the bank of ****ing scotland and ****ing halifax

Quagmire

i utterly hate them. they are beyond cretinous.

if you work for them, quit - they don't deserve decent employees.

I agree.

A truly horrible company.

Worked for them for 5 years and quit on a point of principal.

I agree.

my mates brother did recently after about 30 years.

i'm in the process of transferring to the royal bank, and by christ are HBOS making it as hard and drawn out affair as possible.

Very Prhessley-esque. ;)

Very Prhessley-esque. ;)

I thought about having a press conference outside my branch then turn up at my old branch wearing a Royal Bank of Scotland suit and punching my chest at customers but i decided not to.

I thought about having a press conference outside my branch then turn up at my old branch wearing a Royal Bank of Scotland suit and punching my chest at customers but i decided not to.

Yeah, probably for the best. You wouldn't want your former fellow HBOS customers hating you. :rolleyes:

Yeah, probably for the best. You wouldn't want your former fellow HBOS customers hating you. :rolleyes:

I'd hope they would still like me, i signed for the NHS after all.

What have HBOS done to annoy you so much Quagmire?

I was with RBS before i worked for BoS and they made a titanic **** up of an application that resulted in a massive complaint, compensation being paid to me, an apology from a branch manager, member of staff and area manager and me never using that company again for any reason. I don't think they are any better to be honest.

Banking is a strange industry for customers. You find which one offers the best value until they eventually make a mess of something that really angers you, then you have the choice of either staying a customer and hating your bank because you can't be arsed moving, or you have the huge hassle and stress of everything that goes with finding a new bank and opening all new accounts.

Either way, you're ****ed.

Mistakes happen in any industry

Banking like many other industries also have to put up with people who make groundless complaints/rants due to their own problems or incompetence trying to blame others

Im quietly intrigued as to what they have done to Quagmire

Maybe he's Irvine Jambo/Creag/etc :eek:

I agree.

Ditto on the employment side. I lasted a mere 8 months though and decided enough was enough. I really couldnt face going into a job with wholly immoral values and practices and knowing others in other banks, they think the same about their jobs too.

As for banking with them, ive never had many problems and any difficulties ive had they fixed on the spot with little complaint or jawing from me. As cosanostra says though your fecked either way.

Banking like many other industries also have to put up with people who make groundless complaints/rants due to their own problems or incompetence trying to blame others

the main quibbles i've had are their outragious bank charges - the highest of any bank - and the customer service i received when asking about them.

there's also the tirade of adverts i'm getting in the post selling stuff and the branches themselves just wall to wall with adverts...i know no banks are great (or even good) but they really do seem to be the worst.

the main quibbles i've had are their outragious bank charges - the highest of any bank - and the customer service i received when asking about them.

there's also the tirade of adverts i'm getting in the post selling stuff and the branches themselves just wall to wall with adverts...i know no banks are great (or even good) but they really do seem to be the worst.

So your moaning about charges that only happen on the whole when you breach the terms you signed :rolleyes:

As for the service, no wonder , would you thank your incompetent customers coming in and moaning trying to take your bonus

As for adverts, shock horror company tries to make profit:rolleyes:

So your moaning about charges that only happen on the whole when you breach the terms you signed :rolleyes:

As for the service, no wonder , would you thank your incompetent customers coming in and moaning trying to take your bonus

Do you work for HBoS Prancer?

Do they still charge the ?28 account maintainance fee? That was a big part of the reason i left. I still have not heard any reasonable justification for the charge so i allowed the staff in my branch to refund them if they were challenged by customers. Needless to say, that did not go down well.

Do you work for HBoS Prancer?

Do they still charge the ?28 account maintainance fee? That was a big part of the reason i left. I still have not heard any reasonable justification for the charge so i allowed the staff in my branch to refund them if they were challenged by customers. Needless to say, that did not go down well.

No I dont - although did in the past before the smart arses pounce and nothing to do with fees/

I personally believe adults should be responsible for their own finances and dealings, if people are stupid enough to not read terms and establish charges and fees tough

Likewise if people cant live within their means tough

I personally think the banking system we have in this country is far preferable to the one that will be forced on us if the minority win their charges back for overspending what they dont have

i'd be quietly interested as to how serious you're being here...:rolleyes:

i'd be quietly interested as to how serious you're being here...:rolleyes:

Im being deadly serious

There is absolutly no reason anyone should incur charges if they act within the terms of their accounts unless they agree or decide to incur them

Furthermore most banks will allow one off ones to be refunded

If you incur charges you have no right to badmouth the company or staff as it is your own fault and no one elses

I also find it quite offensive that soon everyone will be penalised for others actions

No I dont - although did in the past before the smart arses pounce and nothing to do with fees/

I personally believe adults should be responsible for their own finances and dealings, if people are stupid enough to not read terms and establish charges and fees tough

Likewise if people cant live within their means tough

I personally think the banking system we have in this country is far preferable to the one that will be forced on us if the minority win their charges back for overspending what they dont have

I agree to an extent.

