Gordon's weakness?

Millfield_Mackem

When he was with us, his main two weaknesses were coming out to claim crosses and his poor kicking.

I know for a fact that he's been working very hard on his kicking recently anf from watching MOTD, I've noticed an improvement.

Guest hoggis
His only weakness was signing for a bad side. Sorry Millfield its the truth!

:confused:

Aye,made the wrong choice there. Signing for a team that looks to have cemented Premiership football next season.

gorgie rd eh11
Coming for crosses?

He was ********ing superb today at it.

He's quality all round. You got a great young keeper who is only going to get better. Enjoy you lucky b*****d :)

Doctor FinnBarr
Aye,made the wrong choice there. Signing for a team that looks to have cemented Premiership football next season.

But farting around at the wrong end of the table!

;)

vancouverjambo

I can't agree with this. Keane is going to have lots of money to spend in the summer and Sunderland will only get better. I watch them pretty much every week, and I think with some wise investment in the summer (particularly in defence), they will be a pretty solid team next season. Gordon made a good decision - great fans, great management and executive team, great structure, and bright future for both Sunderland and Craig Gordon I reckon!

Millfield_Mackem
I can't agree with this. Keane is going to have lots of money to spend in the summer and Sunderland will only get better. I watch them pretty much every week, and I think with some wise investment in the summer (particularly in defence), they will be a pretty solid team next season. Gordon made a good decision - great fans, great management and executive team, great structure, and bright future for both Sunderland and Craig Gordon I reckon!

Great post. Nee bias at all. ;)

I'd kiss you if i could.

Over the oon to have secured premiership safety.

vancouverjambo
Great post. Nee bias at all. ;)

I'd kiss you if i could.

Over the oon to have secured premiership safety.

I feel loved:p

Doctor FinnBarr

Great fans? I,m going to disagree with you there (wifes a Geordie)!

;)

Millfield_Mackem

;)

We are mint. :cool:

vancouverjambo

;)

I'm just saying it like I see it. The Geordie's have a decent set of fans too though. Both sets of fans are behind their clubs through thick and thin.

What Craig Gordon needs is confidence in his defence , i didint really think he had it with Sunderland at the start of the season , your defence always looked dodgey at the start of the season.

Victor Meldrew

IIRC, Villa were interested in signing him too.

It's clear which is the best club - andit's not the one Gordon chose.

Sunderland will be back in the Championship after next season. Craig will get a move to a better club.

Just back from Sunderland. Awesome game! what an atmosphere, the whole stand was bouncing! thoroughly entertaining game. I've had a great day.

Gordon was superb. Made a great reaction save before boros 2nd goal (which Im convinced was offside, I'll need to watch higfhlights) As for the crosses he was outstanding, even under severe pressure he plucked a number of balls out the air and done fantastically well to hold on.

His kicking looked good too but I guess it helps having big Kenwyne up front as he is rarely beaten to a ball.

was at the game today, thought his take in injury time was superb and killed the game. Great match and well played sunderland.

Moe Szyslak

Nice to see the mackems resurface after being surprisingly quiet last week for some reason :zip:

I guess all their derby victory predictions must have been referring to the Boro game :oopsoops:

The Vulture
IIRC, Villa were interested in signing him too.

It's clear which is the best club - andit's not the one Gordon chose.

Sunderland will be back in the Championship after next season. Craig will get a move to a better club.

Birmingham is a hole, he made the right decision. Only a couple of hours away from Edinburgh too. Birmingham is one big traffic jam. Also glad he didn't go there and told O Neil, nah don't want to play in your team.

Doctor FinnBarr
Nice to see the mackems resurface after being surprisingly quiet last week for some reason :zip:

I guess all their derby victory predictions must have been referring to the Boro game :oopsoops:

:4_1_72:

Best keeper i have ever seen. One more season at the black cats and he will be off to one of the big boys I think

hearts @ heart

Please sunderland got the result today, for Craig, Vlads pocket (erhhh) and the Sunderland fans.

Thats coming from someone who has a soft spot for Newcastle.

Means more debies next year. That cant be bad.

Well done.

100% disagree!

Sunderland are a big side just see attendences last year in the Championship(put our poxy crowds to shame)

also if he signed for Man Utd etc he would not have as much saves to make. He is playing against the best strikers in the world every week and getting lots of practice.

good for his career and good for Scotland

100% disagree!

