Twelve points between Second and Tenth

Deodato

JKB,

Warning: statistical post.

Any stattos out there able to comment on the league - it looks pretty tight points wise. Inverness at second with 32 points, St Mirren at tenth with 20 points. Is this unusually 'compressed' for the end of year half way point league table and is there any impartial conclusions that can be drawn from the omission of Rangers?

(As an aside, I recall reading about the rugby premier league in England which at one point was so compressed in the points distribution that the bottom team could of gone top during the final few games of the season. As a result they debated the merits of relegation).

Deodato

1 Celtic 18 23 37

2 Inverness CT 19 9 32

3 Motherwell 19 5 30

4 Hibernian 19 2 28

5 Aberdeen 19 3 27

6 Hearts 19 -1 25

7 St Johnstone 19 -3 25

8 Dundee Utd 18 0 24

9 Kilmarnock 18 4 23

10 St Mirren 19 -9 20

11 Ross County 19 -10 18

12 Dundee 18 -23 12

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Not what you are looking for I know but I am not a statto. Here's what strikes me about the SPL this season.

Commentators, pundits and even a good number of fans are quite slow in updating their views on the various merits of all the teams. We are still getting panned like a struggling bottom six club, Hibs are still being considered as having a great season, UTD are still played up to a ridiculous level and placed upon some kind of pedestal - this seems the most enduring fantasy season after season and it is perpetuated right through terrible runs of form and dressed up as a temporary blip until they win a couple of games.

Aberdeen are also lauded as something special regularly... Despite this we are having similar seasons points wise.

I think many of our own supporters lack the sort of belief and confidence in Hearts that we used to nowadays and get far too taken in by nonsense about decidedly average sides no better than our own before games. Motherwell and Dundee UTD for me are the most ludicrously over-egged clubs going in my experience.

Very true SWR.

Not been to too many games this season cause I don't live in Scotland but I've been at the last two home games....

One thing I've noticed is how competitive they have been.

Guest Bilel Mohsni

Very true SWR.

Not been to too many games this season cause I don't live in Scotland but I've been at the last two home games....

One thing I've noticed is how competitive they have been.

Definitely. But see before kick-off we big up certain teams well beyond their actual abilities and fear playing them... Then once the game starts you all of a sudden realise just how average the opposition actually are.

Archived