Meyers-Briggs/Carl Jung Personality Types

BoJack Horseman

BoJack Horseman

Has anyone taken one of these tests to find out where you sit within the Meyers-Briggs personality spectrum? This one is 72 yes/no questions that will give you a 4 letter personality type.

http://www.humanmetr...win/jtypes2.asp

You can then read your personality profile here and see how accurate it is.

http://www.personali.../portraits.html

I wouldn't put much value into it, but mine came out surprisingly accurate and a lot of my personality traits that I thought were unique to me are apparently pretty common for folk with my type. It makes pretty interesting reading, even if you consider it to be bullshit (which I kind of do).

Oooh, I love this stuff. :) And I was in the rarest 1% of all personality types too:

http://www.personali.../html/INFJ.html

Intuitive - albeit not when it comes to predicting football results. :teehee:

Some weeks back, I came across this Narcissistic Personality Inventory - which is shorter and more fun to complete than the test above, I think.

http://psychcentral....arcissistic.htm

I scored 8, and asked my students to complete it too. Which seemed like a good idea at the time - only, in a test in which above 15 = "narcissistic", for one of them to score 30. :lol: She was absolutely mortified.

I do think it was accurate, though. :D

BoJack Horseman

Oooh, I love this stuff. :) And I was in the rarest 1% of all personality types too:

Some weeks back, I came across this Narcissistic Personality Inventory - which is shorter and more fun to complete than the test above, I think.

I scored 8, and asked my students to complete it too. Which seemed like a good idea at the time - only, in a test in which above 15 = "narcissistic", for one of them to score 30. :lol: She was absolutely mortified.

Shaun Lawson, an introvert, who'd have thunk it? Do you feel that the personality profile accurately describes you?

Checking out that other test and expecting a high number.

Shaun Lawson, an introvert, who'd have thunk it? Do you feel that the personality profile accurately describes you?

Checking out that other test and expecting a high number.

Pretty much, yes. I'd probably argue I'm more empathetic than judgemental, but it depends on the circumstances. I hardly judge ordinary human behaviour at all, and am very much a moral relativist on that front - but when it comes to politics, for example, I get very angry and rage against injustice caused by the likes of this awful government.

So in short, like everyone else, I'm complex. :)

BoJack Horseman

I scored a 20 on the narcissism test. Probably accurate but those questions were awful. It was basically "are you a dick?".

The People's Chimp

ENTP apparently, which seems fairly accurate.

They love to debate issues, and may even switch sides sometimes just for the love of the debate.

:lol:

BoJack Horseman

ENTP apparently, which seems fairly accurate.

:lol:

ENTPs are fluent conversationalists, mentally quick, and enjoy verbal sparring with others. They love to debate issues, and may even switch sides sometimes just for the love of the debate. When they express their underlying principles, however, they may feel awkward and speak abruptly and intensely.

Agreed.

Just saw you quoted the same bit.

I scored a 20 on the narcissism test. Probably accurate but those questions were awful. It was basically "are you a dick?".

Hence my amusement at my student's score of 30. I only did the test with them because the questions were relatively easy to understand: they're only intermediate level English learners.

The People's Chimp

ENTPs are fluent conversationalists, mentally quick, and enjoy verbal sparring with others. They love to debate issues, and may even switch sides sometimes just for the love of the debate. When they express their underlying principles, however, they may feel awkward and speak abruptly and intensely.

Agreed.

Just saw you quoted the same bit.

What's your type then?

BoJack Horseman

What's your type then?

INTP. Fairly similar to you but predominantly introverted. The profile is pretty accurate barring the parts that are claim anyone who is INTP is some sort of theoretical genius.

http://www.celebritytypes.com/intp.php

Me and big Einstein are bros.

We went through this for our work team, 10 of us, was actually really useful in realising how differnet people work and need infromation presented to them as well as time to plan.

Has anyone taken one of these tests to find out where you sit within the Meyers-Briggs personality spectrum? This one is 72 yes/no questions that will give you a 4 letter personality type.

http://www.humanmetr...win/jtypes2.asp

You can then read your personality profile here and see how accurate it is.

http://www.personali.../portraits.html

I wouldn't put much value into it, but mine came out surprisingly accurate and a lot of my personality traits that I thought were unique to me are apparently pretty common for folk with my type. It makes pretty interesting reading, even if you consider it to be bullshit (which I kind of do).

Done plenty of them over the years.

They are all reasonably good guides for various things - learning styles, how you best react to others and information focus.

However they only become a 'problem' when people see them as tramlines for their life and start behaviour accordingly - like astrology and palm reading.

Use the information in a general way to best maximise how you learn and react in situations (and understanding how to get the most out of others) but beyond this don't take them as a rule book for life.