Sunderland are a big side just see attendences last year in the Championship(put our poxy crowds to shame)

also if he signed for Man Utd etc he would not have as much saves to make. He is playing against the best strikers in the world every week and getting lots of practice.

As long as Keane is afforded serious money again this summer then they may become a good side but they are not a big side at present, just a big club, slumpering giant whatever...

I think Gordon would have been better to see what Man City or Aston Villa were offering, but then perhaps he was just so desperate to get out of Hearts at the time that he jumped at the first chance that genuinely came along.

portobellojambo1
As long as Keane is afforded serious money again this summer then they may become a good side but they are not a big side at present, just a big club, slumpering giant whatever...

I think Gordon would have been better to see what Man City or Aston Villa were offering, but then perhaps he was just so desperate to get out of Hearts at the time that he jumped at the first chance that genuinely came along.

I think there is definite potential at Sunderland Spellczech, given Keane's drive and the fact Niall Quinn seems quite willing to pump money into the club, and trusts Keane's judgement with regard to how it is spent.

Specifically in relation to Craig Gordon I see his situation as very similar to Andy Goram's at Hibs. A very good goalkeeper in a relatively ordinary side, who if he performs well consistently will attract bigger suitors, as happened to Goram.

Footballfirst

I don't know if anyone has been working on him to be more dominant with cross balls, but I do think that his weakness is a lack of bravery in contact situations, cross balls are one, but the other in coming out one on one with a forward. He initially tries to make himself "big" which is a good thing but he needs to keep on closing down on the ball. He tends to stop, then commit himself to go one way or another (usuallyto his left), leaving a composed forward to slide the ball past him.

I'd like to see him continue to close down the options on a forward by keping going forward in these situations even if it means that he takes the odd knock for his trouble. Had he done so this season, he may have saved half a dozen or so goals.

100% disagree!

Only man utd beat the crowds at sunderland most weeks. Stadium of Light is one of the biggest stadiums in Britain too.

100% agree with everything you said, spot on.

Frankenstein Jambo.

Think Gordon is the best goalkeeper in britain by a long shot and given 1 more year, will eclipse Peter cech

Jambof3tornado
Think Gordon is the best goalkeeper in britain by a long shot and given 1 more year, will eclipse Peter cech

If he had a decent defence he would already be eclipsing Cech(aka man in the iron mask).

He has made the position his own which we all knew he would and although he has let in some goals this season he is partly the reason that sunderland canlook forward to another year in the Premier league. More investment will come and Sunderland will get back into the top half next season.

Moe Szyslak
Only man utd beat the crowds at sunderland most weeks. Stadium of Light is one of the biggest stadiums in Britain too.

What are you talking about? Arsenal get 60,000 at the Emirates, while the mackems have had several crowds below 40,000. Or are you being selective and only including those weeks when Arsenal are playing away or on a different day?

I guess you're excluding Newcastle too as they don't play their home games the same week as the mackems, but the Toon's lowest league crowd of the season was still higher than the capacity of the SoS.

Millfield_Mackem
What are you talking about? Arsenal get 60,000 at the Emirates, while the mackems have had several crowds below 40,000. Or are you being selective and only including those weeks when Arsenal are playing away or on a different day?

I guess you're excluding Newcastle too as they don't play their home games the same week as the mackems, but the Toon's lowest league crowd of the season was still higher than the capacity of the SoS.

Free Ticket Mags.

Actually I was basing my statement purely on yesterdays match program. Don't have it now so I can't quote. I could well be wrong then or Arsenal/Newcastle could well have been away. Stadium of light is still huge and attendances must be in the top 5, I'd guess. If anyone can be bothered to look online for some stats I'm sure there would be a few stats to back this up.

Moe Szyslak
Free Ticket Mags.

Nah, that's a mackem trick (as brilliantly portrayed in the film Purely Belter).

They should have tried giving away another 3000 free tickets for the smoggies game yesterday, then maybe they could have celebrated their survival in front of a rare full house.

Millfield_Mackem
Actually I was basing my statement purely on yesterdays match program. Don't have it now so I can't quote. I could well be wrong then or Arsenal/Newcastle could well have been away. Stadium of light is still huge and attendances must be in the top 5, I'd guess. If anyone can be bothered to look online for some stats I'm sure there would be a few stats to back this up.