I think if people do breach their t+c's, over their limit, bounced DDs, missed payments, late payments etc they should be charged.

However, the ?28 end of month, account maintainance charge that was applied in any month where a customer was over their overdraft limit as well as the overdraft charge, is just exploitation. Charging someone for getting a charge is outrageous - totally indefensible.

I agree to an extent.

I think if people do breach their t+c's, over their limit, bounced DDs, missed payments, late payments etc they should be charged.

However, the ?28 end of month, account maintainance charge that was applied in any month where a customer was over their overdraft limit as well as the overdraft charge, is just exploitation. Charging someone for getting a charge is outrageous - totally indefensible.

Whilst these charges are high we all know what the simple solution is

It is a bit of a catch 22 situation but tbh my sympathy is lacking for most of the offenders, especially the repeat ones who are suddenly legal experts and want thousands back

Im being deadly serious

There is absolutly no reason anyone should incur charges if they act within the terms of their accounts unless they agree or decide to incur them

If you incur charges you have no right to badmouth the company or staff as it is your own fault and no one elses

I also find it quite offensive that soon everyone will be penalised for others actions

charges are fair enough, unauthorised overdraughts cost the bank money - but 30 quid per transaction, then another 28 basically because of the first 30 when you've gone a couple of quid overdrawn while on holiday, put money in the bank ASAP but being about half an hour late and being refused any refunds due to the previous couple they've given me out of "good will"...?

and i've never been anything other than civil on the phone to them, i am aware the kind of crap they'll be putting up with.

Whilst these charges are high we all know what the simple solution is

It is a bit of a catch 22 situation but tbh my sympathy is lacking for most of the offenders, especially the repeat ones who are suddenly legal experts and want thousands back

Like i said, there should be a charge structure.

It should be fair though and not immoral and expoitative.

Charging people for getting a charge for example, it's just wrong.

what i find offensive is when banks screw up and refuse to acknowledge it!

i ended up with over ?200 in charges when i was as student because the bank of scotland decided to apply maintenance charges to a student account, where there were not meant to be ANY maintenance charges

that took me overdrawn and then they were charging for letters to tell me i was overdrawn!

i noticed when i was away and unable to do anything about it cos i "couldn't get in to my branch" for over a week

they tried to make out it wasn't a tudent account and the maintenance charge was correct, until i started bumping my gums, rather loudly, in the banking hall, and in front of a fairly packed bank, and brought out the records that it was indeed a student account.

i got those charges back fairly promptly!

banks can make honest mistakes, and i agree their charges are high, but you do agree to their terms and conditions when you sign up for an account, so if you go overdrawn without permission, its your own fault if you get charges.

it bothers me that the rest of us, who do keep themselves in check will soon be paying for those who can't, or wont, look after their own money

likewise, it bugs the hell out of me when you get a charge for being pennies overdrawn, or have DDs bumped cos you've made a pay in at 3.33pm, missing the end of the banking day by minutes

Who do you work for Prancer?

Thats true but why should i suffer because some **** in a bank makes a mistake ! I've just went through 8 weeks of hell because someone decided at the bank not to pay one of my cheques ! Not only did i have to wait 2 weeks to get the cheque presented again, i also had to pay the company the cheque was signed to 8 thousand pounds of my own money just so i could deal with the company again ! Even after i had paid the money, the company asked me to re apply for a account which took 6 weeks to sort out and also me having to paid 10 grand as a deposit for future transaction ! so becasue i have not being able to do proper business for the last 8 weeks i've made no money ! ALL BECAUSE SOME **** AT RBS decided not to pay a cheque ! Have i had a sorry from the bank ? NO ! HAs the guy who fecked up said sorry ? has he had the decenecy to even speak to me NO ! i'm currently suing RBS for the whole lot plus losses of earnings, i will never do business with them ever again ! so don't give it people make groundless complaints etc ! Banks can be very efficiet if they want to be, but the do not on purposes to make us much money as possible !

No.

Is it business banking you are in?

I'll say this for BoS, when i worked for them, most of the best staff tended to move onto business and corporate quite quickly and they seemed to enjoy their jobs. Seemed like mostly guys and plenty of opportunities for progression in busines and corporate. My branch was a kep business branch in Glasgow due to it's location and most of the business customers were extremely happy with the service they were given.

