Bonus Contracts

Statto

What is everybody's thoughts on this?

Would having all of the players on bonus contracts improve the team?

Example, Larry is on ?15K a week. If he was to get paid ?10,000 a week basic pay with a ?1,000 appearance fee ?1,000 win bonus and ?2,000 goal bonus, Larry would be rattling them in. He'd be putting the ball in the net at least twice per game.

In this case, we'd be paying him ?16K this week, you may say we're paying him ?1,000 more than normal but, he scored 2 goals for the team, he'd deserve it more than someone who isn't getting a game because their not trying in training. That's another point, everyone would be desperate to play to earn more money, they'd be playing for the shirt in training, we'd get the best out of players which would also get a bigger transfer fee AND we'd get to see who really are the talentless nobodies and who has potential but just not trying.

I think the issue has had bad publicity especially on here with Juho Makela's contract. He is apparently on a big goal bonus and that is why he isn't playing. I don't know how much he is getting but it is obviously a lot.

The down side to a bonus contract is if like Makela, it is too high, you may not play.

What if Hearts were to half all players wages and add bonus' in. The bonus' could add up to a maximum of 20% more than their current wage. Don't you think we'd be playing better, winning more games. Hearts wouldn't be paying more money because only 11 players can play (14 if you include 3 subs), 1/3rd of the players getting paid 1/5th more, we'd be saving money and playing better.

I wish I was a manager.:rolleyes:

This is basically what Vlad said he wants to do with regards to the ridiculous amount of money we are paying out to players.

It sounds like a good plan to me. So why hasn't he done this in the last three years?

Bonus pay just panders to the lazy b***ard attitude of too many of todays overpaid footballers.

No pride in their job.

****ing pathetic.

No player would agree to it, unless desperate.

The better players may agree, it's a possible 20% wage rise. The lazy players would probally turn it down but then those are the players that I don't want at the club so we'd sell them at the next possible window and bring in players who would challenge for positions and play for the jersey.

I think we should offer this to Basso;

?3,000/week basic pay

?500 appearance fee

?2,500 clean sheet bonus in Category A matches

?1,500 CS bonus in Category B matches

Between ?3,000 and (?5,000-?6,000) a week, just short of the ?7,000 he's asking for but double what we're currently offering. I'd happily give him ?6,000 a week if he kept 38 clean sheets, we'd be league champions!

J.T.F.Robertson
This is basically what Vlad said he wants to do with regards to the ridiculous amount of money we are paying out to players.

It sounds like a good plan to me. So why hasn't he done this in the last three years?

That wouldn't come across as quite so daft, if he hadn't been the one OK'ing the whole feckin farce, in the first place.

J.T.F.Robertson
The better players may agree, it's a possible 20% wage rise. The lazy players would probally turn it down but then those are the players that I don't want at the club so we'd sell them at the next possible window and bring in players who would challenge for positions and play for the jersey.

?3,000/week basic pay

?500 appearance fee

Between ?3,000 and (?5,000-?6,000) a week, just short of the ?7,000 he's asking for but double what we're currently offering. I'd happily give him ?6,000 a week if he kept 38 clean sheets, we'd be league champions!

They could institute an incentive system, say, as of now, but there's no way any of them will allow a re-negotiation of their present deals.

By the way, am I alone in thinking this Basso character, aint worth anywhere near, even 3 grand?

They could institute an incentive system, say, as of now, but there's no way any of them will allow a re-negotiation of their present deals.

By the way, am I alone in thinking this Basso character, aint worth anywhere near, even 3 grand?

?3K is what the high earning Lithuanians are on, Miko, Velicka when he was here. It is a high wage in Scotland but not when compared to what some players are getting at Hearts.

Banks has said before he rates Basso really highly as a keeper, Banks trains the Hearts keepers so he will see his attributes and what elements of his game need improving.

I feel Basso is a good keeper but he came into the team at a time that everything at Hearts was depressing TBH, I think he hasn't really been giving a proper chance with the Hearts fans, I myself have said in the past I didn't think Basso was a good goalie but I suppose I was just trying to make excuses which is wrong, I called him "Zibi2", that's a quote by me, I will take that back, I think he deserves a shot at the first team, the problem is Hearts are now trying to cut spending so my understanding is they are trying to get him to sign a lower deal, I understand why he has refused, but I hope he signs but I won't blame him if he doesn't.

