Letter from the Heart delivered to Romanov / George Foulkes (merged threads)

Colonel Kurtz

Colonel Kurtz

In line with the recent trend to post Lord Dodes scribblings as if they were gospel.

"fat cat Foulkes ,the man who ate all the pies at Tynecastle before falling out with the Romanovs ,has grown ever fatter with his nose in the House of lords trough.

It turns out you have been paying him scores of thousands of pounds to stay in a London flat,inherited from his late mother.Thats right you paid him overnight expenses to stay in his own free flat.

mind you,Foulkes,who recently made ?400000 profit from his Ayrshire property,is a real family value man.

When his son was convicted of being a football hooligan,his father ,a Labour politician said ....nothing"

George Galloway

Perhaps lord Dode can rectify his mistakes and buy out Romanov

In line with the recent trend to post Lord Dodes scribblings as if they were gospel.

"fat cat Foulkes ,the man who ate all the pies at Tynecastle before falling out with the Romanovs ,has grown ever fatter with his nose in the House of lords trough.

It turns out you have been paying him scores of thousands of pounds to stay in a London flat,inherited from his late mother.Thats right you paid him overnight expenses to stay in his own free flat.

mind you,Foulkes,who recently made ?400000 profit from his Ayrshire property,is a real family value man.

When his son was convicted of being a football hooligan,his father ,a Labour politician said ....nothing"

George Galloway

Perhaps lord Dode can rectify his mistakes and buy out Romanov

could have been worse ....he might have had young boys staying in his flat ;)

Colonel Kurtz
could have been worse ....he might have had young boys staying in his flat ;)

these expenses can be a great temptation,tell us more

I do own a flat ,but not in Edinburgh though

Ouch - good points though!

I am not a fan of how Galloway goes around conducting himself, most of the time he starts off making a great point then makes an erse of it -

However in a one on one debate, or when writing in the newspaper columns, he excels. Anyone who say him in the US Senate will know what I mean.

Mibbes GW should stick to writing and GF could invest some of his cash....

I am not a fan of how Galloway goes around conducting himself, most of the time he starts off making a great point then makes an erse of it -

However in a one on one debate, or when writing in the newspaper columns, he excels. Anyone who say him in the US Senate will know what I mean.

Lord George likes expenses:

http://www.theherald.co.uk/politics/news/display.var.1681567.0.0.php :oopsoops:

If I read this right, that means that he could possibly claim for TWO free flats.

House of Lords Attendance allowance?

House of Lords Expenses

MSP Salary

MSP Expenses

?50k minimum consultant earnings?

Hootsman money

The Colonel may be right, maybe he is saving up to buy out VR!

There is nothing wrong in claiming expenses or selling flats for profit.

The point however is whether someone takes advantage for needless profit.

Electric, travel and costs do mount up, but if a three or four day stay costs ?165 a day then he is taking too many taxis or wasting too much light in my opinion.

London is clearly expensive, and Foulkes must spend a lot quite rightly, but give them leeway and it is very tempting to take all that is on offer.

Drew Busby !

His "lordship" has been shooting fish in a barrel these days in the EEN re: the Romanov regime.

But yesterdays Herald article was a timely reminder of his own multiple deficiencies. He's got more faces than Big Ben, with his personal moral compass always pointing to the expenses trough. No wonder he was so quick to come to the support of Michael Martin in recent weeks...like Martin, Foulkes is also swimming up to his big fat neck in the expenses gravy.

I was going to write about my encounters with George Galloway but this article is far better writeent than anything I could come up with.

http://www.butterfliesandwheels.com/articleprint.php?num=293

We're talking about a man who was too dodgy for Dundee

Ally Alexander
There is nothing wrong in claiming expenses or selling flats for profit.

The point however is whether someone takes advantage for needless profit.

Electric, travel and costs do mount up, but if a three or four day stay costs ?165 a day then he is taking too many taxis or wasting too much light in my opinion.

London is clearly expensive, and Foulkes must spend a lot quite rightly, but give them leeway and it is very tempting to take all that is on offer.

It is very likely that he has kept the flat on due to his attendence at the House of Lords. Obviously there will be running costs so he has a right to claim expenses - the issue, however, is the level of expenses.

It is an illustration of the Westminster culture where MPs are able to bank thier salaries and live on expenses.

Letter from the Heart delivered to Romanov by George Foulkes

DEAR Vlad, it's been a while since we last spoke face to face, but I suppose that would be a fairly uncomfortable event given how we parted at Tynecastle.

You remember, don't you? Hearts were riding high until you sacked first the manager George Burley ? now the Scotland boss ? on a whim. Then the highly regarded Phil Anderton. He didn't want for a job long either, by the way. In fact, he now works forADVERTISEMENTthe ATP, one of the world's biggest sports bodies. I told you then such moves were folly and hoped I could reign in your more outrageous musings. Sadly, I was wrong, and had no option but to resign my post.

