Electrician advice needed - wonky cooker hob

Boaby Ewing

Boaby Ewing

The 'sparker' (for want of a more technical term) on two of the gas hobs on my oven have both started to go constantly.

Having switched off the electric supply, stripped it a bit and given it a good clean they are still constantly clicking with a little blue electric spark.

Is there a simple way to fix this, or is it a job for a qualified electrician/new oven time?

The spark comes from what looks (to me anyway) like a little white plastic fuse with a wee metal top - opposite it is a little metal cylindrical cone (though when it sparks it seems to connect to the hob itself, rather than using this cone as a conductor).

It's a Neff oven top if that makes any difference.

It normally only sparks when you first turn the gas on (obviously).

Any help/advice much appreciated, as I really don't fancy calling out a London sparky for him to fix it in two minutes, then charge me a couple of hundred.

This is going to sound really daft, but there is any chance you have a battery somewhere in your cooker. Ive got one at the bottom under the oven and when they start to go, I change it and problem should be solved.

If not, I dont know!

Miller Jambo 60
The 'sparker' (for want of a more technical term) on two of the gas hobs on my oven have both started to go constantly.

Having switched off the electric supply, stripped it a bit and given it a good clean they are still constantly clicking with a little blue electric spark.

Is there a simple way to fix this, or is it a job for a qualified electrician/new oven time?

The spark comes from what looks (to me anyway) like a little white plastic fuse with a wee metal top - opposite it is a little metal cylindrical cone (though when it sparks it seems to connect to the hob itself, rather than using this cone as a conductor).

It's a Neff oven top if that makes any difference.

It normally only sparks when you first turn the gas on (obviously).

Any help/advice much appreciated, as I really don't fancy calling out a London sparky for him to fix it in two minutes, then charge me a couple of hundred.

How old is the Hob, probably better replacing it.

Boaby Ewing

Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough there.

When I turned off the electric supply to the oven it stopped sparking, allowing me to clean it etc.

But when I turned the electricity back on, it started up again.

Both hobs are also turned completely off.

Father Tiresias
Sorry guys, I wasn't clear enough there.

When I turned off the electric supply to the oven it stopped sparking, allowing me to clean it etc.

But when I turned the electricity back on, it started up again.

Both hobs are also turned completely off.

Mine does that sometimes. Mrs chizzy sorts it out by cleaning the burners.

Boaby Ewing
Mine does that sometimes. Mrs chizzy sorts it out by cleaning the burners.

She doesn't fancy a weekend in London does she - probably cheaper to fly her down than get an electrician out ;)

I've given it a good clean but it hasn't helped.

Boaby Ewing
How old is the Hob, probably better replacing it.

Couldn't say for certain, my flatmate bought the place less than a year ago and it was already in the flat.

I'd imagine it would be pricey though, it's built into a wooden worktop and the hobs don't look like they can be replaced individually.

If I had to hazard a guess I'd say about five years, as it's a relatively modern aluminium design.

Quick Google search Dave found this

Automatic ignition 'clicks' and 'sparks' non-stopposted by lilconn on Jan 14, 2008Report abuse

the hob is dry, but when the electricity switch is on, the clicking and sparking is non stop.

As far as I can see all the points are clean.

Can you me how to solve it, or does it need a new part ?

Thank you, Lillian Connor

Have the same problem? Click Here

XThis Problem has been added to the Share Your Expertise Page under "My Work Queue".

OKBest Solutionposted on Jan 20, 2008

mackattack

Rating: 96%, 4 votes

switch and spark module,

Comment by mackattack, posted on Jan 20, 2008

order switch, and module

Was this solution helpful? Show your Appreciation by rating it:

Also

HOW CAN I STOP MY GAS HOB IGNITION SPARKING REPEATEDLY?

DIPLOMAT GAS HOB ADP1107 IGNITION SPARKING NON-STOP, REPEATEDLY. SUDDENLY STARTED SPARKING FOR NO APPARENT REASON

DAVID

January 2007

David

My Cannon Chichester did this

It was due to the brass connectors inside the microswitch being bent and permanently touching

The switch sits on the shaft attached to the oven knob. You have to strip the panels to expose the switch. It is quite a simple switch with a front and back plastic casing that comes apart and inside are two brass strips that touch when the knob turns, A concentric plastic washer pushes them together as it turns. They become unseated in the plastic case and just requirewd rearranging. Saved myself a cannon call out fee.

GaryC

February 2007

Dunno if these help?

Boaby Ewing
Also

Dunno if these help?

Cheers Boris, I'd seen the first on my own google hunt but don't have a scooby what it means!

The second one sounds like the problem - alas I can't see anyway of opening it to realign the brass connectors.

Archived