John Hobo Sc** Hughes goes up in my estimations

Marsh

I like the guy. He is as honest as the day is long. The truth will cost him dear, but good luck to him for calling it how it is.

The GFA refuse to acknowledge the truth and as a result the game as a whole in Scotland suffers. This will be the case until such time as the administration of the game is wrenched from the hands of the dunderheads and handed over to the enlightened.

"If he is good enough to referee in the SPL, he should be good enough to referee anybody in the SPL."

And we all know rookie refs will never start out with a Rangers or Celtic game and they will have to wait years before they referee an old-firm game.

The old-firm ARE treated differently and Hughes has a point.

Pete Seeger

I like Yogi to be honest. Fair enough he's not very articulate but he speaks a lot of sense and calls a spade a spade. And he has a point here. Even MacPherson is agreeing with him

Tbh i would love Yogi to be manager at Hearts.

No. He's a Hobo tramp like the rest of them.

Look at your own location on this. How can you live in Hobo-free zone when you want one as our manager?

Hughes will never be a good enough manager to be in charge of Heart of Midlothian. He's on a par with Frail.

jambo walesy

Look at your own location on this. How can you live in Hobo-free zone when you want one as our manager?

Hughes will never be a good enough manager to be in charge of Heart of Midlothian. He's on a par with Frail.

You joking?

Look what he has done with a shoe string budget at Falkirk.

He's got them playing good football and just narrowly missed out on the top 6 which for a club of their size is an achievment.

Fair enough he was a Hobo tramp when he was a player but he always comes across as a pretty decent respectable guy as a manager.

You joking?

Look what he has done with a shoe string budget at Falkirk.

He's got them playing good football and just narrowly missed out on the top 6 which for a club of their size is an achievment.

Fair enough he was a Hobo tramp when he was a player but he always comes across as a pretty decent respectable guy as a manager.

A. Hobo. Tramp.

He has done well at Falkirk and has them playing decent stuff. But, like Frail, he'll never be good enough.

maltese jambo
Tbh i would love Yogi to be manager at Hearts.

agree with you mate...

to all those who prejudice him as a 'hobo'....beggers can hardly be choosers can they? and we could do a damned sight worse than him.

jambo walesy
A. Hobo. Tramp.

He has done well at Falkirk and has them playing decent stuff. But, like Frail, he'll never be good enough.

Maybe not in the long term but just to get us back to being regular challengers for third i think he would do a good job.

Denny Crane

To be fair to Hughes, having met him on a couple of occasions, he does have good things to say about Hearts. Although he admits freely to wanting Hibs to supercede Hearts in everything, he's not as blinkered as some of his cohorts (or indeed some of our own when it comes to discussing the merits of our nearest and dearest) when evaluating Hearts.

I like the guy. He is as honest as the day is long. The truth will cost him dear, but good luck to him for calling it how it is.

The GFA refuse to acknowledge the truth and as a result the game as a whole in Scotland suffers. This will be the case until such time as the administration of the game is wrenched from the hands of the dunderheads and handed over to the enlightened.

Here's BBC link to his post match interview -

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/7364815.stm

At least he calls it how he sees it ..........

So we ALL agree that the SFA is a joke and that Scottish football as a whole is a disgrace.

That's that settled then.

monkfish1979

I reckon Yogi's alright - got a lot more time for him as a manager than I did when he was a player. Funny how you look at comments differently when they're made by another team's manager and not our own (admittedly demented) chairman.

Still think Hughes looks like a horse trying to eat an apple when he talks, mind.

I want to dislike him but I always seem to find myself agreeing with him...Only time I remember thinking he was wrong was when he said Darren Barr was a "guid honest Scottish laddie" after he got sent off against us. Barr then got sent off again a few games later.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
"If he is good enough to referee in the SPL, he should be good enough to referee anybody in the SPL."

And we all know rookie refs will never start out with a Rangers or Celtic game and they will have to wait years before they referee an old-firm game.

The old-firm ARE treated differently and Hughes has a point.

Impossible to argue with that.

shaun.lawson

Hughes is a good young manager who's done tremendously well at Falkirk, improved them year-on-year, and has a very bright future. Does anyone ever stop to ask themselves how, if he's so thick, he's done as well as he has?

