Heart of Midlothian Football Club- What does it mean to you?

Harry Palmer

Harry Palmer

Is it the novel?(Which I've never read I'm sorry to say.) Or the badge on the Royal Mile, where its regarded as good luck to spit on the Heart? So I heard from a teacher....

I've not known any different, for over 20+ years. I remember my first game, a friend of my dad was a hotelier and knew Mr Mercer... Myself and my dad arrived at about noon and I was given my own personal tour of Tynie, through the Main Stand.. being only 7 yo....WOW! I have already mentioned (elsewhere!) that Robbo scored with a freekick against 'Tic, Scottish Cup, '87.

The next game we were both at was 1992(derby?) 'Magic' scored. May have been 1993, it was part of the 22 in a row video.... Fashanu....

Anyway,

I think Heart of Midlothian Football Club is part of my identity, it has shaped who I am. Without it I'd be lost..

I remember almost crying at the '96 cup final, but I still watched it. The Diddy cup final when Neil ripped them a new backside.... I was relying on updates from a 'tic supporting colleague.

1998: When I found out that my mates brother had a spare ticket for the final but decided NOT to tell me!!!My friend was a hun at the time! However, we had already won the cup when I found this out.....

My brother has turned to the dark side; from the sheep to hobos. One of my previous Jambos has become a Hobo following the Rix 'debacle'.

Heart of Midlothian Football Club I STILL LOVE YOU!!!!!!!!!"!!!!

I support Hearts because they are Hearts and they are in my blood. It's like an incurable disease or an addiction that cannot be stopped, there is no cure. I always said I'd support Hearts like I always have even if they were in the third division. Well, Vlad's reign is almost as bad as that so I'll still continue to go and cheer on the men who wear maroon. That's because even though they might be useless, if they are wearing the same colours as me, they are still my hereos.

Harry Palmer

FJ, I hope you enjoy Ibiza!

That's what I'm after, some good old fashioned passion. Forget the guff of behind the scenes for a few 'moments'. Why Heart of Midlothian?

By the way I can here a Robin.... he is singing.....

At one time it meant everything to me - my passion, my religion.

I sincerely hope I can feel passion like that again. There was a time I'd argue wi9th ANYONE who slagged off Hearts to my face to the point of fisticuffs. Now, I end up agreeing. It's just so sad.

Broxburn_Jambo

Sacrifice beyond the call of duty, that is what the club will always represent to me.

Ogi fae Gorgie

It's part of me, always will be no matter what. No one will ever take my passion and love away...and I mean no one....no matter how hard they try.

Very similar to what the OP says. Everything about the club is what makes me the supporter i am. As they say, it`s in the blood, i embrace everything that is Hearts regards to the history and the present.

PS.....i can`t figure out people who change allegiance? Lets be honest, they can`t really be an out and out fan because it`s one of the unwritten laws.

But even at that, it`s so unthinkable. These people can`t be that passionate or been brought up steeped in it all.

I come from Gorgie (ok, Moat Place), and they are still my local team - you cannot stop loving or supporting your team - met a husband of Fiona's friend's, he's got the accent and that, so smartypants me says, "OK Paul, are you City or United?"

Eff that, says he, "Wanderers all the way!"

chester copperpot

I regard my club as part of my family. For me its part of my everyday life, kind of like my kids, only slightly less important. Have watched and followed Hearts for many a moon.

When Hearts lose, it tends to affect my moods all weekend, especially when its against one of the OF or Hibs (You'd think we'd get used to it eh?).

The 2 cup final victories along with the drubbing in the Semi will stay up there in my memory as my top days in my life ever. Only having my 2 kids born succeeds these memories of happiness.

When you feel as strongly and as passionately about something, when there's something wrong with it, it does hurt you to witness whats happening with us at the moment.

I was Jam Tarted 40 years ago, then Jamboed whenever, now I'm bewildered.

Scotland's just a small nation with a huge appetite for football, Romanov never anticipated this and sadly for a submariner is way way out of his *ucking depth.

Didn't we almost have it all?

Charlie-Brown

Hearts are my team & my club but other fans have their team, their club - we're all just fitba fans and for most of us outside the ugly sisters that includes joy / fun / hope / despair / anger / frustration ... usually these things go in cycles - good times and bad - "though we sometimes go down we can aye come back up" :)

I'd love to say I was a Hearts fan BECAUSE of the way our team went to defend our country as a team, despite them having an excuse not to go and it costing them sporting success.

I'd love to say I was a Hearts fan BECAUSE we are the biggest team in the city.

