Was that worse than watching Stephen Frail's Hearts?

Deodato

JKB,

Okay so not a regular this season, but some things need to be said:

1. Hoof-ball by default, passing being the exception. And bad hoof-ball too - often clearing it into no-mans land, or directly to a Hibs player.

2. Resorting to the touchline to gain yards, akin to rugby and kicking for touch - giving up on passing down the middle and hoping for a throw in

3. Off the ball movement minimal - especially Stevenson who I was really disappointed in. Sometimes, he was a statue.

I sat through the entire Stephen Frail season and it was painful, That was as bad, if not worse.

I know the clubs in financial trouble but sometimes you wonder how much game is in the game. Hearts click when you have two good Centre Backs and a midfield play maker. We have Webster and Zal, we don't have a Hartley or Bruno. In today's SPL, we won't go down - and we might even put in a chase for Europa football - but seriously, that was utter pesh from professional footballers. Meadows + at best.

Young promising players will not improve with that approach to the game, at all.

Deodato.

I've never enjoyed watching Hearts less than this season. And that's including the Tommy McLean season where we almost got relegated.

We're not pretty to watch. But I never thought we would be this season. As Toadkiller Dog said, there's more fight with this lot. These are hard times but I'm confident that the players are putting in a shift, by and large.

Libertonian_II

JKB,

Okay so not a regular this season, but some things need to be said:

1. Hoof-ball by default, passing being the exception. And bad hoof-ball too - often clearing it into no-mans land, or directly to a Hibs player.

2. Resorting to the touchline to gain yards, akin to rugby and kicking for touch - giving up on passing down the middle and hoping for a throw in

3. Off the ball movement minimal - especially Stevenson who I was really disappointed in. Sometimes, he was a statue.

I sat through the entire Stephen Frail season and it was painful, That was as bad, if not worse.

I know the clubs in financial trouble but sometimes you wonder how much game is in the game. Hearts click when you have two good Centre Backs and a midfield play maker. We have Webster and Zal, we don't have a Hartley or Bruno. In today's SPL, we won't go down - and we might even put in a chase for Europa football - but seriously, that was utter pesh from professional footballers. Meadows + at best.

Young promising players will not improve with that approach to the game, at all.

Deodato.

You don't gave to be a genius to realise that the quality of player is less than what it was in the recent past but maybe if you visited a wee bit more often you might have noticed that we have only signed 2 players in two seasons while shipping out anyone who is half decent. Of course standards are slipping but Frail had much better to manage.

Maybe you should stick to watching football in the meadows instead of having a whinge on here

scots civil war

mc squirm overlooking the distribution from the back was ******* criminal,shocking stuff that was from zal

mcsquirm overlooking the corners failing time and time again

mcsquirm not playing holt from the start

mcsquirm not playing gordon smith

mcsquirm obviously didnt know that potentially the whole of the uk was watching the `football` game,playing 451

Harry Palmer

Did Frail ever beat Hibs?

Was he in charge of the 1-0 win in January 2008?

Velicka header and Makalamity pawing it over the line....

I've never enjoyed watching Hearts less than this season. And that's including the Tommy McLean season where we almost got relegated.

I've watched hearts for over 40 years and this one of the worst seasons for an awfful long time

manager and dof must go

Libertonian_II

I've watched hearts for over 40 years and this one of the worst seasons for an awfful long time

manager and dof must go

Seriously?

Yer long term memory is clearly suffering....

Awful stuff from McGlynn yet again. The thing that amazes me is how he refuses to learn from his mistakes. 4-5-1 has not worked in the 2 previous encounters at Easter Road this season. Yet he continues to persist with it. Hibs again were there for the taking tonight. Why does MgLynn refuse to take a chance a play some one else up front alongside Sutton. I am actually beginning to hate the man.

Why did he play Scott Robinson tonight when young Holt was sitting on the bench? Holt is twice the player of Robinson.

manager and dof must go

More reek.

chuck berrys hairline

I thought robinson played well the first half showed great commitment and desire in the tackle although his distribution isn't the best. Was disappointed with holts chance should have stuck it in the other corner although that will come with experience. Frails hearts were worse for me because the standard of player is like night and day compared to the current squad. For some reason i think things will come good second half of the season! Tin hat on.

