Is The SPL A Better Option Than EPL Reserves?

Gorgieshed

With the way things are financially up here the majority of the better players any SPL team (Celtic excluded) will get in nowadays is a loanee from the EPL.

This route is becoming more and more popular with SPL teams albeit forced upon them. However do you reckon that the EPL clubs/manager see our league as better chance of improving a player rather than keeping them in their own reserves?

EPL teams obviously loan players out in their own country and across top European leagues but usually have a negative attitude to football north of the border. It may not be the best standard but it is certainly a chance for their up and coming players to get competitive football and toughen them up a bit.

I think the way we are heading in the SPL, to survive, majority of teams will be made up mostly of home grown younger players and loaned players from down south (not sure the max of loaned players you can have?), the odd journey man and lot less foreigners. This should hopefully have a better impact on the national team with the younger Scots getting game time more often.

I think the quality of EPL reserves is probably better than the SPL, however first team football can't be underestimated. Higher pressure games provide valuable experience.

That said, I doubt that EPL managers rate the SPL any better than League 1 so I'd guess they are as comfortable with loaning out players to SPL clubs than they are League 1 outfits.

I really wonder why the EPL clubs would send a player up here, the only success that I can think of is Tim Krul becoming a top keeper after being loaned to Falkirk from Newcastle. Any other loanee has either stayed up here or went back to england then dropped down the leagues!

Ruddy was at 'Well and is now in the EPL and the England Squad.

There are some more but not done as well as Ruddy.

Archived