The real reason hearts lost 7-0 to hubs

bathgatejt

Colonel Kurtz

This is where the conspiracy gets deep one of the players went on to be hubs assistant manager few yrs later

The venue I heard was not the Pivot but a Hotel in Palmerston Place frequented by teuchters and run by one who missed a sitter that day.THis place was famous for lock ins

Auldreekie1874

It is not as unprofessional as it sounds. The Hearts players were told by a Hibs player that the game was off due to bad weather. Imagine their shock when the game was pronounced on.

So H1b5 cheated their way to there greatest ever result.

Who'd have thought it? I'm shocked :23:

Dont care. Old history and non important game.

Congratulations on starting a hobo type thread reminding of 40 years ago, only thing they have left on this forum. :facepalm:

Wonder if we can get a cup final thread going on sookmasisterspaps.net

i already tried that and they had the cheek to ban me they dont like talking about that famous day. :10900:

Did they go on to there from Alan Anderson's pub, The Pivot in Infirmary Street? That was the location I heard rumoured.

A mate from work was good mates with Eric Curruthers back in the day and he confirmed Curruthers was at a party with him on Hogmany , in Curruthers defence he was not in the squad to play ( only 12 in a squad in 1973 ) but Andy Lynch failed a fitness test and Eric was told he was playing , on seeing the state he was in Alan Anderson had him pinned against the dressing room wall .

It is not as unprofessional as it sounds. The Hearts players were told by a Hibs player that the game was off due to bad weather. Imagine their shock when the game was pronounced on.

So they cheated to win. Their biggest win was only down to a blatant lie. What a shower of losers they are.

Psychedelicropcircle

Those silver tongued hobos eh!

Francis Albert

For people who where ALIVE,tell me about this day,did it hurt more than Hibs fans last may? :verysmug:

Good question. I was a alive, there, and (as many of us did - I don't remember a mass Hibbie-style exit)) stayed to the end. It was bad - I remember saying to my dad that it was the worst I'd seen, hoping he would from his greater experience console me with some greater horror but he could only say "it's the worst I've seen". Can't really put myself in a Hibs fan's mind (thank god) but losing 5-1 to us in the final of a trophy not won for 110 years must have hurt more.

In fact, with benefit of more experience and some slight healing of the scars, , I think losing to Killie in '65 and to Dundee in '86 were worst experiences, so I think the big game will in the long run certainly cause much greater pain and long lasting pain than 1st January 1973

maroon hills remembered

As it's you that's telling the story Davy I wouldn't doubt it's veracity. However you would have to be pretty gullible or thick to accept it as true without checking. Even in those times.

Francis Albert

Sounds like we were lucky it was only seven! Was it not 5-0 at half time? Not that it matters any more...

Tha't's not how I recall it. John Fairgrieve's comment that it was four breakaway goals and three blatant offsides was obviously a joke but contained a tiny grain of truth. They seemed to score with every attack. We actually started the game better and had a couple of decent chances in the first ten minutes, and again after half time we briefly threatened to have a go at least at making the score respectable. Still, no denying the utter humiliation.

Having said that I think we were more outplayed by a team playing better football in the 6-2 game.

And we outplayed them just about as much in the next derby after the 7-0 game , when we could well have scored 7.

Seymour M Hersh

For people who where ALIVE,tell me about this day,did it hurt more than Hibs fans last may? :verysmug:

Hurt for a bit but 4-1 in the next game erased it tbh. They bang on about it but that's cause it's all they've got. May 19th killed them dead.

Can't be true, they're totally against cheating and that sort of thing ;)

I didn't have to witness this, I wasn't even born yet (like most of the hibbies who blether endlessly about it) and I have to honestly say that these days it just makes me smile when it's mentioned.

It's the best they had and now it's gone. Ouch.

i already tried that and they had the cheek to ban me they dont like talking about that famous day. :10900:

Banned from hobo.net for

Fighting?................No.

Being abusive?......No

Mentioning the 19th of may?......Could be!

:verysmug:

Phanrific!