Is it business banking you are in?

I'll say this for BoS, when i worked for them, most of the best staff tended to move onto business and corporate quite quickly and they seemed to enjoy their jobs. Seemed like mostly guys and plenty of opportunities for progression in busines and corporate. My branch was a kep business branch in Glasgow due to it's location and most of the business customers were extremely happy with the service they were given.

I'm in Accounts Payable - it's not too bad, not really what I see myself doing long term but it's okay for now. I'm not quitting, though, not until I've been on at least one advert and become a national icon. :biggrin:

Im being deadly serious

OK, i closed a account in december, nothing was due and all DD were canceled, so why did the bank (not hbos, or bos) charge me in januray ? this meant also a overdrawn charge as well ! They have done this every month ! I point blank refuse to pay them a single point after already paying them over 500 pounds last year in charges ! everytime i phone i end up in india with someone telling me my account is close ! but its all my fault !

II'm not quitting, though, not until I've been on at least one advert and become a national icon. :biggrin:

i being a kickback icon not enough for you?

sheesh!:rolleyes:

OK, i closed a account in december, nothing was due and all DD were canceled, so why did the bank (not hbos, or bos) charge me in januray ? this meant also a overdrawn charge as well ! They have done this every month ! I point blank refuse to pay them a single point after already paying them over 500 pounds last year in charges ! everytime i phone i end up in india with someone telling me my account is close ! but its all my fault !

What was the charge etc? Wouldnt possibly know without the circumstances

as for cheques, very common fraud practice not to accept large cheques being paid without verification, this is something I dealt with and the banks at that time had 24 hrs to pull cheques at trunctation after which they were screwed, hbos took the practice of attemtping to call people within the 24 hrs then a discretionary decision was made, maybe not great for customers but it isnt them who stood to lose thousands of pounds

I worked for hbos for almost 5 years, mostly in retail but also corporate and most customer complaints imo are simply not justified and come down to either their own mistakes or banks not willing to risk massive financial loss on iffy decisions

As for the OP who ran up ?500 charges in a year, your getting zero sympathy as I dont think anyone except you is to blame

Id also like to point out how racist it is suggesting india call centres etc, as far as im aware very few of the big banks actually have any foreign call centres and to me it seems to be a gripe people raise when their not getting their own way

My collegeugues at the time who had very strong scottish accents were always moaning about this and it seemed many people used it to try and justify their mistakes

The simple fact is if a bank makes a mistake your legally entitled to that being rectified, people also need to realise abuse gets you nowere, do you think I, cosanotra or makween or anyone else goes that bit extra for downright rude or ignorant abusive morons?

If you make a one off mistake banks again on the whole are understanding

People also need to realise there is a lot of fraud and legislation which banks need to abide for which causes barriers

Finally Ill state anyone who racks up hundreds of pounds of charges in a lifetime never mind a year should take a running jump and grow up and learn how to manage their life like an adult

jamboinglasgow

I dont personally like the HBoS. First of all I am an account holder at Intelligent Finance which is owned by HBoS, when I was trying to set up an account it took so long due to problems of proof of ID (I was 16 and required three different types of proof, so I could use a passport but I had no bills and had to wait till I was 17 to get a provisional driving liscence to use that.) Anyway it needed to be verified by a BoS member of staff and the woman who handled it was so snooty towards me and made no effort to do anything until I pushed her towards what was needed to be done.

Their adverts I detest towards as a) they are annoying and B) I want my bank to act seriously not sing towards me all the virtues that I may get if I had an account at them. Though my mate told me that recently when he was in BoS trying to cash in a cheque there was an old guy demanding to see the manager because he found it unacceptable that they were playing music in the branch and that he expected this kind of thing from a hotel not a bank.

What was the charge etc? Wouldnt possibly know without the circumstances

as for cheques, very common fraud practice not to accept large cheques being paid without verification, this is something I dealt with and the banks at that time had 24 hrs to pull cheques at trunctation after which they were screwed, hbos took the practice of attemtping to call people within the 24 hrs then a discretionary decision was made, maybe not great for customers but it isnt them who stood to lose thousands of pounds

I worked for hbos for almost 5 years, mostly in retail but also corporate and most customer complaints imo are simply not justified and come down to either their own mistakes or banks not willing to risk massive financial loss on iffy decisions

As for the OP who ran up ?500 charges in a year, your getting zero sympathy as I dont think anyone except you is to blame

Id also like to point out how racist it is suggesting india call centres etc, as far as im aware very few of the big banks actually have any foreign call centres and to me it seems to be a gripe people raise when their not getting their own way

My collegeugues at the time who had very strong scottish accents were always moaning about this and it seemed many people used it to try and justify their mistakes

The simple fact is if a bank makes a mistake your legally entitled to that being rectified, people also need to realise abuse gets you nowere, do you think I, cosanotra or makween or anyone else goes that bit extra for downright rude or ignorant abusive morons?

