Estate Agent Help

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm looking to rent a flat at the moment and found a great one, despite the estate agents being worse than useless (Is that a job requirement?)

Theyre asking for references, a payslip, photo ID and for some reason a bank statement. I'm not really comfortable with someone having this much information on me. payslip and references I understand but asking for a bank statement? Is that legal? The estate agent in question seems kosher enough, office in Porty albeit with the worlds most useless person dealing with lettings.

On a side note if anyone knows of a 1 bedroom flat prfereably with a garden in Leith that's dog friendly for rent.....

References and photo ID I can understand.

My last place I rented before I bought wanted me to provide a bank statement. I asked why, and they said just to check that I have a sufficient amount in my account to cover 2 months rent.

I don't see why they are asking for a pay slip, it's not as if you are getting a mortgage ffs.

BoJack Horseman

I had the same problem with The Flat Company. I had to go through a guarantor process as being in employment for 4 months wasn't enough for them. They went as far as wanting my Grandmothers driving licence and registration number. I told them to poke it and went with Splendid property who were great. It was all done online, I've never even visited their offices. I figure places that make you jump through hoops to rent from them just aren't worth it. They care more about the landlord than the tenant which puts you on the back foot from the start.

Archived