A mate from work was good mates with Eric Curruthers back in the day and he confirmed Curruthers was at a party with him on Hogmany , in Curruthers defence he was not in the squad to play ( only 12 in a squad in 1973 ) but Andy Lynch failed a fitness test and Eric was told he was playing , on seeing the state he was in Alan Anderson had him pinned against the dressing room wall .

Andy Lynch played that day came on as a sub for Carruthers. IIRC Andy was the victim of a terrible tackle from Brownlee early in the second half when Hibs were already 6-0 up.Absolutely no need for it but Brownlee got his comeuppance very next match v East Fife broken leg from a simmilar bad challenge.

Yes it did hurt bad that day but at least in those days you could blur the pain with your NY bottle at the match we just got drunk to forget.

But we have made up for that game 100 times over and 19/05/12 wiped it out for ever.

Cant beleive Hibs fans still try to cast up something that happened before most of them were born when memories of last May are still so fresh.

like others have said i'm just sorry we did'nt score eight ,we could/should have.

Andy Lynch played that day came on as a sub for Carruthers. IIRC Andy was the victim of a terrible tackle from Brownlee early in the second half when Hibs were already 6-0 up.Absolutely no need for it but Brownlee got his comeuppance very next match v East Fife broken leg from a simmilar bad challenge.

Yes it did hurt bad that day but at least in those days you could blur the pain with your NY bottle at the match we just got drunk to forget.

But we have made up for that game 100 times over and 19/05/12 wiped it out for ever.

Cant beleive Hibs fans still try to cast up something that happened before most of them were born when memories of last May are still so fresh.

like others have said i'm just sorry we did'nt score eight ,we could/should have.

Carruthers apparently threw up in the tunnel. I'm not a vindictive man, but I haven't forgiven that group of players yet and never will. Disgraceful, and symptomatic of the appalling downward spiral the club was in at the time. Relegation for the first time in our history followed a few seasons later and surprised very few of us.

The lesson was not learned either. As I've often mentioned on here, I encountered most of the first team squad in the St Vincent bar one Hogmanay a few years later. They were in a worse state than I was. Fortunately the derby the next day was postponed because of a frosty pitch.

Carruthers apparently threw up in the tunnel. I'm not a vindictive man, but I haven't forgiven that group of players yet and never will. Disgraceful, and symptomatic of the appalling downward spiral the club was in at the time. Relegation for the first time in our history followed a few seasons later and surprised very few of us

The lesson was not learned either. As I've often mentioned on here, I encountered most of the first team squad in the St Vincent bar one Hogmanay a few years later. They were in a worse state than I was. Fortunately the derby the next day was postponed because of a frosty pitch.

There were some players in those days who would not even get near Tynecastle nowadays their attitude was appalling .They thought that they were billy big times playing for a club with the stature of Hearts but lacked the profesionalism to justify it. We have a lot to thank wallace Mercer and Alex McDonald for they put the pride back in Hearts.

Although Hibs had a great side at that time we made it easy for them that day.

Bad times indeed.

I was just a sack of cells on 1/1/73 so it didn't bother me personally.

Yet the one thing I would say about it is that although 0-7 was a shocker for us, the greater wretchedness about this era was our general run of results against Hibs in the 70s - only two wins over something like 15 years (from about '68 - 83).

That is much more ruinous than the one-off that was 0-7. We just have to accept that it happened, but that it happened a long time ago. However, I would argue that our two recent thrashings of Hibs at Hampden were much more important.

For me, the 0-3 and 6-2 defeats of 99 & 00 were pretty horrible, but there's been a plethora of Hearts wins over the years to cover those.

I can safely say we're better off than them.

I was 4, cant remember it at all.

The one that affected me was 6-2...such a bad feeling after the game, the boast from the hobos stopped at the de vries 5-1 which I feel cancelled it out.

Every 4-1, 4-0, 5-1 for us and I cant help feel that they go through this, must be soul destroying for them.

The bitterness just adds up and with each generation of in-breeding, it will be possible for them to celebrate the 7-0 historic win by holding up one hand...

Archived