Seriously?

Yer long term memory is clearly suffering....

My thought too, the relegation years were not much fun -losing at home to East stirling, Forfar and the like? This team are fighting like hell in a SPL of a poor standard

I'm missing the point when our decimated squad magically turned into world beaters.

It was apparently conceded on here by the top boys who hold court that we must keep HMFC alive whilst acknowledging that players would go and that we'd all have to dig deep to support the club.

Yet on a night where we had 68% possession in the match and played with a makeshift side; fielding 5 youth players against a hubs team who blasted the ball up to thumb at every opportunity (who registered 1shot on goal all night), the last 15 mins of which we battered them and were very unlucky not to score... we were pish?!

Way to get behind the team.

Personally I thought the lads did very well.

We coped without McGowan, Webster, Grainger and Hammill against the fourth placed team, who just beat the league leaders... who turned us over with ease.

In a difficult period, I think tonight was a positive and while I aknowledge their hubs and we should beat em with ease, they are a better side this season and we aren't... but there are definite signs of improvement, on a budget.

Plus our league record v them is still intact.

Not a total disaster then!

;-)

BRAVEHEART1874

First half was terrible long balls aimless hoofs but we were still the better team second half better but when are we going to capitalise on all these corners ! nearly ever single one was to the back post and match summary - yet again I can't believe no one scored ! on the plus side holt played well and hibs were pish :)

Did Frail ever beat Hibs?

Was in charge when we spoilt their cup party and Zal got the winner!

:-)

We dumped half of our team last summer, including the manager. We're adjusting to a new financial reality. We're a team in transition.

Despite all of that, we were the better team tonight.

Keep the faith.

when the line up was getting read out at the start of the game the cheers got quieter and quieter as everyone realised that we don't have a single match winner in the squad, players like Suso, Templeton, Beattie, Kyle, Rudi and Black used to thrive on pressure, the current batch just try to get the ball back to the keeper whenever they can

I reckon it was a decent game from those involved

Mcdonald - few good saves

Barr - did the job

Zal - Showed composure

Gowser - THE MAN

Mchattie - solid game

Mehdi - I really do not like him, but he played well and actually got a little physical

Robinson - played well

Stevo - Commited

Driver - Fantastic, although 10 corners and nothing? bit disapointing in that respect

Sutton - NEEDS A PARTNER.

Novi - Not a physical player needs to become one, claros pretty much chucked him off the ball

Holt- really good again, making me excited for next season

Walker - as of above

Our problem came down purely to sutton not having a partner

Our problem came down purely to sutton not having a partner

Not sure about that. Holt, Driver, Stevenson and Sutton ALL should have scored.

Tonight I dont think you can blame the approach (tactics) - it was the execution that let us down

Harry Palmer

2005/06 was seven seasons ago.

Deal with it.

But I still cry when I think about Burley getting sacked.....

How will I ever get over that? :(

Haha! Frail!

McGlynn is the worst manager in my lifetime. He surpassed Mclean tonight.

Surpassed in that I've never actually wanted a Hearts manager to come to physical harm.

Well done McGlynn.

Hamster baws managed to beat the Shite......this buffoon hasn't.

Good result according to McGlynn. "We didn't let them win".

Unbelievable that ****s on here moaned when Romanov picked teams that messed these mutants.

Don't think we're anywhere near as bad as under Frail. Desperately in need of a goal scorer -there's an old refrain- but apart from that, have basis of half decent team.

Guest C00l K1d

Good result according to McGlynn. "We didn't let them win".

Unbelievable that ****s on here moaned when Romanov picked teams that messed these mutants.

He sets his teams up against hibs like leveins scotland.