You're correct. We are close behind Liverpool.

Fantastic support considering the circumstances.

Millfield_Mackem
Nah, that's a mackem trick (as brilliantly portrayed in the film Purely Belter).

They should have tried giving away another 3000 free tickets for the smoggies game yesterday, then maybe they could have celebrated their survival in front of a rare full house.

Sure?

We might give tickets to schools, but give them away? You're wrong.

I can think of 3 occasions where you lot have give tickets away this season.

FTM;)

Had a look. http://www.4thegame.com/statistics/premiership/attendances/

top 5 for avg. attendance but I'm sure there must have been weeks when sunderland have been in top two, as you say other teams playing away etc

1- Man Utd

2- Arsenal

3- Newcastle

4- Liverpool

5- Sunderland

Just cause you're a Newcastle fan Moe (or so it appears) there is no need to come over so hostile.

Moe Szyslak
Had a look. http://www.4thegame.com/statistics/premiership/attendances/

top 5 for avg. attendance but I'm sure there must have been weeks when sunderland have been in top two, as you say other teams playing away etc

1- Man Utd

2- Arsenal

3- Newcastle

4- Liverpool

5- Sunderland

Just cause you're a Newcastle fan Moe (or so it appears) there is no need to come over so hostile.

I am indeed Alan but no hostility intended, just banter :)

Given the recent records of Newcastle and Sunderland, it's remarkable that both are in the top 5.

Moe Szyslak
Sure?

We might give tickets to schools, but give them away? You're wrong.

I can think of 3 occasions where you lot have give tickets away this season.

FTM;)

So, based on the very helpful link provided by Alan_R, you're saying that the reason Newcastle's average crowd is 8000 higher than yours is by giving tickets away? And you lot don't give away any, despite having banks of empty seats to fill?

Nice theory, except that Newcastle have more season-ticket holders than your entire average crowd including away fans. But just keep believing it if it makes you happy. Just like the only reason Newcastle won that stroll in the park last Sunday was because you had a couple of injuries.

How did you enjoy the game anyway? I was looking to have a chat about it on here afterwards, but the mackems seemed to be keeping a low profile for some reason.

Congratulations on staying up though. It makes it so much easier to extend the unbeaten derby record (currently 9 in a row) when both teams are in the same division.

SMB ;)

Millfield_Mackem
So, based on the very helpful link provided by Alan_R, you're saying that the reason Newcastle's average crowd is 8000 higher than yours is by giving tickets away? And you lot don't give away any, despite having banks of empty seats to fill?

Nice theory, except that Newcastle have more season-ticket holders than your entire average crowd including away fans. But just keep believing it if it makes you happy. Just like the only reason Newcastle won that stroll in the park last Sunday was because you had a couple of injuries.

How did you enjoy the game anyway? I was looking to have a chat about it on here afterwards, but the mackems seemed to be keeping a low profile for some reason.

Congratulations on staying up though. It makes it so much easier to extend the unbeaten derby record (currently 9 in a row) when both teams are in the same division.

SMB ;)

I havn't said anything of the sort. The free ticket mags thing was a slight dig, nothing serious.

The comment on the our game about our injuries- If we had Evans and Bardsley in the team, the game would have been a much tighter contest. As you saw McShane is a liability.

I wasn't on here after the Newcastle game, due to important goings on in my life, which put football into perspective.

Your time is coming.

FTM;)

Moe Szyslak
I havn't said anything of the sort. The free ticket mags thing was a slight dig, nothing serious.

The comment on the our game about our injuries- If we had Evans and Bardsley in the team, the game would have been a much tighter contest. As you saw McShane is a liability.

I wasn't on here after the Newcastle game, due to important goings on in my life, which put football into perspective.

Your time is coming.

FTM;)

If, if, if...

Obviously McShane's a liability, but who's fault is it that you've got nobody better than him as squad cover?

And of course you'll win one eventually. Given how even the derby record has been over the years, you're long overdue (8 years to be precise).

Hope the other stuff isn't as serious as it sounds.

Nucky Thompson
i'd say penalties. Doesn't save as many as a keeper of his quality should imo
He's never been beaten in a penalty shoot out at any level:rolleyes:

gordons going to be in spain or italy next year

on hoilday......or back at hearts

for a pie

Archived