It hurt then, and hurts even now. You see I love Hearts, truly adore them. And it pains me to see how you are putting all connected with it through the wringer. Of course we might have had a chance to discuss issues over the odd drink in the Director's Box if I chose to attend as is my privilege as a former club chairman. But we both know that you made it clear, albeit through third parties, that I am no longer welcome.

Which is fine, because I retained my season ticket, and sit among my fellow supporters directly opposite you in the Wheatfield Stand.

However I sometimes think I should exercise that courtesy if only to meet you and Junior in a corner, bang your heads together, and ask just what you are playing at. Because that's what all the fans want to know. It is why your commercial team has been reduced to ringing round existing season ticket holders asking why they haven't renewed.

It's not rocket science, Vlad, really. It's because of your broken promises of giving them a team to be proud of, having work start on the stand, delivering winners.

Now it would be great to sit down and chat to you about all of this and I'd hope to after you said you'd be at all the final games of this season. Admittedly my eyesight isn't what it once was, but I've seen very little sign of you. Then, I'm not alone. Very few people have clapped eyes on you this season.

Of course it may be that you actually do believe you can achieve all you planned. And I think the majority of the maroon faithful would back you if that was the case. But they ? and I ? need to see some evidence. We need to know that you aren't just full of hot air, but have the substance to match your irreverent style.

I mean, are you not embarrassed, even a little? Your team finished below Hibs, a side that will no doubt achieve zero debt by summer. Do you find that in any way acceptable? That a far superior sporting organisation as Hearts with a more loyal fanbase and greater potential, slides below a team that hasn't won a Scottish Cup in over a century?

And let me come back to our spat over George Burley. He was a potentially great manager, the fact he now leads the hopes and aspirations of the Scottish nation vindicates my belief in that. You experimented with a couple of alternatives, which failed to work out.

Stevie Frail has tried his best, yet the poor lad doesn't even have his coaching badge yet. Now look at Rangers. They aren't a good side, they have ridden their luck all season and faced a stuttering Celtic team riddled with problems. But they have consistency and ground out results, lifting the Scottish League Cup, on the cusp of winning the SPL, in the final of the Scottish Cup.

And now just 90 minutes away from a UEFA Cup final. They have done this after giving a poor, under-performing former manager the bullet, and instead brought in an experienced man in Walter Smith who lives and breathes the SPL.

He hasn't even had a decent transfer budget to work with and yet, by being allowed to do his job, is within touching distance of an unprecedented quadruple.

Doesn't that tell you something, comrade? Doesn't it give you a hint as to what must now be done at Hearts. And what we could have had?

Get in the manager we need, let them do their job, and watch the season ticket sales go through the roof. Show leadership, show conviction. Show some guts.

Heal the club and heal your relationship with the fans, so we can raise a glass in tribute to your leadership, rather than drowning our sorrows whenever Saturday comes. But whatever you do, do it now, I implore you. Otherwise it may be too little, too late.

Yours in sport,

GEORGE

This part deserves a special mention.....

"I mean, are you not embarrassed, even a little? Your team finished below Hibs, a side that will no doubt achieve zero debt by summer. Do you find that in any way acceptable? That a far superior sporting organisation as Hearts with a more loyal fanbase and greater potential, slides below a team that hasn't won a Scottish Cup in over a century?"

"I mean, are you not embarrassed, even a little? Your team finished below Hibs, a side that will no doubt achieve zero debt by summer. Do you find that in any way acceptable? That a far superior sporting organisation as Hearts with a more loyal fanbase and greater potential, slides below a team that hasn't won a Scottish Cup in over a century?"

The usage of the word "debt" is superfluous there.

;)

Pretty much speaks for the entire fanbase, barring a few exceptions who will no doubt turn up to have a go at Foulkes for being honest.

Aye, quality..... I think that will just annoy vlad though!

well said though George! keep it up! more is more!

The whole letter is spot on, but that bit's fantastic :)

oh dear

he should have read JKB first

writing letters to Romanov?

he'll have the english lit degree police all over him like a rash....

ps well said Dode

Guest S.U.S.S.

While i agree with much of what is said, there is no need for it to be public.

IMO he should have sent it and followed it up in private.

100% correct.

I would have also added in something about what was he thinking with the lithuanian diddies we have had to stomach the past 2 years.

I dont think that was the point

I think GF is overtly trying to be the public voice of the fans of Hearts. Trying to build up public momentum.

No doubt he HAS actually tried private communication without success

Guest JamboRobbo

Send it to where? Straight to vlads bin?

The only way to make this man change is to publically embarrass him into changing IMO.

I agree wholeheartedly with everyting GF says.

The only thing is; he obviously hasn't worked out that by now, VR doesn't give a ****.

Pointlesss waste of ink TBH.

