Camping?

chester copperpot

chester copperpot

A complete novice here asking for advice.

My wee lad has been going on about it this week for me to take him camping this summer. I have not got the 1st clue about what to do.

Can any experienced campers out there give any advice. We both have sleeping bags, however dont know if they would stand up to the elements if out camping, as they're more for if we stay over somewhere.

Also campsites, whats the expected rate per night for pitching up a tent, and how much would I expect to pay for a decent tent. Any help greatly appreciated, along with any decent campsites that you've been to. I appreciate that in this day and age of cheap quality hotels, that its kind of a dying hobby, however my son is dead set on doing this, so trying to be a decent dad, want to give him an authentic experience.

This thread kind of shows my laziness when it comes to subjects I do not have a clue about. Rather than do a few hours research on the internet, I ask other people for help. Sums up my life of hotels whenever I've been away from home.

dodethejambo

If your going to be camping in the summer only best bet would be to pick up a cheap tent around ?20-?40, If the sleeping bags you have are for more staying inside I would also take a couple of blankets or duvet just incase, dont forget a pillow

The price of campsites vary all depends on what you are after, ranges from about ?10 a night upto ?20

check out this website for any more info

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

before you do decide to go camping have a trial run by camping in your garden (If you have one)

chester copperpot
If your going to be camping in the summer only best bet would be to pick up a cheap tent around ?20-?40, If the sleeping bags you have are for more staying inside I would also take a couple of blankets or duvet just incase, dont forget a pillow

The price of campsites vary all depends on what you are after, ranges from about ?10 a night upto ?20

check out this website for any more info

http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

before you do decide to go camping have a trial run by camping in your garden (If you have one)

Thanks for the advice Dode. Have got a blow up bed that I can use and chuck a couple of pillows in the back with us.

Never thought about the trial run in the back garden, thats a plan, wont be so much of a problem for me, however it will give the wee man a taste of what to expect before we head off somewhere.

Doctor FinnBarr

Right CC, I won,t even bother with the "camping" gags, but we,ve been taking daughter camping since she was 3 month old and as long as you,ve got half decent gear you,ll be okay. Tents and sleeping bags you,ll get quite cheap from the likes of Argus, Tesco, Asda. For weekends we use a 4 man job from Tesco that cost about ?27 and its into its 3rd year now.The one thing that you will find a godsend is airbeds from Argos but buy an electric pump too, fits into the car fag lighter or snip the end off and attach crocodile clips for your battery.

Campsite fees vary depending on facilities but it can be anything between ?5 and ?15 per tent per night. I can,t tell you too much about campsites tho as its mostly bike rallies that we go to, but one that we do visit for the odd weekend is Rosetta (I think) in Peebles. Not too far away and theres a boozer on site!

Enjoy.

;)

chester copperpot
Right CC, I won,t even bother with the "camping" gags, but we,ve been taking daughter camping since she was 3 month old and as long as you,ve got half decent gear you,ll be okay. Tents and sleeping bags you,ll get quite cheap from the likes of Argus, Tesco, Asda. For weekends we use a 4 man job from Tesco that cost about ?27 and its into its 3rd year now.The one thing that you will find a godsend is airbeds from Argos but buy an electric pump too, fits into the car fag lighter or snip the end off and attach crocodile clips for your battery.

Campsite fees vary depending on facilities but it can be anything between ?5 and ?15 per tent per night. I can,t tell you too much about campsites tho as its mostly bike rallies that we go to, but one that we do visit for the odd weekend is Rosetta (I think) in Peebles. Not too far away and theres a boozer on site!

Enjoy.

;)

Thanks very much, this is just the sort of info that I need. I already have a blow up double airbed due to spending a lot of my week nights staying at my sisters, so that's one thing off the list. TBH, It's only really the Tent that I'm needing to get, and then we should be good to go.

Will give the back garden a bash this friday night with the wee man, and see where we go from there.