Ken a lot of people were saying last night 'ock well a draws a good result at the moment'

When the feck did no beating these choobs become acceptable

By the light

Personally think McGlynn did the right thing tonight reverting to 4-5-1 with the players at his disposal. He was probably a bit concerned about leaving McGowan exposed so wanted to give him a bit extra protection from the midfield. Webster is a huge player for us in these games, add in the fact Grainger and Hamill weren't playing I think it was cautious but worthwhile. We did enough to win that game.

The pattern of that match had more to do with Fenlon's decision to park the bus and Frustrate us for most of the game than any decision of McGlynn's

I think Frail was worse to be honest.

His "the players are buzzing in training" pre-game chat followed by "we're all hurting" after every defeat used to make me want to punch him.

He was the worst manager i've ever seen.

Since when does having a depleted squad an excuse to play some of the worst football imagineable. Poor results and performances can be excused. But watching rubbish for 90 minutes every, single week . . . there is more to that than having a depleted squad.

tartofmidlothian

I prefer John McGlynn's Hearts to Stevie Frail's. Although I believe McGlynn has more dedicated, committed players in his side and a bit more freedom to pick the team.

4-5-1 Does not suit hoof ball, if Sutton was to win anything who the hell was he going to flick it onto?

It was not football we watched last night, it was a battle.

I would have respected McGlynn even the tinniest amount had he gone for the 442 that seemed to be creating chances for us to score goals recently, sometimes you don't even need to win a midfield battle, all you need is players to support each other when in attack, having a winger to hit 2 targets rather than one, strangely enough increases the odds of something hitting the target.

We still at this moment in time have players who can pass the ball to each other on the deck, we do not however have the players for a 451 to be successful you play with the cards you are dealt with and adjust accordingly.

Seymour M Hersh

But I still cry when I think about Burley getting sacked.....

How will I ever get over that? :(

Vodka, and lots of it!! :devilish:

Generic Username

Blatantly the biggest problem is we just don't seem to be able to put the ball in the pokey.

We can put pressure on team and move the ball around relatively well, dragging the play over from side to side, we've got a man upfront who can handle a long banger getting hit towards him now and again but we lack that ability to cut a team open or create a clear cut oppertunity. We get 25/30 yards from goal and we suddenly have no idea what to do or just stop moving the ball as quickly as we had done previously.

For all that possession and the number of corners we had last night, to only end up with two shots actually on target, I'll say that again - TWO SHOTS ON TARGET - just isn't good enough.

Whether you put that down to the manager, the tactics, the players, whatever, that's up to you but for me the most frustrating thing this season is having the feeling pre match that we're not going to create a lot of chances or feel confident of us really taking the game to a team.

We weren't awful last night and I'd say we've played alright, in parts, throughout the season but it's just alright. It's never been any better than that. It's certainly been worse at times but we just can't find that cutting edge to our play and it's incredibly frustrating.

Hearts were an utter shambles during Frail's tenure. But we usually didn't have any problem scoring goals, we just couldn't defend. The guy behind my season ticket seat at the time used to spend all game screaming at Goncalves to get closer to his winger, as Jose was forever drifting into an almost centre half position.

There was of course the infamous 'no right back' game against United, where Ibby Tall got sent off in the first half and Frail/Korobochka didn't have the tactical nous/permission to alter the formation leading to un-opposed Barry Robson helping himself to a hattrick.

Guest Dipped Flake

Blatantly the biggest problem is we just don't seem to be able to put the ball in the pokey.

We can put pressure on team and move the ball around relatively well, dragging the play over from side to side, we've got a man upfront who can handle a long banger getting hit towards him now and again but we lack that ability to cut a team open or create a clear cut oppertunity. We get 25/30 yards from goal and we suddenly have no idea what to do or just stop moving the ball as quickly as we had done previously.

For all that possession and the number of corners we had last night, to only end up with two shots actually on target, I'll say that again - TWO SHOTS ON TARGET - just isn't good enough.

Whether you put that down to the manager, the tactics, the players, whatever, that's up to you but for me the most frustrating thing this season is having the feeling pre match that we're not going to create a lot of chances or feel confident of us really taking the game to a team.