If you make a one off mistake banks again on the whole are understanding

People also need to realise there is a lot of fraud and legislation which banks need to abide for which causes barriers

Finally Ill state anyone who racks up hundreds of pounds of charges in a lifetime never mind a year should take a running jump and grow up and learn how to manage their life like an adult

I've never being rude, or raise my voice to any of the staff, even tho they have caused me unbelievable hedache over the last 2 months. What i would expect is the guy whos fault it was to atleast speak to me ! I went into the branch 9 times and everytime he was busy and said he would return my call. This is completely unacceptable if i treated a client like this i would lose him ! The chq was not returned because of fraud, it was returned because they claimed there was not enough funds in the account, which was rubbish !

In terms of the CC, it was in India, i was not be rude or ignorant but was stating fact ! They charged me 500 quid becuase i had a old student account with them that still had a overdraft on it that was not being paid. Not bothered about it, once i had paid it off and closed the account, there should not have being any more charges !

coppercrutch

I was going to read this thread but I thought - What the ****.

All banks are ****ing *****. The sooner you realise that the better.

Anyone on here saying one is better than the other is just a grade 'A' loser.

:)

portobellojambo1

I am now 52, I opened my account with The Bank of Scotland when I was 13 and have never, ever had any problems with them. Suppose it helps that my account has never been overdrawn, all my bills are set up to be paid by DDM, and they have had no reason to impose charges of any sort, as I don't give them any.

HBOS! Oh don't go there.

Last year they changed my name...without bothering to tell me. Just gave me a whole new surname. I call phone banking to make a transaction and I'm told the name I have given is not the one on my account. So they refused to speak to me. Asking me over and over again if I had recently married! Em no. I think I'd have remembered!

So my account sits there for 8 days until I can get an appointment in the branch with me unable to do anything with it or speak to anyone about it because I have the wrong name!

Finally we sort it out. How, Why it happened will forever by a mystery because I got no explanation or apology.

4 Weeks later I add my other half to one of my accounts. Forms are filled in, I.D is handed in, they all get sent away. 3 weeks later (after much chasing by me as it was supposed to take 3 days!) I receive the good news that Mr Whoever It Was is now on my account. Which is fine except Mr Whoever It Was was not my partner but a random stranger who I find out 4 days later has been issued with a bank card and a cheque book for my account.

Finally they sorted it out. How, Why it happened we will never know becuase we never got an explanation nor an apology.

Then March rolls round. I notice a DD for nearly ?545 has come off my account to Abbey National. I query this as I have no idea what it is. It's my mortgage they tell me. It's the first payment. No it's not I tell them as I don't have a mortgage with Abbey. Yes it is they tell me. Em no it's not. Turns out the Abbey mortgage payment actually belongs to Mr Whoever It Was and not me but bizarrely he is still linked to my account!

They sorted it out...after his car payment had come off as well. How, Why it happened we don't know because...well you know the rest.

Oh and for the record I have found that conveying my displeasure in a polite, concise manner in a voice slightly raised in the middle of a busy branch attracting the attention of other customers tends to get you results from HBOS very quickly.

And I too am a former employee or both HBOS and RBS.

davemclaren
I'm in Accounts Payable - it's not too bad, not really what I see myself doing long term but it's okay for now. I'm not quitting, though, not until I've been on at least one advert and become a national icon. :biggrin:

I think you should quit. :whistling:

davemclaren
I am now 52, I opened my account with The Bank of Scotland when I was 13 and have never, ever had any problems with them. Suppose it helps that my account has never been overdrawn, all my bills are set up to be paid by DDM, and they have had no reason to impose charges of any sort, as I don't give them any.

QED

I'm pretty bitter at HBoS right now as well.

I went through all the application process to work for them. Passed the phone interview in January, only to hear nothing for roughly 6 weeks. Then a phone call out of the blue, telling me I was to attend a face-to-face interview in early March. A week later, I was told I was being offered the job and I should pop back in to finalise things.

Last Tuesday I was sent an email to tell me I'm not getting the job after all. Not even an explanation as to why, or a ****ing apology that they'd kept me hanging on for this long. As a result, I'm closing my account ASAP and opening one with someone else.

Pretty annoyed tbh.