Campsites are the main thing. Do they have toilets and showers etc. Haven't been to a campsite/caravan site for many a year?

http://www.incallander.co.uk/caravan.htm Aberfoyle near loch tay is a top spot, loads to do in terms of fishing hiring boats, nature walks etc etc etc

The brickie in fife is good aswell.Lots to do including recovering dead bodies oot the loch, getting chased af the local inbred neds and cooking 3 foot water rats on the bbq!

Doctor FinnBarr
Thanks very much, this is just the sort of info that I need. I already have a blow up double airbed due to spending a lot of my week nights staying at my sisters, so that's one thing off the list. TBH, It's only really the Tent that I'm needing to get, and then we should be good to go.

Will give the back garden a bash this friday night with the wee man, and see where we go from there.

Campsites are the main thing. Do they have toilets and showers etc. Haven't been to a campsite/caravan site for many a year?

All have bogs now due to European legislation, and most have showers.

:rolleyes:

chester copperpot
The brickie in fife is good aswell.Lots to do including recovering dead bodies oot the loch, getting chased af the local inbred neds and cooking 3 foot water rats on the bbq!

Sounds right down this weegie's alley that one.

chester copperpot
All have bogs now due to European legislation, and most have showers.

:rolleyes:

whoo hoo!

Edinburgh JT

Was camping for a few days last summer in Germany so can give you a few tips:

- When it comes to your tent go to tisos or one of the outdoor shops like that. Still just as cheap as the ones in the super markets but you'll be able to get excellent advice from the guys in the shop.

- As already stated definitely take a matress or at least a roll up ground mat (also available in these outdoor shops for reasonable prices).

- Just remembered...when it comes to the tent make sure it has two layers so that if it rains you don't get wet. These two layer tents are also good for keeping bugs etc... out! I think the one I got was about ?40 and was two man, double layered with a storage porch area. It also survived going through baggage at Edinburgh and Hamburg airport!

- Also (this point depends on where your going but..) even if its somewhere warm you are camping it will still get bloody freezing at night so take warm jumpers etc... for at night.

This is turning into an essay I know but bear with me...

- Torches are very handy again at night if you don't want the hassle of lighting fires or for when you have to go to the toilet in the night.

Thats all that springs to mind right now and as for your question about toilets and showers; the place I was had them and I'm sure most campsites would at least have toilets. Hope that helps.

There's a great book out at the moment called Cool Camping.

Has info on loads of great campsites in Scotland.

Camping equipment is the sort of thing - like cameras - where you can basically spend whatever you want. Cheap tents available in Tesco will do a good job for occassional nights away. Or you can spend more at Tiso for huge tents with separate rooms etc. One tip, make sure you get some insulating carrymats to sleep on.

Bacon rolls in the morning cooked outside the tent might just be the finest grub in the world ... my favourite night camping was at Bryce Canyon in Utah - bacon rolls were cooked and eaten watching the sun come up over Bryce ...

funktasticlad

The place i'm thinking of is Kenmore not Aberfoyle. The campsite in question is top. Been there a few times most memerable was when Rankgers played Parma in Europe with a certain Anti Niemi in goals for the gers, watched it in the pub which is on the site also has a golf coarse and in the summer the pub/restaurant has live bands on. anyway heres the place i'm on about.

http://www.multimap.com/maps/?hloc=GB|loch%20tay#map=56.59069,-3.98529|14|32&loc=GB:56.5878:-3.9967:14|loch%20tay|

Links no working so go to multimap.com and type in Loch Tay Kenmore and you'll see where i mean.

Dont buy a tent bro speak to Will as he and Kenny quite often go all night fishing and have most of the gear! Will speak to you when you come round tomorrow.

I also let the kids camp in the back garden in the summer its great as they feel like they are actually camping!

chester copperpot
Was camping for a few days last summer in Germany so can give you a few tips:

- When it comes to your tent go to tisos or one of the outdoor shops like that. Still just as cheap as the ones in the super markets but you'll be able to get excellent advice from the guys in the shop.

