Cristina. Cretina.

shaun.lawson

shaun.lawson

More cheap, populist sabre-rattling from Argentina's demented disaster of a leader:

http://image.guardia...A025BE01F03.pdf

Inflation in Argentina is running at 25%, Senora Presidenta. Maybe you'd like to try and tackle that instead of indulging in this bollocks? And maybe you'd also like to pay heed to this graffiti in Buenos Aires, while you're at it:

BLU_BA.png

Still, if I were the FA, I'd be organising a friendly against Chile. In Port Stanley. class=

A politician sabre rattling while the country goes down the tubes. Who would have thought it.

dobmisterdobster

Argentina itself was formed out of colonialism.

Spanish settlers slaughtered the Incas and took their land.

Argentina itself was formed out of colonialism.

Spanish settlers slaughtered the Incas and took their land.

Weren't the Incas on the West coast as opposed to the East?

So that would be Chile and Peru as opposed to Argentina

Weren't the Incas on the West coast as opposed to the East?

So that would be Chile and Peru as opposed to Argentina

The Inca Empire expanded into parts of whats is now Argentina.

Laughable that a nation founded on the foundations of the most brutal forms of colonialism is deriding Britain for their colonialism :lol:

The people of the Falklands want to remain British, that should be the end of it.

shaun.lawson

FREE THE PEOPLE OF PATAGONIA FROM IMPERIAL TYRANNY

DOWN WITH THE INVADERS

I'll review the sitch when I arrive.

In 5 days time :verysmug:

Over a steak at Cabanas Las Lilas, I hope.

I once sat at a table next to someone who I'm 99% convinced was Enzo Francescoli in Patio Bulrich in BsAs. :)

Pardon my ignorance but what is there worth fighting for?

My Stepdad was there in the Navy and said all they had to do was watch Puffins stepping onto land mines

My Stepdad was there in the Navy and said all they had to do was watch Puffins stepping onto land mines

There's a wee bit of oil there now, but that's **** all to do with CFK's claims to the place. Argentina is awash with oil and has potential on its own shores; they have more than enough or that to keep themselves busy.

FREE THE PEOPLE OF PATAGONIA FROM IMPERIAL TYRANNY

DOWN WITH THE INVADERS

How is the viewed in SA Shaun?

There's a wee bit of oil there now, but that's **** all to do with CFK's claims to the place. Argentina is awash with oil and has potential on its own shores; they have more than enough or that to keep themselves busy.

Would imagine the fishing rights might have something to do with it as well!

shaun.lawson

How is the viewed in SA Shaun?

Extremely badly. The line in the ad about the Malvinas being a cause "embraced by Latin America" is a bare faced lie - unless, of course, she means 'embraced' as in "oi, Argentina - stop interfering and leave those Islanders in peace".

There is such a thing as Latin American solidarity - just never, ever with Argentina, many of whose people are convinced they're actually European, yet deposited by some inexplicable miracle of geography into the wrong continent. :dizzy2: Still, I'll be encountering plenty of rich Argentinians in Punta del Este next week: I shall report back on my experiences. :)

Extremely badly. The line in the ad about the Malvinas being a cause "embraced by Latin America" is a bare faced lie - unless, of course, she means 'embraced' as in "oi, Argentina - stop interfering and leave those Islanders in peace".

There is such a thing as Latin American solidarity - just never, ever with Argentina, many of whose people are convinced they're actually European, yet deposited by some inexplicable miracle of geography into the wrong continent. :dizzy2: Still, I'll be encountering plenty of rich Argentinians in Punta del Este next week: I shall report back on my experiences. :)

Interesting, I didn't appreciate Argentina was viewed that way. Always fancied going there though.

shaun.lawson

Interesting, I didn't appreciate Argentina was viewed that way. Always fancied going there though.

Argentinians are hated in Chile, unbelievably unpopular in Uruguay, and not on too many Brazilians' Christmas card lists either. Plus, if Uruguayans go on their holibobs to Spain or Italy, they're almost always asked by hoteliers, "you're not Argentinian, are you?", and greeted with a huge sigh of relief when they answer in the negative.

It's actually very unfair, and plainly almost all based on a stereotype. But Argentina's rep in Latin America is awfully like France's rep in Europe, it seems to me - but not, please note, England's around the world. People might assume that the English are wildly unpopular in this part of the world; the reality, in my experience at least, is more like the total opposite. Language and music are the reasons for that, I find; and, of course, football. :)

Alba gu Brath

Argentina is an ex-colony and the people are extremely mixed - even their Spanish has an Italian accent and there's lots of indigenous blood there.

I reckon the UK should abide by the UN, as they expected Saddam to do. All in all, it's pretty sad that we want to hang on to some far flung remnant of an Empire.