And 'Hobo tramp', JamboSean? Actually, it's people who make comments such as these that are the real tramps. I could not give a flying one if he played for Hibs, is from Leith, or whatever: all I care about is what a manager can do for Hearts. He's a true football man, and I'd be happy if he was appointed - not that there's any chance he will be, of course.

good on yogi for coming out with that

he'll get a fine now doubt, which will be considerably less than if frail said it, and falkirk will lose a few quid, but if ALL non old squirm managers came out and said "well, think about game X where player Z did exactly the same and never even was spoken to..." as an example, after matches and highlighted general ref incompitence then we might be able to start moving forwards in the vague hope we all get reffed the same

its not that refs are blinkered, biased, bigots, OF sympathisers.... its that no 2 teams get the same standard of referee, and yogi DEFINITELY has a point

givememychoice

Ok, i think there is fairly regular dubiousness from the refs. However, i also think peoples stances are going too far.

If we were in the top six would robinson have had his chance today?

Would he heck.

We use this time to blood new players, why shouldnt the SFA blood new refs at this time of the season?

Do we get "new blood" for our derbies? Nope

Look at some of the managers in england who rest their players in the games against small teams, to make sure they have their best out for the big games. I think its only fair that crucial matches in any title race get the best batch of officials. These are the ones that will get the biggest scrutiny. The same batch of referees should also officiate the key relegation games.

What is the SFA to do?

People complain the refs arent good enough, so they try to blood some more, only to be criticised for doing so.

I think we do have issues with the quality of refsm but for all of Hughes criticisms, he doesnt offer a realistic solution.

Ok, i think there is fairly regular dubiousness from the refs. However, i also think peoples stances are going too far.

If we were in the top six would robinson have had his chance today?

Would he heck.

We use this time to blood new players, why shouldnt the SFA blood new refs at this time of the season?

Do we get "new blood" for our derbies? Nope

Look at some of the managers in england who rest their players in the games against small teams, to make sure they have their best out for the big games. I think its only fair that crucial matches in any title race get the best batch of officials. These are the ones that will get the biggest scrutiny. The same batch of referees should also officiate the key relegation games.

What is the SFA to do?

People complain the refs arent good enough, so they try to blood some more, only to be criticised for doing so.

I think we do have issues with the quality of refsm but for all of Hughes criticisms, he doesnt offer a realistic solution.

I agree with your analysis of the situation. Hughes' argument is weakened when he talks about yesterday's referee being "thrown in at the deep end". St Mirren vs Falkirk in the bottom six at the fag-end of the season is hardly at the cutting edge of footballing intensity. Where and when is the SFA supposed to give new refs their first SPL experience if not in games like this?

While I agree that the OF are never going to get a rookie referee, they're always in the top six where things tend to matter more.

The cruckie cookie

Just listened to the interview with Yogi and he is spot on imo. McVicar and Dallas are using the bottom six sides especially Falkirk as learning games for their rookies. He is only wanting a level playing field with every other Spl member club.

Well done yogi

crazy_jambo_2006

He'd never manage us, so we don't need to even consider that.

But I like the guy. The guy has passion. He loves the game. He's knocked his pan in at Falkirk and been quite successful. He reminds me of Butcher, in that both hard guys, don't tolerate fools and morons, both passionate about their teams. Butcher while Motherwell manager kicked a door in at Easter Road. I imagine Hughes has done similar. I like that passion.

Just listened to the interview with Yogi and he is spot on imo. McVicar and Dallas are using the bottom six sides especially Falkirk as learning games for their rookies. He is only wanting a level playing field with every other Spl member club.

Well done yogi

Got to agree with that. Remember he was a Celtc player too.

Got to agree with that. Remember he was a Celtc player too.

Which is probably what stops him getting hammered by the SFA whenever he has one of these rants.

He's never slow in shouting his mouth off and, unlike a certain person who they changed the rules to punish, he never seems to get pulled up for it.

Well done yogi

There is little doubt that there is a selected number of Grade 1 referees who only get the prestigious appointments. Those are people who are seen to be competent and have "proved" themselves over quite a few seasons. There has to be some mechanism for bringing in new Grade 1 referees into the SPL and these is little doubt that teams at the bottom end of the league are used to help cushion these referees in. Personally, I think that just as long as these guys are reasonably competent, there is little wrong with doing this.

One thing is certain and that is that just now the level of performance of refereeing in the SPL is at an all time low and it's about time that steps were being taken to address this.