Buffalo Bill

I like the idea in principle.

Teams that do well should be well rewarded.

But we don't have a team.

We have a very big squad of over-paid, under-performing journeymen.

They are individuals, here one week, gone the next; fly-by-nights.

This idea would've worked well for our good teams of the 80s and 90s.

But not for this sorry lot.

Buffalo Bill

Jambo in Bathgate

Yes , the bonus scheme is the way forward. Most of our troubles regarding wages came from the first full season when we won the cup and finished second. Romanov banked on getting into the group stages of the CL. However we were woefully short with the team playing poorly in both legs. Some players let us down. We have to be sensible with the wages we offer from now on.

With a good managment team and a few more SPL/Championship experienced players to ensure at 3rd and decent cup runs next season. I believe this is the best we can hope for until the new stand is built to increase our capacity and increase income.

It might work elsewhere but you'd have to be pretty desperate or stupid to sign up to that here. With no ryhme or reason to a players selection it would be a very unreliable income. Even for the better ones.

Big squad means pay as you play (which is what Bonus pay system is effectively) is undesirable for players.

Trim the squad down markedly and it could work, but not as things stand.

Charlie-Brown

I am positive the Hearts team of 1985-86 were on quite modest basic wages with a good bonus system for appearances, wins, goals etc but the players all earned good money that year & got them all wanting to play & do well etc. Slight downside was that I think the club hadn't budgeted on doing quite as well having been 5th & 7th in the 2 previous seasons and Mercer might have got his sums a bit wrong that year - however the players earned good wages & were rewarded for their 'success' on the pitch.

That wouldn't come across as quite so daft, if he hadn't been the one OK'ing the whole feckin farce, in the first place.

Wasn't defending the erse mate.

?3,000/week basic pay

?500 appearance fee

WTF Seriously

Basso isnt worth anything near 3k a week never mind 7k a week

Basso is a truly awful keeper who lacks simple goalkeeping skills at times, 2 half decent performances dont change that

we should be looking to punt him, I find our offering of new deals to average players with time left quite worrying tbh

Theres no reason too

You could pick up a dozen keepers of bassos level for 3k a week

Time some people have a reality check, we have far too much overpaid pish at this club

Basso is no better than the likes of soutar,mclean,harpur, mcneil, who all warm benches for a fraction of what he is paid

Basso please leave and take half the squad with you

Big squad means pay as you play (which is what Bonus pay system is effectively) is undesirable for players.

Trim the squad down markedly and it could work, but not as things stand.

Pretty much agree with that. The thing is this is nothing new and is pretty much how every single club outside the OF and us operate. Modest wages with decent incentives however the players currently at the club are not going to take a cut. We will need to clear out the highly paid under performing players first and start again IMO. With a manager making the decision on what players come and go.

portobellojambo1

I fail to understand why people are including appearance money in this.

I go to work every day, and when I walk in every morning my boss doesn't say to me "ah, your in today, right we will give you an extra ?25 in your salary at the end of the month".

As has been said payments based on bonuses are fine on a level playing field, within the environment which is Hearts, where s h y t e to mediocre standards rule the wave player wise at present (its all about keeping people out who don't toe the line, putting s h y t e in the shop window, increasing the profile of dross, results are not fecking important in the overall scheme of things), there is anything but a level playing field.

You could have a situation where the worst players could be taking home the highest salaries, and even in Vlad's crazy world I just cannot see that being an attractive proposition to the better quality players on the books.

I think its a great idea, but the problem is that unless every club starts to go the same way the better players will go to clubs that are giving higher fixed wages.

I fail to understand why people are including appearance money in this.

I go to work every day, and when I walk in every morning my boss doesn't say to me "ah, your in today, right we will give you an extra ?25 in your salary at the end of the month".