They are all reasonably good guides for various things - learning styles, how you best react to others and information focus.

However they only become a 'problem' when people see them as tramlines for their life and start behaviour accordingly - like astrology and palm reading.

Use the information in a general way to best maximise how you learn and react in situations (and understanding how to get the most out of others) but beyond this don't take them as a rule book for life.

Agree 100%.

Done this a few times, mainly through work (although I read some Jung at uni). I'm an INTJ on this test but the last one I did I was ESTJ as my I/E and S/Ns are moderate. The T and J are very strong though and that's accurate.

The People's Chimp

I'm an ESFJ apparently and I scored 2 on that narcissism test :lol:

I'm not going to talk about the narcissism test.

:look:

BoJack Horseman

Extremely well put. Definitely use it as a guideline rather than an instruction manual. I try to take what I already know about myself and relate to the profile, rather than take the profile and try to relate it to myself.

Extremely well put. Definitely use it as a guideline rather than an instruction manual. I try to take what I already know about myself and relate to the profile, rather than take the profile and try to relate it to myself.

Unfortunately people are always looking for a quick fix, a cheat sheet or a short-cut to greatness and many would love these mystical black boxes of personal interpretation to unlock some inner amazingess for them to fast track to being awesome.

They just don't work like that but like any 'tool' can be effective if used the right way.

BoJack Horseman

Unfortunately people are always looking for a quick fix, a cheat sheet or a short-cut to greatness and many would love these mystical black boxes of personal interpretation to unlock some inner amazingess for them to fast track to being awesome.

They just don't work like that but like any 'tool' can be effective if used the right way.

I find that some people also use things like this as reasons to be dicks or have one up on other people. Introversion is a great example as people seem to confuse it with "I hate people" and instead of admitting that they're anti-social they just claim it's because they're an introvert.

Personally, it helped me to understand why I need my alone time more often than most. I'm a fairly social guy, I like going out and having a good time, and I'm pretty outgoing when I am, but I don't need to be around people all the time. I don't need to constantly fill silences, I don't need to always be active and I'm quite content in my own company. We live in a world where extroverts rule and it's "weird" to want your own space. Growing up under that pretense was tough, so to finally have an explanation for why I'm like that was quite relieving and why I find these tests beneficial.

I find that some people also use things like this as reasons to be dicks or have one up on other people. Introversion is a great example as people seem to confuse it with "I hate people" and instead of admitting that they're anti-social they just claim it's because they're an introvert.

Personally, it helped me to understand why I need my alone time more often than most. I'm a fairly social guy, I like going out and having a good time, and I'm pretty outgoing when I am, but I don't need to be around people all the time. I don't need to constantly fill silences, I don't need to always be active and I'm quite content in my own company. We live in a world where extroverts rule and it's "weird" to want your own space. Growing up under that pretense was tough, so to finally have an explanation for why I'm like that was quite relieving and why I find these tests beneficial.

Very true, in a way its like absolving themselves of acting responsibly...'well my personality makes it so' rather than realising what it is is a guide to help you work around such situations and NOT act in a stereotypical manner if it will be inappropriate to do so.

Its really just about knowing yourself (and others) a little better to be able to adapt to perform better, rather than a get out of jail card or a note from your mum to allow you to be an arse.

(yes i do see the irony of what i just posted consider what most people think of me on here...)

ENTJ. Makes me sound like a bit of an arse, which is probably true. Some traits which are central to my personality have been outlined in the description, so I suppose it's not entirely inaccurate.

" ...INTJ may become obsessed with mindless repetitive, Sensate activities, such as over-drinking..."

Well, they got that bit right, anyway...! :mj_zivili::jambobanana:

INTP. Some of the details are uncannily like me (leaving the work of applying knowledge to others, for example), but I wonder if it's somewhat like horoscopes: say something general and it will apply to many people.

INTP. Some of the details are uncannily like me (leaving the work of applying knowledge to others, for example), but I wonder if it's somewhat like horoscopes: say something general and it will apply to many people.

Not at all. This is actually based on your actions, rather than the time of year you were born.

The problem with these things though, is that in general - most people would or could relate to the qualities of most of the personality's types and hence see the results as 'accurate'.

Like when a psychic says, 'you will soon be going on a long journey'

Kind off.... but more the other way round.

People can easily related to pretty much all the qualities, rather than them having to be so general.

For example, sometimes people are generous, sometimes they are conscientious with money....most people would like to see themselves as both so when one appears, they say 'yep that's me....'

BoJack Horseman

That's something that hit home for me. I love being in the planning stages of a project, but as soon as it gets to implementation I'm just not bothered. I've got so many abandoned projects it's ridiculous and didn't really realise that's what I did until I read that.

