Protecting computer from viruses etc

Medico

Just looking for a quick bit of help

Had to uninstall Norton Antivirus from my laptop because it was messing it up and wouldn't let me access the internet at all.

I currently have Windows Firewall running but is that enough for it to be protected or do I need to put some form of Anti-virus software on it too?

Download avg free anti virus software.

Also ad aware and spybot which are also free.

That should be all you need unless there are any other recommendations.

Miller Jambo 60
Just looking for a quick bit of help

Had to uninstall Norton Antivirus from my laptop because it was messing it up and wouldn't let me access the internet at all.

I currently have Windows Firewall running but is that enough for it to be protected or do I need to put some form of Anti-virus software on it too?

Dont understand why it should stop your internet, i have norton on my laptop no probs.

Have Mcafee on my other 2 computers with no probs.

Are you working of a ROUTER with security settings.

Might be the prob.

I love MIKO

shouldn't have uninstalled it mate. Don't see why it wouldn't work must have been your settings.

Norton and Macafee are the best.

Thanks for the help Deek.

I'm not sure why it stopped working to be honest, I tried changing the settings and restarting it and everything but nothing was working and I had work I needed to get done today.

It kept saying that auto-protect was off, but wouldn't let me run LiveUpdate and I ran scans and checks but it made no difference.

Have got the disk anyway so it can be re-installed at a later date I just couldn't be doing with it messing me around today. It did the same once before uninstalling and re-installing worked, it just takes ages to

I hate McAfee and Norton - they are both SO large and obtrusive on your PC.

I run:

ZoneAlarm free (firewall)

AVG Antivirus free (anti-virus)

AVG AntiSpyware free (anti-spyware)

Never had any issues...

maltese jambo
Thanks for the help Deek.

I'm not sure why it stopped working to be honest, I tried changing the settings and restarting it and everything but nothing was working and I had work I needed to get done today.

It kept saying that auto-protect was off, but wouldn't let me run LiveUpdate and I ran scans and checks but it made no difference.

Have got the disk anyway so it can be re-installed at a later date I just couldn't be doing with it messing me around today. It did the same once before uninstalling and re-installing worked, it just takes ages to

Norton is more trouble than its worth.

AVG is good but i feel the best program you can get is NOD32. If you have a router already it should have a built in firewall, and for an anti-spyware i'd use Ad Aware 2007.

Archived