TV Deal

vegas-voss

Something on the back page of the Sunday Post about no tv deal for next season as the SFL and SPL continue to disagree on format.Never got a good look at article but is this the start of the SPL starting to scaremonger?

Maroon Sailor

Probably

SKY / ESPN will probably decide league reconstruction anyway. After talking with Green and Lawwell of course

Good, maybe the SPL could make an attempt at maximising TV revenue.

Either put the TV contract out for auction like the premiership do - first choice fixture every week and so on - or let home teams negotiate the tv contracts for their own home games with a percentage going into a central pot.

or let home teams negotiate the tv contracts for their own home games with a percentage going into a central pot.

That would create even more disparity than there is already is. See Real and Barca for how that works.

Something on the back page of the Sunday Post about no tv deal for next season as the SFL and SPL continue to disagree on format.Never got a good look at article but is this the start of the SPL starting to scaremonger?

I await the articles telling us that "Unless The Rangers are promoted straight back to the top level of Scottish football there will be no TV deal next season and Scottish football will face immediate armageddon"

Good, maybe the SPL could make an attempt at maximising TV revenue.

They haven't put themselves in a good bargaining position by spending all summer telling everyone how rubbish the league is without Sevco. Although they have been subsequently proven wrong as we have something approach a competitive league this season and Sellick are in the last 16 of the CL.

I wouldn't trust Doncaster to negotiate a deal on sports socks and lighters at the Barras, never mind a TV deal.

I await the articles telling us that "Unless The Rangers are promoted straight back to the top level of Scottish football there will be no TV deal next season and Scottish football will face immediate armageddon"

I'd love there to be no deal. Might get more bums on seats.

You're probably right about that though.

I'd love there to be no deal. Might get more bums on seats.

You're probably right about that though.

Most games would be 3pm Saturday too. That would be great.

Most games would be 3pm Saturday too. That would be great.

It'd be brilliant.

Just sell the highlights to whoever.

Give the game back to the fans.

No tv deal would mean less money which would mean shitter football and even less folk going to games, let's not kid ourselves on that moving games from 3pm on a Saturday is having that big an effect on attendances.

No tv deal would mean less money which would mean shitter football and even less folk going to games, let's not kid ourselves on that moving games from 3pm on a Saturday is having that big an effect on attendances.

Perhaps.

But those who didn't go wouldn't know how bad it is.

Plus in the 80's etc when we didn't have a TV deal the football was much better.

Perhaps.

But those who didn't go wouldn't know how bad it is.

Plus in the 80's etc when we didn't have a TV deal the football was much better.

It's nothing like the 80s though, when there was no tv deal for any league at all.

We'd be committing financial suicide not having a tv deal.

Aye? You must have been watching a different sport to me then.

Though I dont necessarily disagree with the whole '3pm for games' chat, anyone who has read the fabulous 'Soccernomics' by Kuper and Szymanski, will see a rather convincing argument as to why the discussion about that and 'real fans' et al is, effectively, bulls***. And for those who fancy a good read about why TV can/should and is a good thing for football, take a look at Gab Marcotti's article in Issue 6 of 'The Blizzard'. :)

That would create even more disparity than there is already is. See Real and Barca for how that works.

It would give teams the choice of having games held at 3pm on a Saturday or if they want to inconvenience their fans to grab tv money.

As it stands, apart from derbies, the Old Firm rarely kicked off at home any time other than 3pm at weekends.

It would give teams the choice of having games held at 3pm on a Saturday or if they want to inconvenience their fans to grab tv money.

As it stands, apart from derbies, the Old Firm rarely kicked off at home any time other than 3pm at weekends.

Sorry. That makes little sense. Organise your own rights = grabbing TV money. Organising no rights = no TV money. Whats the point then when other teams will indeed organise rights and leave you behind?

The whole point of organising your own TV deals is to maximise your own financial position ala Real and Barca. How would your plan help?

It's nothing like the 80s though, when there was no tv deal for any league at all.

We'd be committing financial suicide not having a tv deal.

Financial suicide?

I'm not so sure. Its clubs reliance on TV money that is the problem.

What would happen if the SKY etc just pulled out of football? We really need to get away from the reliance on this money and get back to the basics once again.

Aye? You must have been watching a different sport to me then.