We weren't awful last night and I'd say we've played alright, in parts, throughout the season but it's just alright. It's never been any better than that. It's certainly been worse at times but we just can't find that cutting edge to our play and it's incredibly frustrating.

Stopped reading this thread after the first few predictable posts then skipped to the end and found some sanity.

As you say our main problem is scoring, or even trying to shoot. Not sure what other fans are watching but I'm enjoying this season as I see the younger lads coming through and doing well. I thought Dylan McGowan had a great game last night, and Holt, Walker and Paterson all made an impact when they came on. Holt, in particular, looks the real deal.

The bottom line is - A wee bit of a break in front of goal last night and we'd have been sitting here singing McGlynn's praises, and delighted with another 3 or 4-0 smashing of them. We might not be pretty to watch, but, minus a couple of seasons here-and-there, have we ever been? I'm not so sure. Leaving Tynecastle last night I was disappointed we never won, however, I'm very encouraged with the level of youth players coming through. Young McHattie is growing in confidence each game, Gowser looked like he'd been playing there for years, Jamie Walker did well when he came on, Calum Paterson also caused problems, but the real prospect for me is Jason Holt. This lad came on last night and played "Football", his movement and ability to find pockets of space was great to watch and he was unlucky with his chance. Our financial problems have forced us to play young players, and I'm all for that, because these young players have been brought up to play the game the right way, and I have a feeling we may well be treated to that in the next few years with the emergence of more players from the U20's. Here's hoping anyway!

I'm not going to sit here and tell other people how to support their team, but I will make a suggestion - Get behind the manager and the young lads that, IMO, will take this club forward.

Gregory House M.D.

Hearts in the league last season is the most boring and eyebleeding I've ever seen us but each to their own.

The White Cockade

Hearts in the league last season is the most boring and eyebleeding I've ever seen us but each to their own.

This

We re last year's team minus some important players and Rudi's goals

we were just as boring last year with a far stronger squad and Rudi's goals dug us out of a hole

Still the haters must hate I suppose....

Which opens up the thread to include JJ and Sergio!

My own humble take on this season is that we knew it was coming....they told us it would be tough but a better manager would have defo got more out of them.But.....we've got what we've got for the reason given above!

I'm missing the point when our decimated squad magically turned into world beaters.

It was apparently conceded on here by the top boys who hold court that we must keep HMFC alive whilst acknowledging that players would go and that we'd all have to dig deep to support the club.

Yet on a night where we had 68% possession in the match and played with a makeshift side; fielding 5 youth players against a hubs team who blasted the ball up to thumb at every opportunity (who registered 1shot on goal all night), the last 15 mins of which we battered them and were very unlucky not to score... we were pish?!

Way to get behind the team.

Personally I thought the lads did very well.

We coped without McGowan, Webster, Grainger and Hammill against the fourth placed team, who just beat the league leaders... who turned us over with ease.

In a difficult period, I think tonight was a positive and while I aknowledge their hubs and we should beat em with ease, they are a better side this season and we aren't... but there are definite signs of improvement, on a budget.

Plus our league record v them is still intact.

Not a total disaster then!

;-)

Agree with this. Thought we played pretty well tonight. Quality is never at the forefront in a Derby game. That wasn't helped by the fact that the ref seemingly didn't want to book any Hibs players. Whenever they got done they were happy to foul the player with no punishment other than the freekick.

Reality is that anyone who is on decent money will be going at some point and if that means McHattie, Patterson, Walker, Robinson, Smith, Holt etc are going to be the mainstay for the rest of this season and next I am ok with that.

All in all I thought the players were pretty good and the only disappointing thing was that we didn't score from the 4 excellent chances that we had.

Hibs were celebrating like they had won and whinging about Stevensons tackle and claiming Doyle should have won it. Fact was they were played of the park by us.

Fans need to get a serious reality check. Just over a month ago we were no longer going to be and now we draw at home to Hibs having played pretty well and it's the worst team in history and no better than the Meadows. Well why don't you go and find some stars down the Meadows and sign them up?

Archived