As has been said payments based on bonuses are fine on a level playing field, within the environment which is Hearts, where s h y t e to mediocre standards rule the wave player wise at present (its all about keeping people out who don't toe the line, putting s h y t e in the shop window, increasing the profile of dross, results are not fecking important in the overall scheme of things), there is anything but a level playing field.

You could have a situation where the worst players could be taking home the highest salaries, and even in Vlad's crazy world I just cannot see that being an attractive proposition to the better quality players on the books.

I worked in place a while back where the turnover of staff was so ridiculous that if you turned up everyday for work you got an attendance bonus at the end of the month.

Charlie-Brown

PJ1 - in the not so distant past when Mercer was chairman & MacDonald was manager Hearts payed quite modest basic wages but this was every players guaranteed minimum earnings - there was a sliding scale of bonuses for 1st team appearances, reserve team appearances, goals scored, wins / points bonuses, cup bonuses, league placing bonuses etc these were all agreed pre-season - they players total take home pay was dictated by how successful they & the team were - it was as close to a merit system as you can probably get ..... sometime later around Robinson/Jeffries time and post bosman relatively high basic wages became the norm and most clubs financial positions have deteriorated as a result.

I think the bonus system you spoke about worked in blocks of 4 games.

A win in the 1st game gave a bonus of ?250, game 2 = ?500, game 3 = ?750 and game 4 = ?1000.

The next game was then game 1 again = ?250.

PJ1 - in the not so distant past when Mercer was chairman & MacDonald was manager Hearts payed quite modest basic wages but this was every players guaranteed minimum earnings - there was a sliding scale of bonuses for 1st team appearances, reserve team appearances, goals scored, wins / points bonuses, cup bonuses, league placing bonuses etc these were all agreed pre-season - they players total take home pay was dictated by how successful they & the team were - it was as close to a merit system as you can probably get ..... sometime later around Robinson/Jeffries time and post bosman relatively high basic wages became the norm and most clubs financial positions have deteriorated as a result.

Jambo, Goodbye

Well according to my old man the last time we had a bonus system in place was the 85/86 season when we almost won the league.

Players would get paid so much and if they kept on winning that amount would increase until about 5 games i think where it would go back to the original amount thus enticing the players to keep winning streaks going.

Would love to see the system introduced again

Guest JamboRobbo

nice idea in theory.

But anyone who believes the players aren't already on deals with appearance bonus, win bonus and goal money etc clearly have little clue.

Like every other football club, we'll be paying appearance, win bonus and some folks will have goal bonuses already.

And no player is gonna give up his current deal and sign a new deal with a smaller basic wage and bigger bonuses.

I worked in place a while back where the turnover of staff was so ridiculous that if you turned up everyday for work you got an attendance bonus at the end of the month.

A Call Centre per chance ??? ;)

In the 80's dundee untd had a similar scheme. Except it was much harsher!

1st team players on ?150 per week basic wage. (yes one hundred and fifty pounds)

?500 win bonus for all players in the 13. ?750 win bonus 2 games on the trot, ?1000, 3 games, ?1500 each subsequent game in the streak.

players hated it, but as it was pre bosman, they couldn't do much. Now however, it wont work. players would just leave and get a better basic wage elsewhere.

Charlie-Brown
nice idea in theory.

But anyone who believes the players aren't already on deals with appearance bonus, win bonus and goal money etc clearly have little clue.

Like every other football club, we'll be paying appearance, win bonus and some folks will have goal bonuses already.

And no player is gonna give up his current deal and sign a new deal with a smaller basic wage and bigger bonuses.

Of course players current deals are similar JR - it is just the way that they are geared that is different - previously basic wage was lower and bonuses a higher percentage of players total earnings - now the reverse is true with higher basic wages and bonuses a smaller percentage as a result.....this can potentially be a de-motivator for some players as they earn good wages whether they play well or not or in some cases even if they don't play.

Maybe we will have to turn over a bigger part of the first team squad until a more sensible wage structure is fully implemented. But the highest earners appear to be the brought in players not the home grown ones.

Commander Harris
Isnt it great how everyone seems to know exactly how much everyone is paid.

that's what I was thinking.

Archived