- As already stated definitely take a matress or at least a roll up ground mat (also available in these outdoor shops for reasonable prices).

- Just remembered...when it comes to the tent make sure it has two layers so that if it rains you don't get wet. These two layer tents are also good for keeping bugs etc... out! I think the one I got was about ?40 and was two man, double layered with a storage porch area. It also survived going through baggage at Edinburgh and Hamburg airport!

- Also (this point depends on where your going but..) even if its somewhere warm you are camping it will still get bloody freezing at night so take warm jumpers etc... for at night.

This is turning into an essay I know but bear with me...

- Torches are very handy again at night if you don't want the hassle of lighting fires or for when you have to go to the toilet in the night.

Thats all that springs to mind right now and as for your question about toilets and showers; the place I was had them and I'm sure most campsites would at least have toilets. Hope that helps.

Cheers. Great tips in there. Anyone else.

chester copperpot
There's a great book out at the moment called Cool Camping.

Has info on loads of great campsites in Scotland.

Camping equipment is the sort of thing - like cameras - where you can basically spend whatever you want. Cheap tents available in Tesco will do a good job for occassional nights away. Or you can spend more at Tiso for huge tents with separate rooms etc. One tip, make sure you get some insulating carrymats to sleep on.

Bacon rolls in the morning cooked outside the tent might just be the finest grub in the world ... my favourite night camping was at Bryce Canyon in Utah - bacon rolls were cooked and eaten watching the sun come up over Bryce ...

I rememeber going camping down in Ipswich with my dad when I was younger when we used to follow the Stock Car racing, and the smell of bacon being cooked on one of those wee gas stoves was just out of this world.

chester copperpot
Dont buy a tent bro speak to Will as he and Kenny quite often go all night fishing and have most of the gear! Will speak to you when you come round tomorrow.

I also let the kids camp in the back garden in the summer its great as they feel like they are actually camping!

already asked him shell, he said he'd be able to get me one, but that it wouldn't be clean.

would rather get one for about 40 quid than sleep in a teenagers one that has loads of mysterious stains in it.:o

Take him to Mortonhall. Then, if he hates it, you can drive home in about 20 minutes.

But seriously, the Campsite in Glen Nevis (if it's nice weather) has some amazing views. I'd recommend you head there if you've got the time.

already asked him shell, he said he'd be able to get me one, but that it wouldn't be clean.

would rather get one for about 40 quid than sleep in a teenagers one that has loads of mysterious stains in it.:o

Ok fair enough, we had a couple kicking about the hut at one time but suppose for ?20 quid its not gonna break the bank.

chester copperpot
Ok fair enough, we had a couple kicking about the hut at one time but suppose for ?20 quid its not gonna break the bank.

you've no seen my finances of late :eek:

you've no seen my finances of late :eek:

Cool got electricity in there now so I guess its hunt the tent tomorrow evening then ;);)

A good tip for keeping warm at night is to get sooo drunk you won,t wake up to feel it!

:confused:

Or take the bird as i done a few weeks ago and pump her senseless!!

chester copperpot
A good tip for keeping warm at night is to get sooo drunk you won,t wake up to feel it!

:confused:

That would normally be a plan, but seen as it would just be me and the wee lad, dont fancy being away from home, blind drunk responsible for a 6 year old. Tried to convince his mother along for the journey, but think she could see through my plan for the alcohol and diminished responsibility ;)

That would normally be a plan, but seen as it would just be me and the wee lad, dont fancy being away from home, blind drunk responsible for a 6 year old. Tried to convince his mother along for the journey, but think she could see through my plan for the alcohol and diminished responsibility ;)

Do you remember the campsite Drone Hill? We went for a week, rained buckets every day , left mum hanging on to the tent in the gales to go buy chips in Dunbar, came back and dad hired a caravan for the rest of the week. Camping is great fun in the rain;);)

Buy a cheap car battery and a couple of small 12v fluorescent strip lights with crocodile clips. It's safer and cheaper (in the long run) than gas lamps (still buy a wee torch for those midnight trips for a pee). One should give plenty enough light for the wee man to read his comics by at night.

