Windows Phone

Homme

Had a wee shot of an HTC Windows phone today. I know that Nokia and Samsung have Windows models out too.

Really like the look of them but whats the deal with the apps and stuff? Are the popular apps i use available on Windows? eg Sky Sports, banking, news etc. Would imagine it will become more popular in time but my contract is up in a couple of months.

Don't know much about operating systems and stuff and i'm in work so have limited access to the internet until i go home tonight so can't read up on stuff just now.

Anyone got a Windows phone / know much about them? Currently on Android which i think is great.

Had a wee shot of an HTC Windows phone today. I know that Nokia and Samsung have Windows models out too.

Really like the look of them but whats the deal with the apps and stuff? Are the popular apps i use available on Windows? eg Sky Sports, banking, news etc. Would imagine it will become more popular in time but my contract is up in a couple of months.

Don't know much about operating systems and stuff and i'm in work so have limited access to the internet until i go home tonight so can't read up on stuff just now.

Anyone got a Windows phone / know much about them? Currently on Android which i think is great.

Had the Samsung Omnia 7 Windows phone for nearly 19 months now and not had any real problems with it, also running Windows 8 on my Laptop so I suppose I get the same kind of familiarity between devices as Iphone/pad users. With apps all the main ones (news and social media sites) are there with especially good synchronisation (sp) with Social Media and the phones contacts and messaging. I like the fact that you can switch in a message thread between SMS, Facebook Messaging or MSN and still keep track of the conversation (also saves your messages if you use Facebook Chat etc when in a WIFI area).

Overall I really like my current phone and I am currently in a bit of a quandary with regards to my next phone as I really want to stick with a Samsung Windows Phone but I can renew in the next month or two and I'm split between sticking with Samsung and getting a Galaxy3 with Android or switching to a Nokia Lumia in order to get a 4g ready phone with windows 8!

I have a Nokia Lumia 800. Had it for close to a year & haven't had a single problem. Apps are decent. If you play Xbox, you can link your Xbox live account to the phone & buy games for it. Great if you ask me.

It's the app selection i'm most bothered about. That would sway me between going Windows or staying Android.

Good news if they are decent. I guess it'll only improve with time too.

I had a play with a Windows phone and quite liked the interface, but the reputation of Windows slowing down after a few months put me off (yes, I know that I shouldn't judge the mobile software by my experience with PC's). The number of apps for Windows 8 is tiny compared to Apple and Android, but I imagine that you will get most of the major ones (if not now, soon)

I had an Android before and preferred to stick with it. I managed to get one of the latest Google Nexus 4 handsets that were launched last month and sold out in 30 mins. Runs Android 4.2 and I am super impressed. Tried the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is also superb, but over ?100 more than the Nexus 4 and the spec is very similar.

If you are going for Android, watch out for the one with Intel Chips (the latest Motorolas are one) as a lot of the apps will not run on them

kingantti1874

I had a play with a Windows phone and quite liked the interface, but the reputation of Windows slowing down after a few months put me off (yes, I know that I shouldn't judge the mobile software by my experience with PC's). The number of apps for Windows 8 is tiny compared to Apple and Android, but I imagine that you will get most of the major ones (if not now, soon)

I had an Android before and preferred to stick with it. I managed to get one of the latest Google Nexus 4 handsets that were launched last month and sold out in 30 mins. Runs Android 4.2 and I am super impressed. Tried the Samsung Galaxy S3 which is also superb, but over ?100 more than the Nexus 4 and the spec is very similar.

If you are going for Android, watch out for the one with Intel Chips (the latest Motorolas are one) as a lot of the apps will not run on them

Windows is far far better than android as closed ecosystem ... Really is a strong OS, the vast majority of decent apps are available

jack D and coke

Just been playing about with the HTC 8X and in really like it. Got an iPhone 4 at the moment but totally underwhelmed with the iPhone 5. Obviously the OS was a concern but have people used windows with no problems?

kingantti1874

Just been playing about with the HTC 8X and in really like it. Got an iPhone 4 at the moment but totally underwhelmed with the iPhone 5. Obviously the OS was a concern but have people used windows with no problems?

None, really good is - I will say I think, having owned both, the Nokia lumia is by far the better device tho

jack D and coke

None, really good is - I will say I think, having owned both, the Nokia lumia is by far the better device tho

You've owned both? Aren't they both brand new phones?

kingantti1874

You've owned both? Aren't they both brand new phones?

Sorry mate, meant brands of phone - have had several htc's - last one was one x and hated it - ... I had a lumia 900 which my wife now has and I think it's great, I went back to iphone 5 and wish now I'd waited for the 920 (like you now find iOS boring), my mate at work has 920 and its great ( a wee bit heavy ) but superb an the camera in a league all o it's own an that includes iphone 5

Sorry mate, meant brands of phone - have had several htc's - last one was one x and hated it - ... I had a lumia 900 which my wife now has and I think it's great, I went back to iphone 5 and wish now I'd waited for the 920 (like you now find iOS boring), my mate at work has 920 and its great ( a wee bit heavy ) but superb an the camera in a league all o it's own an that includes iphone 5

Another plus for the Lumia 920 is that it can work on 3 different 4g wavelengths allowing it to be unlocked across different networks (when the other 4g wavelengths are auctioned in the next few months) the iphone5 will only get 4g on EE!

jack D and coke

Another plus for the Lumia 920 is that it can work on 3 different 4g wavelengths allowing it to be unlocked across different networks (when the other 4g wavelengths are auctioned in the next few months) the iphone5 will only get 4g on EE!

I had a quick mess around with the Lumia too but **** me it was a heavy piece of kit. Much preferred the feel of the HTC 8X but after reading some reviews im a bit wary of it now. Kind of leaning towards maybe an Android phone just purely for the choice available. I appreciate the S3 is a great phone but it's a bit on the large side although maybe id get used t it... Has anyone got the new Xperia T for instance?

I had a quick mess around with the Lumia too but **** me it was a heavy piece of kit. Much preferred the feel of the HTC 8X but after reading some reviews im a bit wary of it now. Kind of leaning towards maybe an Android phone just purely for the choice available. I appreciate the S3 is a great phone but it's a bit on the large side although maybe id get used t it... Has anyone got the new Xperia T for instance?

Biggest issue with Sony phones for me is the sensitivity of the screens. Waaay too sensitive for my liking (my sony mp4 is the same). They're also very lazy at updating the operating system. Whilst they're not as bad, I've found HTC to be a pain in the ass that way too.

I've ordered a Nexus 4 to get around it as it seems the only way to keep up with android operating software. I wouldn't have this on the way if I hadn't been an arse and lost my HTC though.

I'm attracted by windows phones, but I'm a little bit put off because they seem to protect and close their systems much in the same way apple do. All the apps also seem to cost, but they don't on android.

Archived