Neither of the above is true, I am a Hearts fan because as a nipper it was what my father and I done, it was a calling, it was a duty to follow our club. When I started going to see Hearts we were rank rotten, a yo yo team that rarely saw the quality that I have since seen.

As well as a link to my now dead father, it is a link to my son, something that we will share and pass on down the Musemic generations; Generations of football fans that love Hearts. It has NEVER been about winning (christ those early days showed that) it has NEVER about being the best, it has ALWAYS about being Heart of Midlothian Football Club, a proud, proud club with a proud history and a semi bright future.

Heart of Midlothian also means more to me than my personal enjoyment of matchdays, I can sacrifice that short term for the greater good. Hopefully, by the time my son gets into it, he will benefit from those fans that strove for change and all he will talk about are famous cup wins and European runs during his childhood.

Guest juvehearts

I sincerely hope I can feel passion like that again. There was a time I'd argue wi9th ANYONE who slagged off Hearts to my face to the point of fisticuffs. Now, I end up agreeing. It's just so sad.

sums it up to a tee.

romnov killed any passion i have for this once great club. & i am not alone in this.

sad sad day when i cant even get excited on a saturday anymore :(

Drew Busby !

It's as close as a marriage. Right now it's just one of these marital low points where I can't be bothered with it (Hearts that is, not my real wife !). However like any marriage , you stick with it and good times inevitably come around again.

My best memories of when I was younger was going to Tynecastle with my Dad. Unfortunately I didn't go enough.

But It was the walk along Gorgie.

Walking through the turnstyle (SP?).

Walking through the concourse to the best view in the world.

Seeing so many people gather in one place.

Without even seeing a kick off a ball I was hooked.

Still am.

Always will be.

Other posters will have things that mean more to them ie kids, marriage (Be honest you love Hearts more) but I don't. It is the thing I look forward to every week. We lose I still look towards next saturday.

I love being the big team.

I love 1874.

I love Tynecastle.

I love Heart of Midlothain Football Club.

It's as close as a marriage. Right now it's just one of these marital low points where I can't be bothered with it (Hearts that is, not my real wife !). However like any marriage , you stick with it and good times inevitably come around again.

Thats pretty much how i see it too.

Cant live with them. Cant live without them.

I stick with Hearts through the hard times in the hope of seeing the likes of 98or 06 again. Just as in marriage i can take a bit of head nipping in the hope that one day her head might just pop under the downy again. :P

I live in hope of both !!

chester copperpot
i can take a bit of head nipping in the hope that one day her head might just pop under the downy again. :P

I live in hope of both !!

:rofl:

:arf:

CornhillHearts

Enough that when the club was going to the wall to become an activist for SOH with another about 200 regular diehards, no excuses for those on here from Edinburgh that profess there undying love for Hearts, when the chips were down you were awol.

It's a way of life....it's as simple as that! I genuinely can't imagine supporting another time, it's all I've ever known and I wouldn't change it for the world, the highs and the lows!! :107years:

gorgie rd eh11
sums it up to a tee.

romnov killed any passion i have for this once great club. & i am not alone in this.

sad sad day when i cant even get excited on a saturday anymore :(

Aye you can't get excited, there is no passion, but you're logged on and posting messages at 10am on a saturday morning. Just how uninterested can you get.:confused:

davemclaren
Enough that when the club was going to the wall to become an activist for SOH with another about 200 regular diehards, no excuses for those on here from Edinburgh that profess there undying love for Hearts, when the chips were down you were awol.

We are not worthy. :pray:

Guest Freewheelin' Jambo

Constant as the Northern Star

Heart of Midlothian. Always there.

Always will be.

Independence

Try supporting them for 52 years!

Relegation, shocking performances in Scottish Cup Semi Finals, a terrible derby day humiliation, saving Tynecastle and much more!!!!!!!!!

I always have and will argue for the Hearts cause!

Now the answer to the question EVERYTHING!

Both my grandfathers, father and now 2 sons did and WILL do the same!!!!!!

Its my past, my present and my future and I wouldn't change it for anything.

I remember when I was younger we used to go and visit my great grandad on the way to Tynecastle. He lived in gorgie his whole life and the one thing i remember him talking about more than anything was 'the mighty jambos'. He would talk for hours on end, probably without anybody even listening half the time.

The year he died was the first year I had my own season ticket and I guess at that time his overwhelming passion for the club was passed on to me.

Through the highs and the lows, no matter where I am in person, if Hearts are playing, thats where my heart is.

Archived