Though I dont necessarily disagree with the whole '3pm for games' chat, anyone who has read the fabulous 'Soccernomics' by Kuper and Szymanski, will see a rather convincing argument as to why the discussion about that and 'real fans' et al is, effectively, bulls***. And for those who fancy a good read about why TV can/should and is a good thing for football, take a look at Gab Marcotti's article in Issue 6 of 'The Blizzard'. :)

Are you saying the quality is the same as in the 80's?

Are you saying the quality is the same as in the 80's?

That depends on what you are defining as 'better' I guess.

That depends on what you are defining as 'better' I guess.

Both the standard and the players were better back then surely you'd agree?

Both the standard and the players were better back then surely you'd agree?

Not really. Some players were better. A lot werent. Some of the games were better. A lot werent. I'm no champion of football as it currently stands but I wouldnt say the standard of player or games in 80s was particularly superior to now.

Not really. Some players were better. A lot werent. Some of the games were better. A lot werent. I'm no champion of football as it currently stands but I wouldnt say the standard of player or games in 80s was particularly superior to now.

I know what you mean but in the mid 80's the SPL had 5 teams who could challenge for the title and Scottish teams done much better in Europe.

Also the national team often qualified for the WC. Maybe that was to do with more players playing in England?

Maybe the problem is comparing our teams and players to what we see in the Premiership etc.

I know what you mean but in the mid 80's the SPL had 5 teams who could challenge for the title and Scottish teams done much better in Europe.

Also the national team often qualified for the WC. Maybe that was to do with more players playing in England?

Maybe the problem is comparing our teams and players to what we see in the Premiership etc.

That doesnt mean the standard was necessarily better though. We all look wistfully at a bygone era thinking it was better when, most of the time, it wasnt. Excitement and closeness doesnt necessarily mean to a 'better' standard. My main memories of 80s football was an over reliance on hoofball and OTT tackles.

Scottish teams have always 'punched above their weight'. They did better in Europe and qualifying for WC's for such reasons (though our Euro record is quite poor) and also the one you point out. The reason they get papped oot early doors now, is the standard across much of the continent has improved considerably more than we have. There is a clear thinking in Scotland that 'we know best', when in actual fact, we dont. (I hope that makes sense! :lol: )

The comparison argument is fair enough I suppose.

The main reason Scotland fell to the 'moneymen' wasnt TV. It was David Murray as everyone then chased after them, spending money they didnt have. Being at the mercy of TV, for want of a better phrase, came much later.

That doesnt mean the standard was necessarily better though. We all look wistfully at a bygone era thinking it was better when, most of the time, it wasnt. Excitement and closeness doesnt necessarily mean to a 'better' standard. My main memories of 80s football was an over reliance on hoofball and OTT tackles.

Scottish teams have always 'punched above their weight'. They did better in Europe and qualifying for WC's for such reasons (though our Euro record is quite poor) and also the one you point out. The reason they get papped oot early doors now, is the standard across much of the continent has improved considerably more than we have. There is a clear thinking in Scotland that 'we know best', when in actual fact, we dont. (I hope that makes sense! :lol: )

The comparison argument is fair enough I suppose.

The main reason Scotland fell to the 'moneymen' wasnt TV. It was David Murray as everyone then chased after them, spending money they didnt have. Being at the mercy of TV, for want of a better phrase, came much later.

I get what you're saying. :thumbsup:

The chasing Rangers didn't help.

But why have continental teams gone forward and we haven't? You're spot on with the 'we know best' comment but how can we change that?

The media don't help which comes round to TV again.

Sorry. That makes little sense. Organise your own rights = grabbing TV money. Organising no rights = no TV money. Whats the point then when other teams will indeed organise rights and leave you behind?

The whole point of organising your own TV deals is to maximise your own financial position ala Real and Barca. How would your plan help?

The more convenient kick off times would allow fans to get to the games easier. It would also mean people don't have the option of watching the game on tv so if they want to see the game they have to attend. More consistency in kick-off times would also encourage season ticket sales.

Alternatively, a club may take the approach that they want to be on tv as much as they can for the extra tv cash and therefore increased advertising revenue. They may allow some games to be televised for very little so they are more more attractive to advertisers and maybe build up a wider fan base if they get coverage and manage it well.

Any club good at negotiating should be able to arrange a better deal than the SPL currently gives them after splitting the cash. The Old Firm might be able to bring in more but so should the other clubs. I no longer trust the SPL to negotiate the deals and believe that the clubs negotiating individually would bring in more while giving the clubs greater control over their own fixtures.

