Newcraighall Park and Ride

JamboSean

Any body use this? If so, what's it like? Any information is welcome. Price, times, how long it takes, how often they come, ect.

Starting a new job in the next few weeks at Edinburgh Park and thinking the Park and Ride will be the best bet rather than the city bypass there and back.

davemclaren

I've used it on occasion. Trains are every half hour, not sure of he cost though. Pretty quick into city centre and then on to Edinburgh Park.

portobellojambo1
Any body use this? If so, what's it like? Any information is welcome. Price, times, how long it takes, how often they come, ect.

Starting a new job in the next few weeks at Edinburgh Park and thinking the Park and Ride will be the best bet rather than the city bypass there and back.

Don't know which part of Portobello you are in JamboSean but suspect there is a station closer to you. I used to have a rail pass, and I work over at Edinburgh Park, and took the train everyday from Brunstane station, which is in Brunstane Road South (road that leads up to Gilberstoun). It is a 5 mniute walk up from St Philips Church along Joppa way. As Dave says trains are one every half hour, from Brunstane takes between 19 and 25 minutes to get to Edinburgh Park, and my annual pass was around ?415 I think (will be more now though).

After my pass expired I started using the X26, which adds an extra 2.5-3 hours journey time onto your working day, if I wasn't in limbo house wise at the moment I would definitely go back to using the train.

Don't know which part of Portobello you are in JamboSean but suspect there is a station closer to you. I used to have a rail pass, and I work over at Edinburgh Park, and took the train everyday from Brunstane station, which is in Brunstane Road South (road that leads up to Gilberstoun). It is a 5 mniute walk up from St Philips Church along Joppa way. As Dave says trains are one every half hour, from Brunstane takes between 19 and 25 minutes to get to Edinburgh Park, and my annual pass was around ?415 I think (will be more now though).

After my pass expired I started using the X26, which adds an extra 2.5-3 hours journey time onto your working day, if I wasn't in limbo house wise at the moment I would definitely go back to using the train.

That's the one I'd use. I'd definately be using the train rather than the bus. I'm thinking that's the easiest way to do since I'll be coming from Tranent half the week.

It's ?3.40 a day return from Brunstane to Edinburgh park. I've just started using it after getting my car scrapped, much quicker than the buses.

You can get the times from here:

http://www.thetrainline.com

How much does it cost up against driving? My main dilemma is what will be cheapest and quickest to use. I'm guessing the driving is longer but cheaper?

Carl Weathers
How much does it cost up against driving? My main dilemma is what will be cheapest and quickest to use. I'm guessing the driving is longer but cheaper?

I was putting ?20-?25 on petrol a week, easy.

Train 5 days a week works out at ?17.

The bus is the cheaper option but it really is soul destroying.

Timewise:

Bus

I can get the x26 at 8am and get to Edinburgh park for 9.20-30am

On the way back I jump on the 22 to Princess street and then wait for a 26. The time varies between an hour and an hour and a half.

Train

The train station is a 10min walk from the house, 20mins journey max and then it's a 10min walk to work. Same on the way back.

Car

Was working out at just under an hour to get in but was pretty quick to get home as I usually work late or go to the gym after.

The best thing to do is try all and see what suits you best.

I was putting ?20-?25 on petrol a week, easy.

Train 5 days a week works out at ?17.

The bus is the cheaper option but it really is soul destroying.

Timewise:

Bus

I can get the x26 at 8am and get to Edinburgh park for 9.20-30am

On the way back I jump on the 22 to Princess street and then wait for a 26. The time varies between an hour and an hour and a half.

Train

The train station is a 10min walk from the house, 20mins journey max and then it's a 10min walk to work. Same on the way back.

Car

Was working out at just under an hour to get in but was pretty quick to get home as I usually work late or go to the gym after.

The best thing to do is try all and see what suits you best.

Think I'll drive the first couple of weeks and then try the train. See what turns out best.

Cheers for the help. Might see you at football one Wednesday if Jimmy ever asks me to play again. ;)

Carl Weathers
Think I'll drive the first couple of weeks and then try the train. See what turns out best.

Cheers for the help. Might see you at football one Wednesday if Jimmy ever asks me to play again. ;)

No prob's. Just let him know you fancy a game!

:)

Archived