US primary school shooting

Tazio

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BoJack Horseman

It's frightening how frequently this is happening now. I think the media are mostly to blame for that.

Maiden Gorgie

It's frightening how frequently this is happening now. I think the media are mostly to blame for that.

Agree. 24/7 news coverage (you can just imagine the reaction in the US media just now) almost glorifies these actions and if you want a wee bit of infamy? Buy a gun.

Must seem like a computer game to these ****s

Jimmy McNulty

The NRA reaction will be thus: Guns don't kill people; People kill people.

The culture is so entrenched in the nation no amount of legislation could clean this up.

Chaka Demus & pliers

It seems that many Americans have this romanticised view of their forefathers and all that and they can't see that this 'right' in a document written over 200 years ago, has no place in modern society.

chester copperpot

The NRA carry that much sway with American politics that there's no way a ban on guns will ever happen.

Things like this are really horrible. God knows what these poor kids parents are going through just now.

Tragic, just tragic.

You've got to be a special type of mental to go into a school and kill bairns.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

The trouble with the anti-gun laws is that America is full of thick people who cannot see beyond their own noses.

If this story doesn't wake them up then nothing will.

They are identifying the suspect as a 24 year old. His father has been found dead in a New Jersey home, his mother was a kindergarten teacher at the school and is one of the dead. Her shot himself after murdering innocent children. Having reached a really old age, and have experienced all the good things I have, it just really shatters me when some animal does this to innocent kids who now will never experience what I have. He has, the coward he is killed himself so that society can get no closure, it is terrible to think they will bury him anonymously with some degree of respect. His remains should be left in the desert where his fellow carrion can pick at his worthless bones.

What makes people lose all sight of even the most basic level of humanity within themselves, causing the most horrific tragedy like we've seen today. Makes no sense to me

Was there not another mass shooting in the US last week as well? All this the day after Michigan passed laws allowing guns to be carried in schools, day cares, stadiums and churches. :(

This is clearly a cultural thing. There are other countries that allow guns but dont have half as many problems in this regard. Who knows what could/can be done to change it? Do any of our posters over there have any ideas? :unsure:

Can Obama change this? He has no worries now about a second term.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Was there not another mass shooting in the US last week as well? All this the day after Michigan passed laws allowing guns to be carried in schools, day cares, stadiums and churches. :(

This is clearly a cultural thing. There are other countries that allow guns but dont have half as many problems in this regard. Who knows what could/can be done to change it? Do any of our posters over there have any ideas? :unsure:

Can Obama change this? He has no worries now about a second term.

Would an amendment to the 2nd amendment need a referendum? Even if passed, enforcing it could cause all sorts of trauma. :(

Gregory House M.D.

Which "excuse"?

Have you been living in an alternate universe? The excuse they come up with every time this happens so they don't have to/can't change the gun laws. "Now isn't the time" from the government and gems from the gun wielding troglodytes claiming everyone should be armed to the back teeth. Or they'll just keep it simple and roll out the "constitutional rights" bollocks.

Would an amendment to the 2nd amendment need a referendum? Even if passed, enforcing it could cause all sorts of trauma. :(

Good question. I've no idea. I dont think a referendum is necessarily needed to change something in the constitution. I cant remember one TBH, though the inner workings of it, I'm not great on.:unsure:

Geoff Kilpatrick

Have you been living in an alternate universe? The excuse they come up with every time this happens so they don't have to/can't change the gun laws. "Now isn't the time" from the government and gems from the gun wielding troglodytes claiming everyone should be armed to the back teeth. Or they'll just keep it simple and roll out the "constitutional rights" bollocks.

When this right has been ingrained since the days of the American revolution, it isn't as simple as you make it out to be.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

What did he say?

I'm paraphrasing but basically "there have been too many incidents like this, we need to come together to stop this happening regardless of politics."

Nah, but I do live in America. Which is close.

I thought you meant someone had offered an "excuse" as to what happened, as opposed to a "response". There is a difference.

J.T.F.Robertson

The Constitution was (probably)never meant to be taken as written in stone. It was, or should have been, anyway, a foundation, one which could be amended, if and when, the times called for it.

What someone said earlier, is true. They'll say now is not the time, wounds are raw, emotions are high, blah blah. Then it'll fade from the headlines until the next nutter decides to grab his two minutes' worth.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Some people are misdirecting their anger here. This isn't really a time to be debating gun laws.