Ah. Thats makes a bit more sense though I still think its not particularly workable, which I'll explain when I'm back home after freezing my baws off at the rink. In fairness though, its not too far from Marcotti's idea I mentioned earlier.

If Dumbcaster and Regan are involved in the negotiations then we are goosed.

post-4522-0-86689700-1355075094_thumb.png

Either put the TV contract out for auction like the premiership do - first choice fixture every week and so on - or let home teams negotiate the tv contracts for their own home games with a percentage going into a central pot.

The 1st choice thing is a great idea. Worked out pretty well for the Prem.

jamboinglasgow

The article in the Sunday Post is about a TV deal the SFL were trying to do which they hoped to launch a pay-per-view channel.

kingantti1874

Sorry I your talking in world terms no, if your talking Scottish football - quality is nowhere near the same ..

Near Post Zibby !

Heard somewhere that the Norwegians manage to sell their league TV rights for ?40m. We get ?12m from Sky and couple of Irn Bru empties from the BBC. The BBC pay ?180m to the English Prem. So Scottish license payers subsidise Chelsea, Man City etc. ( Salmond,Swinney,Sturgeon can you not put some pressure on the BBC to sort that ? )

We have negotiating on SPLs behalf the idiot Doncaster ( "SPL is screwed without Rangers" ) and Lawell ( " Celtic want out of Scottish football coz it's crap " ). Great. Like sending a Rabbi and an Imam to sell Halls of Broxburn

The article in the Sunday Post is about a TV deal the SFL were trying to do which they hoped to launch a pay-per-view channel.

Exactly 28 pages were discused after 1 post which had nothing to do with the quote , it would help us all if the person who put it up had actually read the info before shocking us into thinking scottish football was going to the wall.

Psychedelicropcircle

I read somewhere that 33% of sky sports viewers are based in Scotland. I don't know if this is factual, but if it is how is the EPL is having ? thrown at it left right and centre and we are treated like the ginger stepchild. The team that goes down this year in the EPL will receive more money than the champions last year. I am in no way comparing the EPL as an equal to the SPL but the facts are there money is going up and ours is going down. if the 33% is right then we need a mass cancellation of Sky subscriptions.

Thoughts please.

I read somewhere that 33% of sky sports viewers are based in Scotland. I don't know if this is factual, but if it is how is the EPL is having ? thrown at it left right and centre and we are treated like the ginger stepchild. The team that goes down this year in the EPL will receive more money than the champions last year. I am in no way comparing the EPL as an equal to the SPL but the facts are there money is going up and ours is going down. if the 33% is right then we need a mass cancellation of Sky subscriptions.

Thoughts please.

Cancelled sky a while back now. Refuse to hand cash over to Murdoch and co.

Thoughts please.

http://wingsland.podgamer.com/quick-number-crunching/

Here,read this and let us know.

I have a dissertation due in the next while and it's actually about the SPL and their television deal. I have a small questionnaire I would love for folk here to fill in if they're willing. It's my intention to have the dissertation published, and would like to include the comments of football fans.

Anyway here is the questionnaire

Q1. What impact, if any, does broadcasting football on television have on the sport in terms of our leagues and club teams?

Q2. What impact, if any, does broadcasting football on television have on the sport in terms of our national football team?

Q3. How important is it to continue broadcasting Scottish football and delivering it as a public service?

Q4. How difficult is it for the SFA/SPL/SFL to negotiate the best deal for the league/product which brings in the best revenue for the sport

Q5. How important is it for Scottish Football to compete with other nations leagues in terms of being broadcast on television?

Q6. Looking at the future of Scottish Football being broadcast, what new technologies have impacted how football is shown and how football will continue to be shown to customers and fans?

Q7. Looking at the future, how are the SFA/SPL/broadcasters looking to help the growth of Scottish Football and youth players pushing through?

Q8. How responsible are broadcasters for the future of Scottish Football?

Q9. How viable is SPLTV?

Q10. What improvements could be made to help shape the future of the game in Scotland?

Q.11 How important is football to our national culture and identity?

And that will be from Stewart Doncaster,

Thoughts please.

I think it is not far off the mark, but how many subscribe for Scottish Football? Not many, is my guess, either pre or post NewCo.

I think it is not far off the mark, but how many subscribe for Scottish Football? Not many, is my guess, either pre or post NewCo.

But the newco lot were all going to cancell there Sky subscriptions cos chuck told them so.

Archived