Kind off.... but more the other way round.

People can easily related to pretty much all the qualities, rather than them having to be so general.

For example, sometimes people are generous, sometimes they are conscientious with money....most people would like to see themselves as both so when one appears, they say 'yep that's me....'

As much as I agree, I think there's enough variation in the profiles that they are pretty specific to each type. I've read through most, but not all of them, and haven't related to them at all. The further away from your type, the more clear that is. I see myself in ENTP for example, a lot more than I do in ESTJ because of the overlaps between the types.

That's something that hit home for me. I love being in the planning stages of a project, but as soon as it gets to implementation I'm just not bothered. I've got so many abandoned projects it's ridiculous and didn't really realise that's what I did until I read that.

As much as I agree, I think there's enough variation in the profiles that they are pretty specific to each type. I've read through most, but not all of them, and haven't related to them at all. The further away from your type, the more clear that is. I see myself in ENTP for example, a lot more than I do in ESTJ because of the overlaps between the types.

Yeah, im not saying they are all general - but everyone can see themselves in some characteristics of any variation of profile created.

So in some way no matter what you got you could related to it.

INTJ. makes sense. i'm aware of many of the characteristics that follow from this and those that don't, but the ability to assess one's abilities and deficiencies is a characteristic of INTJs.

"INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time" - this is very true. talking about the weather, etc really hurts me.

INTJ. makes sense. i'm aware of many of the characteristics that follow from this and those that don't, but the ability to assess one's abilities and deficiencies is a characteristic of INTJs.

"INTJs may communicate that idle dialogue such as small talk is a waste of time" - this is very true. talking about the weather, etc really hurts me.

Me too! Though by the same token, some people think that Brits are obsessed with talking about the weather. We're not; it's just our way of breaking the ice and starting a conversation with someone.

Me too! Though by the same token, some people think that Brits are obsessed with talking about the weather. We're not; it's just our way of breaking the ice and starting a conversation with someone.

it's a shame that people do it innocently as a way of filling gaps in conversations as i'm not great at starting conversations, but good once there's a topic set. If people feel the need to fill gaps with inane chatter it can set me on edge and i'll end up appearing aloof or pretentious.

Pretentious. Moi?

it's a shame that people do it innocently as a way of filling gaps in conversations as i'm not great at starting conversations, but good once there's a topic set. If people feel the need to fill gaps with inane chatter it can set me on edge and i'll end up appearing aloof or pretentious.

Pretentious. Moi?

Ditto with me in all of that. I'm not sure what we can do if others get the wrong end of the stick about us though. For myself, I know I'm not aloof; I'm actually shy.

Craig Gordons Gloves

I couldn't agree more. I work in T&D and over the years have created and delivered programs that have various "personality" indicators, learning indicators etc as part of the courses. I continually stress how these are guides and not rules. I moved over to the US company about 6 years ago and came across :"Strengthsfinder" in it's various guises. I was appalled by how the company culture was shaping itself due to these. People openly saying "yeah, my top 5 is .... so i don't focus on those other areas" or :"well, x is in my bottom 5 and i can't change that" - it was horrific. Fortunately, it's moved on but it even has made up words in it - like "ideator" and "woo" or other words ending in "izer" or shit like that. I probably pissed a few people off by telling them my top 5 was Sarcasmizer, Alcoholism, Cynicism, Humorist and Agressor"

I should also point out that once you've done one of these tests - if you do another one then you subconsciously answer the questions knowing what you already are - so it skews the results somewhat.

][/size]ISTPs have an adventuresome spirit. They are attracted to motorcycles, airplanes, sky diving, surfing, etc. They thrive on action, and are usually fearless. ISTPs are fiercely independent, needing to have the space to make their own decisions about their next step. They do not believe in or follow rules and regulations, as this would prohibit their ability to "do their own thing". Their sense of adventure and desire for constant action makes ISTPs prone to becoming bored rather quickly.

Yep.

INFJ. Seems reasonably accurate.

And 5 on the Narcissism test.

I'm not going to try and take over the world anytime soon. :D

It's true though, we don't like to make a fuss or get all in people's faces or business. Some neighbours I've spoken to for years and almost entirely ONLY about the weather, occasionally about the bins or dog. It's not disinterest or aloofness, it's just feels impolite to nose into their business I guess.

Your move to a country with a latin temperament must have required a fair degree of adjustment...

John Gentleman

I clocked a INFJ too Shaun. Bloody uncanny.

C_N_U_T

Test was almost accurate...........

INTP.....I do have many theories e.g. Chocolate gets darker the older you get.......mmmmhhmmmm

Archived