The cruckie cookie
There is little doubt that there is a selected number of Grade 1 referees who only get the prestigious appointments. Those are people who are seen to be competent and have "proved" themselves over quite a few seasons. There has to be some mechanism for bringing in new Grade 1 referees into the SPL and these is little doubt that teams at the bottom end of the league are used to help cushion these referees in. Personally, I think that just as long as these guys are reasonably competent, there is little wrong with doing this. One thing is certain and that is that just now the level of performance of refereeing in the SPL is at an all time low and it's about time that steps were being taken to address this.

The trouble with this is that they are not competant, although it's not just the new ones. Why Falkirk et al should have to put up with the rookies is nonsense. He is only asking for the same refs to be given to other teams in the league and why not. As he said if it's good enough for Falkirk then why not the rest. They had a man sent off yesterday rather dubiously in most reports, and at the end of the season the GFA will probably fine Falkirk and others for some rash disciplinary record to which they have helped manufacture.

Level playing field for all is the only FAIR way.

I've posted this before, but it is relevant to this thread.

Living in Stirlingshire I encounter a number of Falkirk fans. They would be delighted if we took John Hughes off their hands.

His deduction that the OF is favoured scarcely makes him a genius.

One point not yet made.

Where was he when we had ref trouble, and Vlad was telling it as it is? He can GTF along with every other manager and fan, that did not stand up to the GFA at the time. Vlad took a hit and everyone else buried their head in the sand. The only way things will change, is if every club, owner down to every fan, stands up to the GFA.

The trouble with this is that they are not competant, although it's not just the new ones. Why Falkirk et al should have to put up with the rookies is nonsense. He is only asking for the same refs to be given to other teams in the league and why not. As he said if it's good enough for Falkirk then why not the rest. They had a man sent off yesterday rather dubiously in most reports, and at the end of the season the GFA will probably fine Falkirk and others for some rash disciplinary record to which they have helped manufacture.

Level playing field for all is the only FAIR way.

The ideal solution would be for all Grade 1's to be eligible for all matches and the ballot to be totally fair and above board, however, it will never work that way. There is a pecking order for Grade 1's with an elite group that tend to get the bigger matches - these are officials who are tried and tested (supposedly), such as Dougal, Smith, McCurry, and sadly McDonald. There is then an under group consistiing of official such as Underwood, Brines, Richmond, Murray, and Collum who still pick up big matches from time to time but tend to get the other SPL games. New Grade 1's always start in the SFL and work their way up until they are seen as competent enough top pick up the odd SPL game. It's an unfortunate fact but a new comer is never going to get a sniff at matches involving either of the Old Firm. or any of the bigger games involving Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen.

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic
One point not yet made.

Where was he when we had ref trouble, and Vlad was telling it as it is? He can GTF along with every other manager and fan, that did not stand up to the GFA at the time. Vlad took a hit and everyone else buried their head in the sand. The only way things will change, is if every club, owner down to every fan, stands up to the GFA.

I suppose he could ask where we are now? He's made a statement and has anybody backed him up?

He made the statement because his players were sent off, not because he wants to try anf change things. Had he stood by us, then perhaps this would not have happened, so tough luck to him. IMHO.

agree with you mate...

to all those who prejudice him as a 'hobo'....beggers can hardly be choosers can they? and we could do a damned sight worse than him.

Not sure when we dropped to that level.

If we were to offer a manager the job of manager as we all understand it, we would be looking at much better candidates.

Even if we don't, Hughes would (rightly) tell us to get tae if we offered him the "shop front" job that masquerades as our manager.

I sit right beside the away dugouts and Yogi Hughes is pretty good entertainment. He loves his football and will happily banter with the Hearts fans - at his own expense as well as ours. He cares about his team and obviously wants to keep himself in a job, but he doesn't make the mistake of appearing to take himself too seriously unless the occasion demands it.

I would be delighted if Hughes were to get the Hearts manager job as per the January 1st statement.

He has a tremendous record at Falkirk.

Can't remember the likes of you calling Robbo names like that before he became manager and he's a self confessed Hobo!

He'd never manage us, so we don't need to even consider that.

But I like the guy. The guy has passion. He loves the game. He's knocked his pan in at Falkirk and been quite successful. He reminds me of Butcher, in that both hard guys, don't tolerate fools and morons, both passionate about their teams. Butcher while Motherwell manager kicked a door in at Easter Road. I imagine Hughes has done similar. I like that passion.

That means he will not be considered and would not come if asked.

Romanov needs an arselicker like Frail to continue with his 'methods'

Archived