UNDERSTAND). Further up the school they move onto higher order thinking at the top end of the taxonomy where they have to compare and contrast, create, invent, analyse and evaluate what they have read.

Remembering is important and unfortunatly some of our exam systems still require learning by rote and pupils cramming but in terms of becoming successful in life, the other skills are much more important imo.

Archived