But fair play to him. A true Hearts man.

Pity he's dealing with a ****ing bunch of chimps.

Guest S.U.S.S.
I dont think that was the point

I think GF is overtly trying to be the public voice of the fans of Hearts. Trying to build up public momentum.

No doubt he HAS actually tried private communication without success

Has he nominated himself as our public voice?

No doubt tried? pure speculation.

We know for a fact Vlad does not take kindly to public tellings off.

Achieves nothing except keep GF in the papers.

The only way to make this man change is to publically embarrass him into changing IMO.

Er ... well, I think the fact it is printed in Edinburgh's local evening paper (whatever you think of it), and will be picked up on by other papers, is quite a public embarrassment for Vlad.

In theory.

But the man has a thick skin.

Ah ... hold on ... can we send a link to the Lithuanian equivalent paper ?

Heh.

Where's Kislas when you need him?

Has he nominated himself as our public voice? No

No doubt tried? pure speculation. Yes, pure speculation

We know for a fact Vlad does not take kindly to public tellings off. Takes kindly to nothing apart from money and his own voice

Achieves nothing except keep GF in the papers. GF is in the papers conveying the majority view of Hearts fans

There's no "shrug, so what" smiley, but - so what? You're agenda against GF does nothing to reduce the fact that he is a public figure speaking a lot of sense publicly about the mess our football club is in.

Guest S.U.S.S.

Come on JR we both know that will not work, he is not that type of man.

Guest S.U.S.S.
There's no "shrug, so what" smiley, but - so what? You're agenda against GF does nothing to reduce the fact that he is a public figure speaking a lot of sense publicly about the mess our football club is in.

Utter ****e, Agenda?

In my op i stated i agreed with most of what GF said, but not the method of delivery.

If you think thats an agenda, you must see conspiracy everywhere.

Utter ****e, Agenda?

In my op i stated i agreed with most of what GF said, but not the method of delivery.

If you think thats an agenda, you must see conspiracy everywhere.

Ok, you think GF is more out for self publicity than genuine concerns about Hearts?

Hmmm - only way is still down to season tickets IMO.

We cant be far away, however, from 3/4s of Easter Road singing the Vladimir Romanov song at our first derby there next season - in its original form.

Now that would be embarassing - you would think...your main rivals hailing the name of our owner

Guest S.U.S.S.
Ok, you think GF is more out for self publicity than genuine concerns about Hearts?

He is well aware its good for him to remain in the papers for such a positive thing.

He is not a stupid man. As ive stated, agree with the messge not the delivery.

Great letter GF, understand why you went public too, otherwise it was bin bound in Vlad land, hopefully he'll respond positively but I doubt it. Unfortunately Vlad has put us in the worst financial position in our history therefore we are damned with him and defintely damned without him. Can't think of a worse position to be in. Particularly as he will do nothing to redeem all the broken promises.

He is not a stupid man. As ive stated, agree with the messge not the delivery.

Exactly the point though

He has deliberately had this printed publicly

Guest S.U.S.S.
Exactly the point though

He has deliberately had this printed publicly

No, you think?

How many public letters has Vlad responded to?

Will this be any different?

The tone of the letter is set out to make Vlad look stupid, perhaps rightly so. But it will not get a reply because of that. Perhaps if the tone was slightly different and was delivered in private that may have been different (i doubt it) but this will defo end up in the bin.

As i stated, GF is not stupid, he knows he has said the right things and will not get a reply but can come from this looking good rather that have any chance of a reply.

No, you think?

Will this be any different?

The tone of the letter is set out to make Vlad look stupid, perhaps rightly so. But it will not get a reply because of that. Perhaps if the tone was slightly different and was delivered in private that may have been different (i doubt it) but this will defo end up in the bin.

As i stated, GF is not stupid, he knows he has said the right things and will not get a reply but can come from this looking good rather that have any chance of a reply.

We seem to be agreeing on an awful lot save the above.

Hence my agenda comment.

Not that important though in the scheme of things

Whether or not GF looks good out of this he is, as you have accepted, giving publicity to a lot of thoughts and opinions that most Hearts fans can agree on.

Thats a good thing IMO - the more people pushing in similar directions the better

DuffJimmy1875

The vagaries of time may have clouded my memory, but was Lord George Foulkes not one of the principle players in the process of installing Romanov at the helm of Hearts, extolling shareholders to hand over their shares at the price Romanov was offering or "risk never being forgiven by their fellow supporters"

That Mr Romanov and his people were "positive people" and "had done all they said they'd do"??

It hasn't occurred to anyone that his pleas, now that things with Romanov have turned out to be slightly "sub-optimal", could be as much about attempting to save his own hide and to avoid him looking any dafter as they are about a genuine and realistic attempt to instigate meaningful change at Tynecastle???

