Our Set-pieces (Merged Threads)

Chad Sexington

Chad Sexington

Utterly woeful.

About a dozen corners and barely a decent opportunity to come out of any of them. Each one more predicable than the last.

The way Driver runs up to hit the ball sums it up, it's almost as if he considers getting it in to the 18 yard box a success.

Regular John

Driver's were hopeless, vast improvement with them when Walker came on.

I don't think Walker's ready for first team football yet though.

Sexton Hardcastle

The sad thing is we are missing Graingers equally poor, yet better, deliveries.

Needs sorted.

Disser Pointon

Twelve corners to one and they looked more like scoring from their one. Only when walker came on did we put a half decent ball in. Howe long have we been saying this????!!!!!

Walker's deliveries were exactly what you need - fired into a dangerous area with a lot of pace on it.

Driver just sort of floats corners into the vague direction of the penalty area so 9 times out of 10 it's easy for the keeper to collect or the defenders to head away. For the record, I thought he had a decent match tonight - his corners were honking though.

Although Griffiths did sweet FA tonight, when Hibs got a free kick/corner I always felt a bit edgy as his deliveries are so much superior to most of our players. Whereas when we got a corner I was almost at the stage I'd rather we'd had a throw-in.

Was actually bricking it when the thumb had a couple of opportunities to blast it in rather than our floaty BS, smash it into the box always a great chance it will fall kindly or ricochet off and opposition player.

Driver and Novi are as bad as each other. Every one is beyond the back post to nobody.

And Stevenson's free kicks, straight into the wall.

Geoff Kilpatrick

These are the sorts of things that should be worked on in training until they get it right. It isn't rocket science.

RealMaroonCF

I can take corners. Every f*&%$$.n hearts player cant. Same as free kicks, absolute joke. Lets get someone who can do these jobs on the field. Plenty chances EVERY game guaranteed.

Get it sorted!!!

Jambo Hoggie

Driver needs to stop taking corners, near enough everyone of them were way past the back post.

Put the fecking laces through the ball. Any mug can float the ball into the box but that meat and tatties to goalies and defenders. Fire it in at pace and things happen.

If we had one decent set piece taker we'd have won today....and would most likely be higher up the league! We constantly over hit crosses but never stick someone at the back to head back across goal!!

Jamie walker had a couple of good ones. Driver and Novi need to have a look at themselves.

As I said on another thread, powered in 2/3 excellent corners with PACE. One of which nearly got us the goal. Very impressed with Walker and Holt when they came on.

HeartsForever

I would really love for Hearts to take inswinging corners rather than chipped, no pace, back spin balls over everyones heads. It's almost a disadvantage when we get corners as we struggle to get a shot in & are open for counter attacks. They need to change this and soon.

Also with free kicks, get wee McHattie on them to deliver some much needed whip & accuracy, get it in the danger areas, PLEASE!!!

Agree we should be trying something new; Driver in particular dosen't seem to have the ability/confidence to find men in the box. We have the players to score if the delivery can be improved and as open play isn't exactly giving us a lot of joy set pieces could be an important source of goals.

BRAVEHEART1874

Something certainly needs done we always get lots of corners and do naff all and today nearly all went to the back and surprise Stevo hit the wall yet again with a free kick :(

Do we practise any set peices!?? Corners, free kicks & throw ins all seem to be crap! Am not a fan of short corners but need to try something differant. the amount of times we had a throw in but no one was trying to make space. I've no seen the game back so just going from memory from todays game. But set peices frustrate me. Am happy to be told am wrong :-)

Do we practise any set peices!?? Corners, free kicks & throw ins all seem to be crap! Am not a fan of short corners but need to try something differant. the amount of times we had a throw in but no one was trying to make space. I've no seen the game back so just going from memory from todays game. But set peices frustrate me. Am happy to be told am wrong :-

I agree with you mate... Theres just no movement even when we get throw in's everyone just stands still we've not got a clue. We must be working on set pieces at training??

To be fair, about a month ago we were. Just they were never beating the first man.

I think the floaters are better than hitting the first man

From the number of set pieces we had last night, we created 1 chance and that was in the last minute of the game!

These high floated balls to the back post do not work and half the time the ball floats over every1 in the box and goes straight out of play!

You would think from the number of corners we have been getting that it would be something that the players should be working on?

From the number of set pieces we had last night, we created 1 chance and that was in the last minute of the game!

These high floated balls to the back post do not work and half the time the ball floats over every1 in the box and goes straight out of play!

You would think from the number of corners we have been getting that it would be something that the players should be working on?

You begin to wonder if the pitch they practice on is wider than Tynie, so many corners are over hit.

Our set pieces were embarrassing. We had a ridiculous amount of corner, particularly in the second half and they were all woeful until Jamie Walker came on. Why Driver was allowed to keep taking them in beyond me. Stevenson should have been taking some in swinging corners then McHattie from the other side with in swingers. I know Novikovas took a few too, but his weren't much better. Makes you wonder if we even work on them in training. Every corner Driver put in was far too deep, just so frustrating to watch. Hibs are awful yet we still fail to score.