Get plenty of insect repellent.

Era Macaroons

might seem obvious but take him somewhere where u can build your own campfire...the jewel in the crown of camping.

you will then be the best dad in the world

dodethejambo

Another tip is to take 'glow sticks', if the bairn has a night-light in his room it will work the same.

chester copperpot
Another tip is to take 'glow sticks', if the bairn has a night-light in his room it will work the same.

Jeez, Im taking him camping, no to a rave.

The campfire thing is a plan too, we can roast some sausages and stuff on it for our tea. Hopefully we'll get the weather for it too.

chester copperpot

Get plenty of insect repellent.

Good idea, as the midges seem to love feasting on my wee lads ears. He always comes in at night complaining of his ears getting bitten by the wee critters.

I dunno if my focus will fit in all this stuff but still thanks for all the advice folks. Been wanting to do some outdoor activities for a while now, think this may help the both of us relax over the summer months.

The campfire thing is a plan too, we can roast some sausages and stuff on it for our tea. Hopefully we'll get the weather for it too.

Don't forget the marshmallows.

don't know when you were last at Kenmore but there has been no camping there for a good 6 years. my dad has a static there and it is all very upmarket these days. the bar you are talking about is all changed and there is a snobby new bistro. also lots of log cabin and houses on site now which start at astronomical prices and have hot tubs on there balconies. aberfeldy is just six miles along the road though and is a good site.

andy i have been going away with the boys for our annual fathers bonding weekend for four years now. we go to strathyre at callander every year and have a great laugh. throw away bar-b-cues for breakfast and lunch and then along to the local hotel for cheap bar suppers. back to campsite kids get settled by about 10pm (fresh air tires them all out) and the dads continue the drink sesh into the wee hours sitting in the pitch black chewing the fat (don't forget midge repellent). would advise you seek a mate or two to go with as it will be pretty boring sitting drinking at night if you only have the wee felly for company.

faskally near pitlochry is another good site with loads to do nearby.

airbed is a must i tried without first year and was in agony for days, also spend ?25-30 for a decent summer bag and the tents are a doddle to put up after a few attempts, and don't forget a fold up chair to sit on at night

chester copperpot
don't know when you were last at Kenmore but there has been no camping there for a good 6 years. my dad has a static there and it is all very upmarket these days. the bar you are talking about is all changed and there is a snobby new bistro. also lots of log cabin and houses on site now which start at astronomical prices and have hot tubs on there balconies. aberfeldy is just six miles along the road though and is a good site.

andy i have been going away with the boys for our annual fathers bonding weekend for four years now. we go to strathyre at callander every year and have a great laugh. throw away bar-b-cues for breakfast and lunch and then along to the local hotel for cheap bar suppers. back to campsite kids get settled by about 10pm (fresh air tires them all out) and the dads continue the drink sesh into the wee hours sitting in the pitch black chewing the fat (don't forget midge repellent). would advise you seek a mate or two to go with as it will be pretty boring sitting drinking at night if you only have the wee felly for company.

faskally near pitlochry is another good site with loads to do nearby.

airbed is a must i tried without first year and was in agony for days, also spend ?25-30 for a decent summer bag and the tents are a doddle to put up after a few attempts, and don't forget a fold up chair to sit on at night

Cheers Mike.

Have been to Strathyre twice now, but each time we've hired a log cabin, as have never fancied the tent thing until now (still dont but we need to make sacrificies for our kids eh?).

That might be a plan, might take along my 2 nephews with me, as one's nearly 18 and would be good company to keep, the other one's 14 and he would just muck about with the wee man.