UN Resolutions

Resolution 2065 (XX)

Question of the Falkland Islands (Malvinas)

16 December 1965

The General Assembly,

Having examined the question of the Falkland Islands (Malvinas),

Taking into account the chapters of the reports of the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples relating to the Falkland Islands (Malvinas), and in particular the conclusions and recommendations adopted by the Committee with reference to that Territory,

Considering that its resolution 1514 (XV) of 14 December 1960 was prompted by the cherished aim of bringing to an end everywhere colonialism in all its forms, one of which covers the case of the Falkland Islands (Malvinas),

Noting the existence of a dispute between the Governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland concerning sovereignty over the said Islands,

1. Invites the Governments of Argentina and the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland to proceed without delay with the negotiations recommended by the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples with a view to finding a peaceful solution to the problem, bearing in mind the provisions and objectives of the Charter of the United Nations and of General Assembly resolution 1514 (XV) and the interests of the population of the Falkland Islands (Malvinas);

2. Requests the two Governments to report to the Special Committee and to the General Assembly at its twenty-first session on the results of the negotiations.

Alba gu Brath

Not sure that this is the case. This from Wiki:

Peru, Brazil, Chile and Mexico officially support the Argentine claim over the Falklands and the South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands,[84] and have voiced their support at international organisations.[85][86][87][88]

It's not just oil, it's also strategically important in regards to Antarctica and any UK claims on land and, of course, any mineral reserves there.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Zzzz, as others have said, sabre rattling as a deflection technique from lying about the state of the domestic situation.

It's not just oil, it's also strategically important in regards to Antarctica and any UK claims on land and, of course, any mineral reserves there.

And also a heavy dose of patriotism and national pride, more than anything else.

First thing I was going to say was that the Argentina should be returned to the native peoples. Then we can chat about the Falklands.

Snake Plissken

Should have fought harder in 1982 if they wanted them so badly.

shaun.lawson

Peru, Brazil, Chile and Mexico officially support the Argentine claim over the Falklands and the South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands,[84] and have voiced their support at international organisations.[85][86][87][88]

Yes. The governments do. There'd be too much strife if they didn't, so they do so for a quiet life.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Yes. The governments do. There'd be too much strife if they didn't, so they do so for a quiet life.

And, indeed, who cares if they do or not?

]

I reckon the UK should abide by the UN, as they expected Saddam to do. All in all, it's pretty sad that we want to hang on to some far flung remnant of an Empire.

Would it not be better for the people of the Falkland Islands to have a Yes/No referundum to decide on their own independence?

::troll:::'>

shaun.lawson

Argentina is an ex-colony and the people are extremely mixed - even their Spanish has an Italian accent and there's lots of indigenous blood there.

Saddam Hussein annexed a sovereign state. The Falklands were never Argentina's at any point - meaning it's not even a question of returning them. We'd be giving them to Argentina - and acting against the basic principle of self-determination in the process. Your lack of respect for that principle - a cornerstone of democracy - except of course when it applies to Scotland, appals me.

Meanwhile, there is an absolute chasm of difference between something advocated by the UN General Assembly. which naturally is full to the brim of post-colonial states who are therefore somewhat, um, easily led on a question such as this, and the UN Security Council. Argentina's invasion of the Falklands in 1982 was in total contravention of international law, which is on the UK's side on this matter. And for all her constant obfuscating and playing silly buggers, Cristina knows it too.

Saddam Hussein annexed a sovereign state. The Falklands were never Argentina's at any point - meaning it's not even a question of returning them. We'd be giving them to Argentina - and acting against the basic principle of self-determination in the process. Your lack of respect for that principle - a cornerstone of democracy - except of course when it applies to Scotland, appals me.

Meanwhile, there is an absolute chasm of difference between something advocated by the UN General Assembly. which naturally is full to the brim of post-colonial states who are therefore somewhat, um, easily led on a question such as this, and the UN Security Council. Argentina's invasion of the Falklands in 1982 was in total contravention of international law, which is on the UK's side on this matter. And for all her constant obfuscating and playing silly buggers, Cristina knows it too.

Considering she is 59 though. :pleasingao:

Its not looking good for Hugo...:sob:

Yup. Sadly, looks like he has hosted his last Alo Presidente.

Reading that article Shaun has linked, it just shows how sad, tyrannical, ignorant and offensive Alba Gu Brath is.

If we have an independent Scotland, I don't want him anywhere near part of it. I suggest Salmond doesn't give him a foreign policy gig.