Are you being sarcastic?

Some people are misdirecting their anger here. This isn't really a time to be debating gun laws.

If change is to happen, times like this are the best times to debate gun laws. Sadly, if things like this can't drag America in to the 21st century, I don't think anything will.

Feel Sick! Make no mistake, this is all about money, you can argue the 5th all they want, the really reason the US will never limit guns or dare i say it stop selling to nutters is because they make too much money from them! Its the only industry they have left, i ******* hate the NRA with a passion, its them with **** like sarah palin and her right wings ***** that spread all these lies about gun control & obama to get folk running out in the street to buy more guns!

Obama has failed big time! he is now statically the worst ever president for gun control in the US!

CavySlaveJambo

Aren't some of Britain's gun laws as direct result of both the Hungerford and Dunblane massacres done in the almost immediate aftermath of them.

Aren't some of Britain's gun laws as direct result of both the Hungerford and Dunblane massacres done in the almost immediate aftermath of them.

Correct. And rightly so.

There are gun laws in Canada, no right to bear arms, but there are still enough arms here in B.C. alone to arm an army. The fact is despite any legislation the bad guys, mentally ill, and just plain evil will find a way to get weapons. As in this case and the one earlier in the week and numerous other situations the evil coward takes his own life as the easy way out. This school was under a system where a person had to enter through a door that had to be electronically unlocked to allow access. Sounds good, but who would suspect a teachers son was going to commit this mayhem. 20 children, 6 adults all dead at the school, and one dead at a second crime scene, earlier reports said the father.

What a person finds most puzzling is that in most of these cases no one saw a change in, as they are often described "nice guy", is it a fact no one saw the change or was there any possibility they did but didn't want to say anything. No one wants to be a grass.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Feel Sick! Make no mistake, this is all about money, you can argue the 5th all they want, the really reason the US will never limit guns or dare i say it stop selling to nutters is because they make too much money from them! Its the only industry they have left, i ******* hate the NRA with a passion, its them with **** like sarah palin and her right wings ***** that spread all these lies about gun control & obama to get folk running out in the street to buy more guns!

Obama has failed big time! he is now statically the worst ever president for gun control in the US!

It's not quite as straightforward as saying Obama has failed. There are huge swathes of people in America who have no interest in seeing gun laws changed.

If this isn't the time, then when is?

We can grieve the loss of life and simultaneously debate gun laws. The two aren't mutually exclusive.

Really?

It's not quite as straightforward as saying Obama has failed. There are huge swathes of people in America who have no interest in seeing gun laws changed.

Exactly.

There are millions of weapons in circulation across the country. Whether people like it or not, incidents like this are the precise reason why some perfectly sane, decent people have them in the first place.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Twitter and rapid reporting is making a right **** up of this.

Now reporting that it's Adam Lanza, not Ryan, who died at the scene.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Exactly.

There are millions of weapons in circulation across the country. Whether people like it or not, incidents like this are the precise reason why some perfectly sane, decent people have them in the first place.

Unfortunately it's like the statistics about knives - people who carry them are more likely to be stabbed.

I think this is made more difficult for the US authorities due to the fact he was using a small calibre hunting rifle. If It been a handgun or a military type weapon that would have made regulations easier to introduce as those are for one thing and one thing only. Killing humans. Trying to control hunting weapons will be very difficult.

Twitter and rapid reporting is making a right **** up of this.

Now reporting that it's Adam Lanza, not Ryan, who died at the scene.

Seen all sorts of reports already about folk with the same name getting hounded on Facebook and Twitter after Fox and CBS shared some unconfirmed information earlier on.

20 kids not to mention the 6 adults and their families destroyed, a real shame, Everyone thinks school is safe!

Geoff Kilpatrick

Sure, what's a bit of corpse congestion? Move on, nothing to see here.

Nothing will happen. Obama doesn't have the power to push any meaningful legislation through.

But seriously - what on earth is it going to take for something meaningful to happen?

Be lying if I said that I didn't have watery eyes watching the President.

He struggled to get through that. Heart wrenching stuff.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Went to have a look on an American friends Facebook to see what the reaction is and what's his cover photo? Him holding a gun. :facepalm:

BoJack Horseman

Be lying if I said that I didn't have watery eyes watching the President.

I choked up just around the point that he did.

Archived