He's obviously a fan that's hurting, and to that extent I sympathise with him, but as a fan that had a fair deal more to do with bringing Romanov to Tynecastle in the first place than did the "average" Hearts fan, this letter and various other of his "offerings" come with more than a hint of attempting to curry favour with Hearts fans, with the end objective of distancing himself from the regime that he helped take over in the 1st place.

Just a thought, that I expect to go down like a lead balloon on here admittedly, but a valid way of looking at this nonetheless - IMO

Guest JamboRobbo
No, you think?

About the same as the number of private ones has he responded too?

Guest S.U.S.S.
We seem to be agreeing on an awful lot save the above.

Hence my agenda comment.

Not that important though in the scheme of things

Whether or not GF looks good out of this he is, as you have accepted, giving publicity to a lot of thoughts and opinions that most Hearts fans can agree on.

Thats a good thing IMO - the more people pushing in similar directions the better

Your correct, we agree the message needs to get to vald, but differ on how and perhaps why it was delivered.

Drew Busby !
Loathe the man

Cant stand his 1960s politics

Agree with every word!

Ditto.

I've seen Foulkes all over Scotland supporting Hearts this past 20 or 30 years, so I don't doubt his jambo credentials.

Although I find him to be an odious hypocrite in all other respects as this weekends Herald expense story showed.

To paraphrase a little, "you can choose your friends but you can't choose your (hearts) family"

The vagaries of time may have clouded my memory, but was Lord George Foulkes not one of the principle players in the process of installing Romanov at the helm of Hearts, extolling shareholders to hand over their shares at the price Romanov was offering or "risk never being forgiven by their fellow supporters"

That Mr Romanov and his people were "positive people" and "had done all they said they'd do"??

It hasn't occurred to anyone that his pleas, now that things with Romanov have turned out to be slightly "sub-optimal", could be as much about attempting to save his own hide and to avoid him looking any dafter as they are about a genuine and realistic attempt to instigate meaningful change at Tynecastle???

He's obviously a fan that's hurting, and to that extent I sympathise with him, but as a fan that had a fair deal more to do with bringing Romanov to Tynecastle in the first place than did the "average" Hearts fan, this letter and various other of his "offerings" come with more than a hint of attempting to curry favour with Hearts fans, with the end objective of distancing himself from the regime that he helped take over in the 1st place.

Just a thought, that I expect to go down like a lead balloon on here admittedly, but a valid way of looking at this nonetheless - IMO

Hindsight

No one person is less or more culpable than anyone else

Romanov has made a fool out of each and everyone of us. GF did not deceive Hearts fans in believing VR

GF is not culpable in any way

He was suckered in and lied to just like the majority off the support,only it must have been lie's on a grander scale than what we have been told,remember it's only been a couple of months since Gary Mackay said everything was okay,he to must have been lied to at every turn for him to "believe" in Vlad.

IMO he is way out off his depth and is trying every trick in the book to get out off this mess with as little personal financial damage as possible,but TBH I don't think it's his money he is playing with here,it looks like it the banks.

Hindsight

Romanov has made a fool out of each and everyone of us. GF did not deceive Hearts fans in believing VR

Well, apart from bringing this bombscare to the club!

Having said that, I do think he was acting in the best interests of Hearts and in his position most fans (or probably all fans) would have done the same thing. But in hindsight it looks like it was the wrong decision.

bean counter

I must be in a minority because I don't think the letter is clever at all and I don't believe it was written to try and improve our situation it was written for effect.

It was written to score points ( You were wrong I was right ) and as George knows to do that publicly will get you no where if you genuinely want to resolve a dispute.

And to say that because Burley is now in charge of Scotland shows he was a good manager is obsurd Bertie Voights was also Scotland manager, so it proves nothing, unless we now suddenly believe in everything the SFA does.

I am not doubting Foulkes passion for HMFC just his decision to make public this letter

Guest JamboRobbo
I must be in a minority because I don't think the letter is clever at all and I don't believe it was written to try and improve our situation it was written for effect.

It was written to score points ( You were wrong I was right ) and as George knows to do that publicly will get you no where if you genuinely want to resolve a dispute.

And to say that because Burley is now in charge of Scotland shows he was a good manager is obsurd Bertie Voights was also Scotland manager, so it proves nothing, unless we now suddenly believe in everything the SFA does.

I am not doubting Foulkes passion for HMFC just his decision to make public this letter

Easy to criticise Foulkes on this, but

a) Do you agree that things need to change in the way HMFC is run (i.e. Vlad butts out of ****ing with things all the time?).

B) Do you agree that both private and public methods have been tried over and over again to try and get Vlad to see sense?

Assuming you agree with a) and B) above ( I don't see how any Hearts fan could not agree with those), how do you suggest we go about getting the point across to the mad man that he has to stop ****ing our club up with his ridiculous methods?

Hindsight

Spot on.

Archived