Some amusing comments below this article. There usually are on this website tbf.

http://en.mercopress.com/2013/01/03/argentina-again-ignores-the-rights-and-wishes-of-the-falkland-islands-people

Look hard enough, and you'd eventually find some (admittedly unamusing) quotes from me on there. And not just in the comments section. :)

shaun.lawson

Look hard enough, and you'd eventually find some (admittedly unamusing) quotes from me on there. And not just in the comments section. :)

Oooh! Do you write for them, then?

Meanwhile:

Your President has lied twice on your behalf today:

1) suggesting Argentine civilians were expelled.

2) suggesting that Patagonia was Argentine in 1832.

But, absolutely zero evidence as to why the Islands are part of Argentina.

No Spanish inheritance

No territorial integrity

No civilian expulsion

No historic claim

No moral claim

No geographic claim

Argentine history in the islands summarised:

Colonialist intention, violence, mutiny, murder, rape, retreat, lies, Nazism, cowardice, invasion, cowardice, humiliation, more lies, whining, Botox.

British history of the islands:

Peaceful colony, shipping, trade, withdrawal, shipping, peaceful settlement for 150 years, bravery, heroism, removal of fascist junta, peaceful settlement for 30 years, massive oil discovery!!

Notice the difference...

:D

Oooh! Do you write for them, then?

Meanwhile:

Your President has lied twice on your behalf today:

1) suggesting Argentine civilians were expelled.

2) suggesting that Patagonia was Argentine in 1832.

But, absolutely zero evidence as to why the Islands are part of Argentina.

No Spanish inheritance

No territorial integrity

No civilian expulsion

No historic claim

No moral claim

No geographic claim

Argentine history in the islands summarised:

Colonialist intention, violence, mutiny, murder, rape, retreat, lies, Nazism, cowardice, invasion, cowardice, humiliation, more lies, whining, Botox.

British history of the islands:

Peaceful colony, shipping, trade, withdrawal, shipping, peaceful settlement for 150 years, bravery, heroism, removal of fascist junta, peaceful settlement for 30 years, massive oil discovery!!

Notice the difference...

:D

The botox bit was uncalled for, leave the lovely honey alone, no need for the personal attacks on wee Cristina :)

shaun.lawson

Nah, I'm not a journalist.

But "not just in the comments section". :qqb010:

Zzzz, as others have said, sabre rattling as a deflection technique from lying about the state of the domestic situation.

Which, IIRC, is exactly what happens everytime the Argentinian domestic situation goes to ratshit. 1982 for starters, and I also vaguely remember the previous president noising us up about it as well a few years back.

Oh, and let's be honest, the Argentines won't be getting anywhere near the Falklands from a military standpoint. They now have a flight of Typhoons (which the US Chief of the Air Force said "I have flown all the USAF jets, None was a s good as the Eurofighter", SAMs aplenty (courtesy of a full-time detachment from the RAF Regiment), a Type 45 destroyer which is capable, apparently, of destroying anything in the air or sea up to a range of about 200 miles, and oh, Vanguard-class nuclear attack sub which may, or may not be cruising around.

Let the islanders move here if they want to be British. Or else let them go independent.

Why should we bankroll an island full of sheep when we could provide for folk at home?

Geoff Kilpatrick

Let the islanders move here if they want to be British. Or else let them go independent.

Why should we bankroll an island full of sheep when we could provide for folk at home?

Britain provides foreign affairs and defence at the islanders request, otherwise they are self-governing.

I P Knightley

Would it not be better for the people of the Falkland Islands to have a Yes/No referundum to decide on their own independence?

class=:' />

Surely a pokey wee land with modest amounts of natural resource deserves a more comprehensive choice than simply "Yes or No" to independence?

I P Knightley

The clue is in the word "quotes".

The only quote in the text that is not from the MLA chappy is:

were ?forcibly stripped? from

"Forcibly stripped" - surely intended for the Helen Flanagan thread?

Bowmans_Boot

Argentina is a wonderful country to visit, the best I have ever been to. The people are friendly and welcoming to all and the country is stunningly beautiful.

Worthless without youtube cartoon IMO

My Great Uncle John worked on the Whaling ships out of South Georgia and claimed it was so shite that even the penguins hated it.

There is one of the world's largest oil fields off the coast of the Falklands. However to date it has never been economically viable to exploit it.

The only quote in the text that is not from the MLA chappy is:

"Forcibly stripped" - surely intended for the Helen Flanagan thread?

Arf.

I meant the website, not the specific article. Anyhoo, never mind...

There is one of the world's largest oil fields off the coast of the Falklands. However to date it has never been economically viable to exploit it.

Nonsense.

They have found one modestly sized field, and that's it.

Seymour M Hersh

Alba you realise the Flaklands were settled by Scottish farmers (among others from the UK). Wee Eck might be i n there with his own claim for tartan sovereignty before you know it!!

Archived