Madrid

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Brian Whittaker's Tache

I'm in Madrid today and tomorrow on business.

Anyone suggest any cool areas to go out for a few civilised sherries and some tapas? (i want a proper Spanish experience)

Brian Whittaker's Tache

Yeah right exciting it is

Just about to go to a meeting and stuck in the city on my jack jones cos I cant get a flight back till tomorrow!!

any of the old squares are where the best tapas are, a nice glass of rioja and hopefully the sun is out,

Brian Whittaker's Tache

It was actually hotter in edinburgh yesterday than it was here!!:confused:

Most of Madrid is quite authentic. I would recomend that you try to somewhere off the main streets South of Sol. There are lovely squares everywhere in the city with fantastic bars and restaurants.

I would say a good starter is Plaza de Santa Ana. This has a large white hotel with lots of bars and restaurants around it. If you can't find anywhere in the square there is a street off it called Calle de las Huertas that has some traditional bars and restaurants.

Failing that, find one of the many Argentine Steak Houses. The best I've ever tasted!

chester copperpot

I remember visiting the Garden De Retirio in the South of the City (I think, was a while ago). That was pretty good, and had some nice bars near the entrance to it (Along with an irish boozer).

Boaby Ewing

As everything opens late in Spain, you should have time to check out the the Reina Sofia art gallery which has a lot of Picasso’s work if I remember rightly. It's open 'til 9.30 pm.

I'm working from memory but I think it's close to Plaza de Santa Ana so you could go for a wander round the gallery after work before firing into the rioja and tapas.

If you get away early (and if your colleagues all bugger off for a three hour lunch, I'd say it's legit) you could just about grab a stadium tour of the Bernabau ('til 6.30 pm).

Taxis are dirt cheap so if you get lost just hail one of the mad bassas and jump in.

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Most of Madrid is quite authentic. I would recomend that you try to somewhere off the main streets South of Sol. There are lovely squares everywhere in the city with fantastic bars and restaurants.

I would say a good starter is Plaza de Santa Ana. This has a large white hotel with lots of bars and restaurants around it. If you can't find anywhere in the square there is a street off it called Calle de las Huertas that has some traditional bars and restaurants.

Failing that, find one of the many Argentine Steak Houses. The best I've ever tasted!

Cheers for that! Bloke here recommended the Plaza de Santa Anna too.

Looks like we'll be heading there

Cheers for that! Bloke here recommended the Plaza de Santa Anna too.

Looks like we'll be heading there

It's a fantastic place. If there was any city I could choose to move to it would be Madrid. I'm really jealous of you.

Brian Whittaker's Tache

If you get away early (and if your colleagues all bugger off for a three hour lunch, I'd say it's legit) you could just about grab a stadium tour of the Bernabau ('til 6.30 pm).

Taxis are dirt cheap so if you get lost just hail one of the mad bassas and jump in.

Got a bit of free time tomorrow so I might try and fit that in before I head off

chester copperpot
Got a bit of free time tomorrow so I might try and fit that in before I head off

If you get a chance, go see the trophy room at the Bernabeu.

they have a trophy the size of a hoose, its massive. Shaped like a castle IIRC.

Archived