Anyone identify these trees?

Mr Sifter

.....or they might be bushes, I dunno:mw_confused:

I moved into my house in Sept, and have not had to touch them yet. Thing is, they are now needing pruned. The are turnin into right big bad boys, but what do I do?

A mate says trim the tops off, and that'll make them grow outwards instead of upwards. Is this right?

God knows how he knows that......cos neither of us even know what kind they are!

Cheers for any help.......although how many Jambos will admit to being "green fingered:eek:" I dunno.....

DSCF0470.jpg

DSCF0471.jpg

DSCF0469.jpg

I can't tell you what type of tree it is but I have something similar at the foot of my garden which I trim every year. Lop the tops of with a pair of garden shears. The rest you can trim down with hedge clipppers or a pair of sharp handshears. No big deal.

Gavsy Van Gaverson
I can't tell you what type of tree it is but I have something similar at the foot of my garden which I trim every year. Lop the tops of with a pair of garden shears. The rest you can trim down with hedge clipppers or a pair of sharp handshears. No big deal.

Sounds like the reasonable thing to do. That or get out the chainsaw.

:)

Nelly Terraces

Dunno. Look like my sisters next door neighbours ones. How, have these trees been up to no good. I don't trust trees, never have, never will. All that rustling etc, what are they up to, hmmm?

cheers bud, how much shold I be lobbing off the top tho? They are about 1 ft taller than the height of the fence, can I take that much off in one go?

Ask the Pieman about how high these should be allowed to get. He knew a lot about this.

From the pictures they look as though they could be Cypress Lleylandii trees which if left alone will get absolutely huge and way too big for a garden. Those are the causes of the neighbourly disputes which regularly get into the papers (as per the pieman).

If they are Lleylandii then you should take them down to about a foot lower than the height you want them to go to eventually. That is assuming that you want them to form a hedge? I guess that you could shape them into a tree shape if you wanted to keep them in that form. Use loppers, a hedgetrimmer or shears. They don't regrow from brown areas though, so don't go as far as those.

Look like the infamous Leylandii.

Keep these bad boys under control of you could be up for a fine or some neibourhood grief.

:sterb147:

Ask the Pieman about how high these should be allowed to get. He knew a lot about this.

From the pictures they look as though they could be Cypress Lleylandii trees which if left alone will get absolutely huge and way too big for a garden. Those are the causes of the neighbourly disputes which regularly get into the papers (as per the pieman).

If they are Lleylandii then you should take them down to about a foot lower than the height you want them to go to eventually. Use loppers, a hedgetrimmer or shears. They don't regrow from brown areas though, so don't go as far as those.

That's them, and the Pieman is the expert on them. Now ... where is that press cutting ...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/global/main.jhtml?xml=/global/2002/05/22/nshege22.xml

I had one of those in my garden before and had to get half the garden dug up to remove it. Was about 30 foot tall and maybe 8 foot wide

The Old Tolbooth

Definately Leylandii tree's, designed to grow fast and give you privacy in your own garden. They get out of control very quickly if you dont look after them though and can be a pain in the hoop!

Brian Whittaker's Tache
Definately Leylandii tree's, designed to grow fast and give you privacy in your own garden. They get out of control very quickly if you dont look after them though and can be a pain in the hoop!

I concur

Proper pain in the arse those and banned by a lot of local authorities as they grow way too large too quickly and cause a lot of issues with neighbours/light etc etc

cheers bud, how much shold I be lobbing off the top tho? They are about 1 ft taller than the height of the fence, can I take that much off in one go?

Yeah , no problem. that's about the same amount I'm about to chop off mine (ooh , Matron!).

I P Knightley

Those mothers need torching.

They're no good whatsoever; birds can't nest in them and the dropped needles don't decompose - they have a half-life.

However, they're sturdy as hell so if you take a saw to them, you really can't damage them. So chop them in to the shape you like and see what happens.

The next time you get the ****s or poles coming round the door, get them to lop off a foot or two from each one. Get this done every 2 years.

Otherwise...........

Thanks for all the info guys, gonna get myself a set of shears and dig into them this weekend!

I'll use this thread to keep you all updated on how my battle with them prgresses!!!!

Cheers!

Thanks for all the info guys, gonna get myself a set of shears and dig into them this weekend!

I'll use this thread to keep you all updated on how my battle with them prgresses!!!!

Cheers!

Shears!!!!

This is the 21st Century...why do the work when a machine can do it for you

Look like the infamous Leylandii.

Keep these bad boys under control of you could be up for a fine or some neibourhood grief.

:sterb147:

rjo0328l.jpg

[havn't read whole thread so apologies if someones got there first]

your mate is right, chain saw or powerfull hedge cutter and cut right through the trunk at the desired height. (it'll look crap at first)

then it just grows out the way which is hell of alot easier to trim. Every few years you'll need to cut tops off or they'll just get huge. Got them in my garden too.

Auld Reekin'

One good thing about Leylandii is that the branches, trunks, and fronds make a brilliant bonfire! Get the fire going and then pile on plenty of the smaller stuff first, followed by some of the larger branches. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by the results!!! (10 foot flames, enormous clouds of fragrant smoke, etc.. Just the job for peeing-off the neighbours... ;) Although leaving them to grow to their maximum height might just do that even more. :eek::P)

:sterb032::devil-smiley-029:

Buffalo Bill

They look like the shaking bushes from 'The Adventure Game'.

Buffalo Bill

They look like the shaking bushes from 'The Adventure Game'.

Buffalo Bill

:):):)

Archived