Makes you wonder if we even work on them in training.

Makes you wonder what they actually do in training?

What we miss is the ian black style corners where the ball was drilled into the box with plenty pace and at a decent height that players could actually attack the ball!

I would really love for Hearts to take inswinging corners rather than chipped, no pace, back spin balls over everyones heads. It's almost a disadvantage when we get corners as we struggle to get a shot in & are open for counter attacks. They need to change this and soon.

Also with free kicks, get wee McHattie on them to deliver some much needed whip & accuracy, get it in the danger areas, PLEASE!!!

14 corners and one header against the bar to show for it says it all, the other 13 we're floated balls to no one.

If I was managing a side against Hearts, I would instruct my team to commit niggly fouls around the box and put the ball out for corners. Guaranteed clean sheet.

Our corners have been terrible all year, but it was very obvious last night given the number we had. It seems the tactic is just to float it into the box and try and win a header, which has a success rate of about 1 in 13 according to last night.

We hardly ever take a short corner to draw men out the box or change the angle of delivery.

Our tacticts at corners seem non-existent. In a lot of games you will see the corner taker raise an arm or two to indicate which set of tactics he will use/where the ball will go. That doesn't happen at HMFC and didn't happen last night.

I've just scanned through the game and here is our corners

Driver - short

Driver - back post

Driver - back post

Driver - back post

Novi - Front post (actuially looked like he mis-hit it)

Novi - Back post

(Novi subbed)

Driver - back post

Driver - back post

Driver - front post

Driver - back post

Driver - back post

(Driver subbed)

Walker - Front post

Walker - Back post (Sutton header)

Bit of a generalisation betweeen front & back as some could be argued to be in the middle, but for illustration purposes only

Some were inswingers & some outswingers - easy to identfy when its mainly a left footer taking the corner

Jambof3tornado

Every other team in the league appears more dangerous from set pieces than us. Walker improved things when driver went off.

Something that I really do blame McGlynn for.

We are a team that generally creates little from open play so we should be working our set piece practice sessions to death.

We should have moves planned from corners and free kicks not just hitting an area in the box. Although I hate to quote Nevin - what happened to our "organised chaos" from last season? So Sergio leaves and we basically forget everything we did in that respect?

We should also have more than Stevenson just piling a shot into the wall every free kick we get from 25 yards. Why not at least knock it to side for him to pile it in to the wall once it has started to break up....?

Its inexecusable. These guys are full time players. If it means working 2 hours each afternoon on them so be it and McGlynn should be demanding it.

Could McHattie not take corners, he seems to have a decent strike?

We also can't take a throw in. That's not a new thing though.

It drives me mad that in Scotland only the full backs take throw ins. There was one point last night with about three minutes left where the ball went out for a throw in at the dug out and if Taouil had been switched on he could have taken a quick throw to Walker who was in yards of space and potentially could have had a run in on goal. But Taouil instead throws the ball back for McHattie and goes for a drink of water.

Compare our set pieces to the balls Griffiths delivered last night! Regardless of what anyone thinks of him his

deliveries from all ranges and on both sides were brilliant!

Walker can't be any worse than Driver. He's hopeless.

Opinions but Driver is the best wide player we have of this there is no doubt

HeartsForever

Something that I really do blame McGlynn for.

We are a team that generally creates little from open play so we should be working our set piece practice sessions to death.

We should have moves planned from corners and free kicks not just hitting an area in the box. Although I hate to quote Nevin - what happened to our "organised chaos" from last season? So Sergio leaves and we basically forget everything we did in that respect?

We should also have more than Stevenson just piling a shot into the wall every free kick we get from 25 yards. Why not at least knock it to side for him to pile it in to the wall once it has started to break up....?

Its inexecusable. These guys are full time players. If it means working 2 hours each afternoon on them so be it and McGlynn should be demanding it.

Could McHattie not take corners, he seems to have a decent strike?

To think that people used to rip Beckham when he was younger for staying behind for 3 hours, curling 30 yard free kicks through tyres tied to the crossbar. You don't get good by luck, it's commitment & hard work.

If I was a player id love to stay behind in training & work on my game. Me & my mates have to pay just for a wee game of 5's & look forward to it all week when we're sitting behind a desk!

Dusk_Till_Dawn

To think that people used to rip Beckham when he was younger for staying behind for 3 hours, curling 30 yard free kicks through tyres tied to the crossbar. You don't get good by luck, it's commitment & hard work.

Nobody ripped Beckham for that. Crowds of fans used to stand and watch him do it.

HeartsForever

Compare our set pieces to the balls Griffiths delivered last night! Regardless of what anyone thinks of him his

deliveries from all ranges and on both sides were brilliant!

His deliveries are consistently above Spl standard, anyone who knows anything about football would admit that

Tynecastle Valhalla

Opinions but Driver is the best wide player we have of this there is no doubt

Except that he isnt, he is the worst

Archived