Swansea - When a managers surname summarises a team performance

Deodato

I loved watching the Laudrup's play, back in the day.

On MOTD tonight, you're going to love watching Laudrup's management skills being put to work.

Swansea have impressed this season. They have a European shape and many European players. Today they did more than just impress.

My first Arsenal game in quite some time, but from the get-go it was clear that Swansea presented a formation that challenged Arsenal. Short tight passes in the middle of the park soaked up red shirts, then through balls into the danger zone capitalised on the gaps. They had the edge in the first half, and at times had Arsenal confused, in front of 50,000 (that's 10,000 red seats) home fans.

Second half, they changed it. Dropping back, the game was played in their half and they were clearly looking for the breaks. Arsenal threatened the box, but rarely threatened the goal and Swansea never resorted to hoof ball to clear their lines. Swansea have a player called Briiton and he's worth watching: he was too smart for Arsenal, too fast for their sideways passing and too hungry to take back possession.

Swansea had this lazy stroller, the Spanish striker Michu who was nabbed for ?2m, walking around all day doing next to nowt. Roll on last fifteen minutes and he decides to wake up once, then twice. Two goals with his head up, two goals leaving a keeper furious.

All I'm saying is this: the Laudrup brothers were intelligent footballers. I don't know how much the Swansea team cost but they were multiple times more intelligent than Arsenal at the Emirates today, but must of cost a fraction of the price. For those paying ?1,560 per season ticket, it's a shambles. Swansea didn't just beat Arsenal, they taught them a lesson by changing formation, tactical awareness and great ball skills.

Arsenal are sliding, Swansea are forcing the pace of that slide by being more intelligent than them. Laudrup has done an amazing job in a short space of time. His surname was all over today's performance. Seventh place and rising - would be interested in the bet options and odds if someone can post them?

Deodato

Archived