They did a poster campaign from my office once

Of 8 people chosen, 2 happened to be the only 2 asians in the department , hmmmm

Very demographic of the fife ethnic decide im sure :)

The reason i dislike RBS so much...

Had a student account with a 2k overdraft which was advertised with 2 years interest free after graduation to pay it back and anything left over would be converted to a 2yr int free loan.

After graduation, they charged me ?60 int on the first month resulting in bounced DDs resulting in charge from another company and 2 charges from RBS. It took about 3 months, 15 visits to the branch and twice as many phone calls for them to admit my account was a student account and then refund all of the interest, charges and pay my charges with the other company.

I then got a copy of my credit file to see a default notice was issued for during this time. Another 3 months of complaints and phone calls to get this sorted.

I pay regular amounts but i still owe about 1k after the 2 years is up so i go and see them to arrange the interest free loan about 2 months before the int free period ends.

They say i have to apply for it so fill in a massive form. 3 weeks later i've heard nothing so go back. They've lost the application form. Fill in another one. 3 weeks later heard nothing go in again and they say it's in hand and being processed. Wait another 3 weeks, still nothing - go and see them. Have to wait in the branch for 45 minutes and then some ginger tosser comes out and tells me i was declined for the free loan despite already having been guaranteed it as part of the bank account i have.

Huge complaint, yelling etc is the result, i get passed onto customer care. I hear nothing for another month and then i get a letter from a debt collection agency threatening me. This is when i went to the ombudsman and spoke to a lawyer. Within a week of speaking to a lawyer, they had sent me another application form to fill in for the int free loan and they approved it on the condition i paid my salary into their bank account.

Ombudsman found in my favour, granted compensation from RBS, credit file cleared, apologies from numerous members of staff and me never setting foot in an RBS branch again.

I got my salary paid into their account for one month and then transferred it back again.

Biggest bunch of idiots i've ever dealt with in my entire life.

They did a poster campaign from my office once

Of 8 people chosen, 2 happened to be the only 2 asians in the department , hmmmm

Very demographic of the fife ethnic decide im sure :)

I noticed that in my time there as well.

Woman, black guy, chinese guy, Asian bird etc etc

Look at us, we're sooooo PC.

i utterly hate them. they are beyond cretinous.

if you work for them, quit - they don't deserve decent employees.

I could not agree more, they're parasites. I am on the verge on transferring my banking away from them as well.

david mcgee

" a banker is someone who will lend you a brolly when the sun is shineing, and ask for it back when it starts raining".

All bankers are wh@nkers.

Still robbing from the poor and giving to the rich.

Still paying themselves massive bonuses despite the fact that they have single handed brought the World to the brink of a serious global recession.

Greedy, self indulgent, pompous, self righteous, brainless gits.

I dislike banks.

cosanostra

Went into a branch today and they refused to give me a screen print of my last weeks transactions. Said they were "not allowed to". I started to get annoyed as i usually get a similar list every few weeks at the same branch. Bint goes and asks manager, manager says ok. Bint looks angry. I then asked if she would stamp it to show the date for the student grant people, bint say they are definitely not allowed, despite me getting similar stamped list of transactions regularly for university reasons. Bint this time refuses to ask manager and i didn't get what i needed.

As soon as i graduate i'll be closing every account i have with these guys, credit card, insurance and mortgage will be moving as well.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

See I'm actually in the process of moving to HBoS as the Royal are fecking useless.

For over a year I have been trying to upgrade my account but they keep fobbing me off.

I've been trying to get an overdraft as well but they fecking reject that because I have no credit rating even though everyone I speak to has managed to get an overdraft no problem.

I contacted BoS and I will be able to get an overdraft without any complications so I am not entirely sure why it is so hard to do this at a bank where I have been a customer for years.

I'm considering sending them an email tonight to see what they say about me transferring everything to another bank as they won't give me what I want!

cosanostra

Not sure where i'll move to.

I like the idea of the Co-operative Bank but i'd want to read into whether or not they actually are any more ethical than the rest or is it just a cynical marketing ploy.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I'm pretty bitter at HBoS right now as well.

I went through all the application process to work for them. Passed the phone interview in January, only to hear nothing for roughly 6 weeks. Then a phone call out of the blue, telling me I was to attend a face-to-face interview in early March. A week later, I was told I was being offered the job and I should pop back in to finalise things.

Last Tuesday I was sent an email to tell me I'm not getting the job after all. Not even an explanation as to why, or a ****ing apology that they'd kept me hanging on for this long. As a result, I'm closing my account ASAP and opening one with someone else.

Pretty annoyed tbh.

Anti Ginger apparantly ;)

Archived