Didn't think about going camping with friends, but now that you mention it, its a cracking idea, and far less boring a scenario for me to have to deal with at night.

see if you look up at the top of this thread you will see some great deals on camping Equipment. Ads by Google

The Old Tolbooth

Enjoy.

;)

I think the "pub on site" sold it mate :D

The Old Tolbooth
Or take the bird as i done a few weeks ago and pump her senseless!!

You pumped Jambobikers burd senseless on a campsite???? :eek:

there have been up to 18 of us including kids at strathyre and the same woman is at the hotel every year. when we arrive there she tells us to go through to the bar and have a few pints and she sorts the kids out with there tea, it's magic. only stipulation we have is that kids must have attained the age of 5 to be allowed to go. unfortunatley i have to take both mine now but they are no bother and run about like idiots all day getting as filthy as is possible. we were even swimming in the river last year. apparently the kids don't feel the cold but i can assure you it was baltic. strathyre also good cause they put us in the corner where we don't cause any disturbance to the caravans. think you should get tom to go to. i can see you pair putting the world to rights with a litre of vodka under the stars

there have been up to 18 of us including kids at strathyre and the same woman is at the hotel every year. when we arrive there she tells us to go through to the bar and have a few pints and she sorts the kids out with there tea, it's magic. only stipulation we have is that kids must have attained the age of 5 to be allowed to go. unfortunatley i have to take both mine now but they are no bother and run about like idiots all day getting as filthy as is possible. we were even swimming in the river last year. apparently the kids don't feel the cold but i can assure you it was baltic. strathyre also good cause they put us in the corner where we don't cause any disturbance to the caravans. think you should get tom to go to. i can see you pair putting the world to rights with a litre of vodka under the stars

Cheers m8 will need to look in to this ( when is you go) so we can avoid when your there!!!!!!!!!

chester copperpot
Cheers m8 will need to look in to this ( when is you go) so we can avoid when your there!!!!!!!!!

You wanting to come on my camping trip then.

1 stipulation, you are not taking your missus with you, it will be lads only.

andrewjambo

Best campsite i've been to -

http://www.redsquirrelcampsite.com/

Couple of hours dive from central belt thru some of the best scenery. Laidback campsite beside river in middle of glen coe - cracking views of huge mountain ranges. The best part for me is that they encourage you to enjoy a campfire and even sell firewood though its great fun collecting it in the woods - my girlfriend ventured into wood at 2am for more wood last time we were there. You can set the fire up on the riverbank if you want or under the trees in case it rains. Facilities aren't great -old portakabin toilet block but location more than makes up for it. There is a cracking pub 2 miles walk up country road.

For the wee man - the campsite was used by the crew of the harry potter fims when they were filming on location in glencoe and they installed water taps in some of trees.

Pete Seeger
http://www.incallander.co.uk/caravan.htm Aberfoyle near loch tay is a top spot, loads to do in terms of fishing hiring boats, nature walks etc etc etc

Aberfoyle isn't near Loch Tay. It's near Loch Katrine and Loch Ard? Plenty of campsites up this way though. And if you fancy going a half an hour up the road from Callander You will find Killin and Loch Tay. Nicer down here though imo

You wanting to come on my camping trip then.

1 stipulation, you are not taking your missus with you, it will be lads only.

I dont wanna go anyways!!!! Maybe I will have a girly weekend when you lot are oot my hair. When is it so I can start making plans????:)

Miller Jambo 60

Andy will loan you my 3 man tent ,double stove and a good torch.

Remember to go when the weathers better as its too damp the now.

And your big sleeping bag they come in specs from -20d C to +20d C.

chester copperpot
I dont wanna go anyways!!!! Maybe I will have a girly weekend when you lot are oot my hair. When is it so I can start making plans????:)

Still in the embryonic stage doll, will need to be nearer the summertime.

Archived