Brian Clough quote....

Martin_T

"I'm a Derby man. Derby County were here a long time before Robert Maxwell" - on agreeing with a protest by Derby fans against Maxwell's ownership of the club.

A quote that I quite like and if amended for our own club, reads especially well. We should all remember that Heart of Midlothian is not Vladimir Romanov and Vladimir Romanov is not Hearts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clough Quite a few good quotes at the bottom of Clough's Wikipedia entry.

Brian Clough was a genius. I wish there were more like him but he was one of a kind.

That quote is spot on for Heart's situation.

Brian Clough was a genius. I wish there were more like him but he was one of a kind.

That quote is spot on for Heart's situation.

By the way,Hearts doesnt have an apostrophe in it.

And i can just hear Stevie Frail now"Im a Hearts man.Hearts were here long before Vladimir Romanov.And Vilicka really did have a knee injury when he was really away signing for some Norweigian mob.And Basso has a groin strain and larrys got the flu and i pick the team,honest,honest i dont lie to the fans."

The future of HMFC as we know it may just depend on Romanov however.

Sorry, not one for sentimental sound bytes.

I think we saw when Robinson was in charge how much romantic notions actually turn into concrete action.

Sheriff Fatman

Let's just hope Vlad doesn't do what Robert Maxwell did to Oxford when he resigned to take over at Derby. His son was worse than useless and ended up selling to Kassam for ?1. Kassam gave Oxford a new stadium, well three stands of a new stadium, and of course named it after himself.

alwaysthereinspirit
Let's just hope Vlad doesn't do what Robert Maxwell did to Oxford when he resigned to take over at Derby. His son was worse than useless and ended up selling to Kassam for ?1. Kassam gave Oxford a new stadium, well three stands of a new stadium, and of course named it after himself.

Kassamstand. Is that near Afghanistand.

J.T.F.Robertson

And i can just hear Stevie Frail now"Im a Hearts man.Hearts were here long before Vladimir Romanov.And Vilicka really did have a knee injury when he was really away signing for some Norweigian mob.And Basso has a groin strain and larrys got the flu and i pick the team,honest,honest i dont lie to the fans."

But should have had one outside it. :o Funnily enough, "doesn't", does. :confused:

Sheriff Fatman
Kassamstand. Is that near Afghanistand.

Na, Blackbird Leys is quite nice, at least it is now.

You're right. It should have been Hearts' situation.

Sorry about that.

I'M IBRAHIM TALL

I have used that mantra for a while now, telling people I have supported Hearts longer than Romanov has been around and will support them long after. When Clough says it he is some kind of genius visionary. When I, or any other Hearts fan says it, we are burying our heads in the sand.

Its a strange world isn't it.

The Old Tolbooth
I have used that mantra for a while now, telling people I have supported Hearts longer than Romanov has been around and will support them long after. When Clough says it he is some kind of genius visionary. When I, or any other Hearts fan says it, we are burying our heads in the sand.

Its a strange world isn't it.

You cant really argue with that mate :confused:

Charlie-Brown

Martin is paraphrasing Rudolf Hess from the nazi propaganda film Triumpf des Willens.

"Der Partei ist Hitler. Hitler, aber, ist Deutschland wie Deutschland Hitler ist! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!"

Cloughy was Middlesbrough born and bred.

I'm seriously interested to hear how he became a Derby man.

All my mates in the Boro still love Cloughy.

Say What Again

Anyone interested in Brian Clough should read the Damned United, the story of his 44 days in charge of Leeds.

It's a fantastic piece of sports literature.

Link here to the book - mods, I'm not promoting any websites I hope. Please delete it immediately if it's against the rules.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Damned-Utd-David-Peace/dp/0571224261

Martin is paraphrasing Rudolf Hess from the nazi propaganda film Triumpf des Willens.

"Der Partei ist Hitler. Hitler, aber, ist Deutschland wie Deutschland Hitler ist! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil! Sieg Heil!"

Oh the irony of you referring to Nazi propaganda!:rolleyes:

Anyone interested in Brian Clough should read the Damned United, the story of his 44 days in charge of Leeds.

Link here to the book - mods, I'm not promoting any websites I hope. Please delete it immediately if it's against the rules.

I'm in the process of reading it Jack and am in full agreement with you. One of the best books I've read about sport.

Cloughy was Middlesbrough born and bred.

I'm seriously interested to hear how he became a Derby man.

All my mates in the Boro still love Cloughy.

In the same way say Willie Miller became an Aberdeen man? Through a long and intense relationship with the club. Clough may have only managed Derby between 1967 and 1973, but he formed a strong bond with the club and I think I'm right in saying he still lived in the town until his death.

"I'm a Derby man. Derby County were here a long time before Robert Maxwell" - on agreeing with a protest by Derby fans against Maxwell's ownership of the club.

A quote that I quite like and if amended for our own club, reads especially well. We should all remember that Heart of Midlothian is not Vladimir Romanov and Vladimir Romanov is not Hearts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Clough Quite a few good quotes at the bottom of Clough's Wikipedia entry.

So why do we all wake up to the same people every day telling us we are supporting Vlad by renewing our STs?

So why do we all wake up to the same people every day telling us we are supporting Vlad by renewing our STs?

That is not the point I am making. There are those on this forum who still see criticism of Romanov as criticism of HMFC. The point I make is that Romanov is merely the current custodian and Heart of Midlothian in one form or another will still be here when he departs.

In any event, buying a season ticket is not the be all and end all of supporting the club.

You're right. It should have been Hearts' situation.

Sorry about that.

Not too sure but English ain't my subject, as there is only one Heart of Midlothian should it not be "Heart's" or maybe Hearts's? or maybe Heart of Midlothian's situation?

Must be some English anorak here?

ToadKiller Dog

Read it just a few weeks ago excellent book,think he sums up old big head perfectly the good and the bad ,if you can get the writers book on the miners strike do so also a great read.

That is not the point I am making. There are those on this forum who still see criticism of Romanov as criticism of HMFC. The point I make is that Romanov is merely the current custodian and Heart of Midlothian in one form or another will still be here when he departs.

In any event, buying a season ticket is not the be all and end all of supporting the club.

I wasn't having a go at you but everyday I see the same old stuff about renewing or not renewing.

However - buying a ST does go along way in showing your support for the club.

I wasn't having a go at you but everyday I see the same old stuff about renewing or not renewing.

However - buying a ST does go along way in showing your support for the club.

Well the 'same old stuff' was clearly missing from this thread, where renewal or otherwise of season tickets wasn't raised until you brought it up.

Well the 'same old stuff' was clearly missing from this thread, where renewal or otherwise of season tickets wasn't raised until you brought it up.

My point is that everyday we are subjected to threads that say your support VR if you buy a ST.

Sorry but I missed the bit where I said this thread was about renewing or not. I said we are subjected to threads about that everyday - I didn't say this thread was one.

I think PTBCAL made a pretty relevant point though. VR is not Hearts, but to some buying a ST to watch Hearts is in some way approval for VR.

Archived