Mon 28 Apr 1941 - A Scottish Football Legend starts out

Hearts Heritage

A gentleman by all accounts and an extremely fit player for his day.

Three Championships with different clubs and a player I wish I had seen.

Two hat tricks in one game?

How often does that happen?

A truely great player - but when he played for Hibs against us - big Tam Mckenzie always had him in his back pocket!!!

WeeToonJambo

I was fortunate enough to see Gordon Smith playing for Hearts. He was in the twilight of his career but I just loved watching him and, because I was quite young at the time, had no recollection of him playing for Hibs. He moved on to Dundee and was instrumental in them reaching the semi-final of the European Cup.

Charlie-Brown
The crowd was only 3004!

Britain was deep into the 2nd world war by April 1941 - that would be the reason for such a low crowd.

John Findlay

My father who will be 71years old this September. Has see Tom Finney, Stanley Matthews and others play in the flesh but, ask him who is the most talented footballer he has ever seen in the flesh and he will answer Gordon Smith.

To show you the bias in the Scottish media. When Jimmy Johnstone died there were quite rightly tributes from all and sundry and he got at least a good 20minutes on Scotsport. When Gordon Smith died you had to read the broadsheets for any tributes and he got all of 2minutes on Scotsport. In a word a disgrace from the Scottish media. They should collectively hang their heads in shame. Of course if Smith had played for either of the OF then it would have all been different.

John

Archived